Houzz Logo Print
borzoidog

Squeaky floors......

Kent VanHelsing
10 anni fa
I pose this question dear Houzzers- in older/historic houses, do you regard floor squeaks a nuisance, or part of the intrinsic charm? Not deafening cracks and pops every step mind you; more like the creaking that gave you away when sneaking a midnight cookie from Grandma's jar.....

Commenti (7)

• PRO
    Through the Woods Fine Wood Floors, Inc.
    10 anni fa
    I agree. The charm of old houses is not just their beauty & craftsmanship, but the reminder of the cultures & people who created them.

New floors should not squeak. It is a sign of improper installation.
  • dynoskip
    9 anni fa

We are refinishing the oak flooring in our 1920 house and my husband has asked me about the squeaks, "The time is now if we're going to fix them." I love the squeaks, find them very charming. Good question, I googled to see if anyone else feels the same and was shocked to see all the pages about fixing the squeaks.

• Heidi Dyke
    9 anni fa
    I like my little squeaks and creaks if they're innocent...i have one in my living room, though, that was the result of a poor patch job. The offending board is visibly bowed and rubbing off its mate...i just haven't gotten around to fixing it.
  • intown123
    9 anni fa
    I only mind them when my toddlers are sleeping - between the floors and the radiators it's like 4th of July :)
  • dbh
    9 anni fa

Part of the charm. :)

• PRO
    Earthrite Construction, LLC
    9 anni fa

There really is no such thing as new! wood is alive and is usually at least 10-200 years old before harvested and it continues to move for its entire life, even after it is cut and kiln/Air dried. New floors will shift as well. Sounds from flooring usually occur from the joists beneath, joist hangers etc. in old and in new homes. None of which means an installation was improper. That being said, craftsmanship speaks louder than a squeak and it is evident in its felt impression. So is it a good sqeak or a bad one:)

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".