Family room with grandchildren invading it with their toys

boons13
10 anni fa
I love the grandchildren. How to co-exist with their toys

Commenti (12)

• PRO
    Rob Kyne
    10 anni fa
    We put the posts on the outside because pressure treated lumber has lots of chemicals injected into them for ground contact. We would not want those chemicals anywhere near our soils or vegetables.
  • Christine R
    10 anni fa
    do they live with you? how often/how much time do they spend there? Do you have a picture of the space? how old are the kids?
  • Christine R
    10 anni fa
    This is the story of my life. I have a 6 and 3 year old, so I can sympathize. Depending on how much space you have, I would try picking some of their favorites and give them a corner of the family room to play in. You could use a piece of furniture (bookshelf, trunk, bin, whatever) to store the toys in. 3 years old is old enough to start picking up toys when done - make a game of it and they will be more apt to do it. The other thing you can do is get rid of extra toys. The grandparents give our kids toys all the time and sometimes the sheer volume makes it difficult to contain. Less is more!

I also have converted our unused formal dining room into our play room. It is next to the kitchen and near our family room so it's closer to the action. Not the classiest solution, but I put a line of masking tape on the floor by the doorways to show them where the toys have to stay. If the space you have designated for them downstairs is not being used the way you intended, maybe you need to swap some spaces or re-evaluate how and where you are using the space you have.

I think it's really nice that you do have a designated space for them. You are awesome grandparents!
  • boons13
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thank you. Great advice. I was looking for storage that can compement our set up and furniture.
  • PRO
    Design Elements
    10 anni fa
    How about some nice cubbies? Target has some great ones for a decent price, available in a few different finishes as well. You can get cute little fabric bin inserts for them also.
  • boons13
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thank you, Design Elements. Are cubbies available on line?
  • PRO
  • boons13
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thank you!
  • nasmijati
    10 anni fa
    Small children do best with low, open shelving. If you use bins, attach a photo of the contents to the outside. This will also help visiting children and relatives help pick up the toys.

The first photo shows a folding storage unit from Lakeshore Learning. Lakeshore Learning is one of the biggest suppliers of school furniture in the USA. It is expensive, but lasts at least 15 years in a school setting. In a home, it will last until your young grandchildren have grandchildren of their own!
    The second photo shows low shelving along the entire wall.
    The third photo shows a book rack with the covers of the books displayed.
    The fourth photo shows bins on the bottom section of a storage unit.
  • boons13
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thank you. I was confident I will find great advice!
  • boons13
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    The second photo is in the playroom in the lower level.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".