Houzz Logo Print
chris_shannon

Moving a large Frangipani (Plumeria), Western Australia

Chris Shannon
10 anni fa
We are building an extension and need to move a large frangipani (sometimes called a Plumeria). My plan is to move it from its current position and build up an island retaining wall using limestone blocks approximately 45cms above the ground level. Any suggestions for moving, pruning the tree and preparing the new site ? I would like to do it myself to keep the cost down. I've had a professional quote $5000

Commenti (6)

• PRO
    Darling Dwelling Designs
    9 anni fa
    I'd love an update on the plumeria move! Did you take on the project yourself?
    I don't know if this helps at all, but as I've been researching moving some other medium sized trees this video came up:
    The soil and ready to go new "home" for the tree seem to be the most important elements of a successful transplant.

My other question for you is, do you have to move it? It looks pretty established where it is. What are the extension plans and could they be re-worked at all to leave the tree where it is?
  • Chris Shannon
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hello, Thanks for that. The weight ended up being too much. I looked at cutting back the canopy but looking at other trees that have been cut back the new branches seem to be very weak and skinny and it would take years to get back to full size. The total weight including the root ball was about 1,000 kg (sorry I only know metric weights) the guys who moved it brought a small tractor and also had equipment to secure it in place for 2 years. You are right soil is important. But also from my research fixing it in place is vital. It is winter here which was a good time to move it but means we have had a few storms. I'm glad its been professionally fixed. I'm now building a small island retaining wall around the base of the tree. My plan is to plant that out with cottage style plants and then use some timber from the old part of the house we have demolished to build a bench. Houses in Perth in the 1930's were generally constructed from a hard wood called Jarrah, its beautiful. Far to beautiful to throw away. Picture of the new position for the tree and the start of the wall. Its going slowly ! It was very established but we really had no viable option to keep it in position. Thanks for your interest !
  • Utente-230339826
    3 anni fa

Hi Chris, I am in Perth, and am also looking to do exactly what your have done here. Building an extension and need to move my dearly loved frangipani tree. Can you tell me the name of the people who moved your tree? I haven’t got any quotes yet, so I think the ones you used would be a good starting point for me. Also if I may ask, how much did they charge you?

• Utente-53227867
    3 anni fa

Yes I’d like to know too please! Looking to buy one and move into my garden.

• Kylie Newton
    3 anni fa

Hi Chris, I would love to know who helped you with this project also for a similar frangipani move! Also, did it still cost $5000? Many thanks!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".