Houzz Logo Print
ryewnutz

to basement or not to basement

ryewnutz
9 anni fa
Purchased an older distressed bay area property in desirable neighborhood. There are no two story houses anywhere in the neighborhood. The houses are older; basements are rare but not unheard of. Our wish is to build a basement below a new one story as game/media room with half bath and murphy bed to store the in-laws =). A contractor told us it's an extra $100K in addition to the standard price/ft for ground and basement level footage to do this. In other words its $100K more than doing the same area in a two story.

Does this sound reasonable? Does a basement count as living space sq footage if finished with bath?

Commenti (6)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 anni fa
    Prices differ in different regions of the state or country or site. To see if it is "reasonable", ask another contractor in your area and be sure to give them the same information you gave the other contractor. In the end it is up to you to determine if it is reasonable for you.

Whether a finished basement "counts" is dependent upon the use of the answer, whether it is for construction cost or sale description or taxation or whatever purpose.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 anni fa
    The extra room in the basement will most likely help when selling.
  • PRO
    Our Town Plans
    9 anni fa
    I'm not sure you'd be able to get $100,000 back if/when you sell the house - especially if it's not a walk-out basement. You might not care about getting it all back. A basement IS a nice thing to have, so there's a certain value to you. Can you check with a local realtor to get some feedback?
  • PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    Need help on basement layout will post more pics
  • PRO
    Wahoo Walls
    9 anni fa

A little late, but if you haven't done it yet basements are not as pricey as your first bid. Shop around and use the correct materials in a flood zone.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".