Houzz Logo Print
damiencolfer

Curb Appeal- help please!

Damien Colfer
9 anni fa
Not sure why I feel this way, but I think something is lacking. Perhaps too much shrubbery? Maybe the outdoor lighting needs to be larger? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for taking a look!

Commenti (14)

• PRO
    Alterior Motives Design
    9 anni fa
    I would make the stairs and landing larger by the front door they seem too small for the size of the house and that way you could remove the plantings that are too large and put large black pots with hostas in them for a more updated look (see photo), change out the lights for large black fixtures. I would personally paint out the white around the door to all red. I agree, all plantings seem dated and is in need an overhaul, smaller sized planting and maybe a small japanese maple, or weeping birch would add some interest. I like the walkway material, it just needs to be widened and plantings along the front side would be nice as well....lighting along your walkway would also be a nice addition.
  • PRO
    Alterior Motives Design
    9 anni fa
    I meant to say remove the lanterns along walkway or paint them black, but I would do low voltage lighting on the ground instead and maybe two brick pillars at the entrance from driveway with black lights to match those at the door.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Consider investing in a front portico with larger landing and window cornice treatments.
    Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · Maggiori informazioni

Authentic Colonial Transformation · Maggiori informazioni

West Hartford Portico · Maggiori informazioni

New Portico for Griffin House · Maggiori informazioni

Front Portico with Copper Roof and Tapered Columns · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
    9 anni fa
    I would paint your house white! Leave black details, come in with BIG lanterns, up your landscaping, probably with a few evergreens. I think that would look so hip and stylish! Door, all black. Agree that the door needs more to it. At the very least some paneling above it, as the sides seem unproportional to the height.
  • Denita
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    I agree with the first poster, earliglo: the landscaping needs an overhaul and the lighting is not sized correctly (too small). I also think the walkway needs to be completely changed, but rather than curved, it should be a straight - which is a more formal approach (pun intended). :)
    Your shutters could use shutter hardware so they look functional.

You could add a small portico like this colonial (expand the photo). It has the walkway coming straight out to the sidewalk. Or do the Authentic Colonial Transformation referenced by Scott Design above.
    Purdue Spring 2012 · Maggiori informazioni

Pic #2 is the same house with a close up of the door and shutter hardware
    Purdue Spring 2012 · Maggiori informazioni
  • hac0410
    9 anni fa
    Consider toning down the white around the front door. To me, it competes with the beautiful red door. Maybe an off-white or cream color? The photos Denita uploaded have a nicer color transition framing the door.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 anni fa
    Just define the path, as it looks unfinished. Edge it with either the same or contrasting stone, set about 1" higher than the path.
  • bgfuqua
    9 anni fa
    do not paint the brick - it is fine. agree the landscaping should be redone, and all white light fixtures replaced or painted black.
  • Nicole
    9 anni fa
    Perhaps some mouldings or a window above the door. I also drew one (from paint) of your home. I would definitly get rid of bushes, perhaps finds one that sit lower to the ground like a boxwood, If money is not an issue i would also widen the path and edge the garden with a brick/stone(as seen in photo as well)
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Here is a view of your house, with new header window, new lanterns, and trimmed bushes.
  • Nicole
    9 anni fa
    sstar that looks great
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 anni fa
    Front yard · Maggiori informazioni

A portico would look fabulous.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 anni fa
    here's another portico look on your house.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".