Houzz Logo Print
kimber_ludwig_bahr

Porch ideas

We have been renovating this house for the past 2 1/2 years. We are now ready to add a porch back on after removing the old rotted one. We are undecided on whether we want to screen it in or not. We cannot wrap it around because of the gas meter. Thanks :)

Commenti (15)

• TanCalGal
    10 anni fa
    What will the small porch be used for? Maybe you need only a few stairs to the ground & not a small porch? Will you sit or eat on the porch? Do you need to screen out insects?
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato TanCalGal
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 anni fa
    Is this door the main entrance to the house or the back of the house?
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato Barbara Griffith Designs
  • Kimber Ludwig_Bahr
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    We have a side entrance that we use now. It did have a small porch before, and we want a new one added back for use as well as esthetics...might want to screen it in but I am worried it will look funny and close off the front of the house...
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    I certainly wouldn't put back on anything as bulky looking as the previous porch roof. Maybe you can just add a slightly deeper version of the roof that is on the front window for symmetry. I think the porch should extend past the window there so you could have a supporting post right and left, but keep the roof shallow and don't take it out to the front of the house, but go just enough past the window so it is covered by it and the post is not in front of the window view.
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • littlecottage
    10 anni fa
    I love what you have done to your house, the new color scheme is beautiful and enhances everything, especially the roof lines. I agree with decoenthusiaste regarding the porch roof and posts, etc. Since you can't connect the side and front door with a wrap porch, you could make both separate porches similar in style. The two entrances are already connected by the walkway, so you can unify the front and side of the house with some attractive landscaping between the porches and in the front under the large window (where the long downspout is). I would not screen the front porch, I think your instinct is correct that it will look closed off. I would put the front steps in line with the front door, rather than on the side where they were originally.
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato littlecottage
  • TanCalGal
    10 anni fa
    I'd opt for a simple yet stylish front door landing like this:
    Harbor View Hills · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    Deborah Vieira Design
    10 anni fa
    I agree that an open porch will look more attractive than screened-in. I'd further recommend opening the porch entirely up, with stairs along both sides. Similar to this picture, but, as advised by decoenthusiaste, with a single porch roof in style akin to the front window, and side posts: I think this style of porch would not only be welcoming and more contemporary, but would also play nicely with your home's beautiful update and color scheme. I also imagine a comfy bench or chairs beside the front door, and littlecottage's landscaping ideas!
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato Deborah Vieira Design
  • lucidos
    10 anni fa
    They can move the gas meter. I've had that done many times. Give them a call. It would make perfect sense to integrate the 2 doorways. The wrap around would look amazing on that wonderful old home.
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato lucidos
  • Kimber Ludwig_Bahr
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

UPDATED PHOTO

• lhutch13
    8 anni fa
    Awesome! Great job!
    Kimber Ludwig_Bahr ha ringraziato lhutch13
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

I thought you couldn't wrap it around because of a gas meter. What changed? Looks nice.

• shirlpp
    8 anni fa

I think she had the gas meter moved. This post is 2 years old.

• Kimber Ludwig_Bahr
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I didn't move the meter, we put a trap door in the floor

• lucidos
    8 anni fa

Kudos! Sometimes the blue laws are tricky with accessibility. I'm glad you were able to accommodate it without the expense.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".