Houzz Logo Print
scland

Granite Question

scland
10 anni fa
Does anyone who works with granite know if this neon green spot in our granite is natural? The granite guy says he won't replace the huge slab that is our center island and that this is normal and it can't
And shouldn't be fixed....the island is the center point of our kitchen and you see this right away. It's about the size of a nickel. Any feedback is appreciated!

Commenti (21)

• grobby
    10 anni fa
    At first, I thought I was looking at a piece of tape marking the spot. Am I right, the green spot is the problem, if so it doesn't look " normal." I would get a second opinion done without elaborating on the first installer's comments. I can see where you wouldn't be happy.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 anni fa
    It is always best to pick your own slabs as granite can vary widely. This does not look normal to me either but I would check with other experts.
  • cking280
    10 anni fa
    I would definitely push back on this- it looks out of place & will probably always bother you! We had a similar situation with a piece of granite & they eventually replaced it. Frustrating!
  • raineycarole
    10 anni fa
    Is it granite? The green spot looks too random for granite. Did you see the entire slab when you picked it out?
  • mcbriec
    10 anni fa
    I am no expert, but I've done a ton of granite shopping and have never seen anything like this. Unless you personally selected this slab with this green thing on it, I would fight back ASAP as this is completely unacceptable!
  • scland
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    I didn't pick out the slab. I didn't even think to ask...

Thanks for everyone's comments!
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    If that is granite, then something is wrong and he is trying to pass it off on you. It is an inferior piece. It looks more like a manmade surface like Quartstone (sp?) that is made from recycled or regular glass bits. it looks like something got in the mix.
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    This is why we need to be proactive with choosing granite. sorry for your trouble.
  • santoslhauper
    10 anni fa
    I worked in the stone business for 3 years, and I never saw a random neon green spot in a rock like that. Some rock has some pretty vibrant color, but it is very rare for it to be in an otherwise brown stone. Mother Nature can come up with some crazy colors, but usually not one drop amid a sea of tans and browns. It kind of looks like an Akemi patch, but I'm baffled as to why it would be green instead of color matched. Even adding no tint to the akemi would match decently (it looks like amber untinted). Does it feel different if you run your finger across it?
  • scland
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    It does feel different when I run my fingers across it.
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    Are you sure that's real stone and not a manmade fabricated product? If it is I could see the fleck getting in there. Otherwise something got camouflaged on there.

In any case that is totally unacceptable period and needs to be replaced.

Get another expert in there to look at it and document. I'm wondering if you have a genuine natural granite product there.
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    santos- can you explain "Akemi patch" for us?
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    never mind, I looked it up myself. love google!
  • PRO
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    10 anni fa
    If its a emerald, then thank your granite guy ;) Seriously, are you in fact sure that he supplied granite and not a man made product. Looks like quartz. I'd get another professionals opinion and ask for them to positively identify the product
  • km kane
    10 anni fa
    that doesn't even look like granite. No, it's not granite. What happened here?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 anni fa
    Would drive me crazy, I would not accept it and replace it.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 anni fa
    I would contact the supplier/installer and ask the origin of this piece.... something is wrong here, may be granite, but very poor example.
  • santoslhauper
    10 anni fa
    @sunnydrew, Google is awesome, but for those that didn't look it up, Akemi is a two part epoxy filler used to patch chips and small holes in stone. 'Akemi' is like Kleenex, a brand name used for all brands of the product.
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    When you asked her to feel it, I knew it may be some kind of filler. Nice detective work!
  • PRO
    Carpets Plus/ Cabinets Plus of Saint Louis
    10 anni fa
    It looks like this stone is a piece of quartz counter top you fabricator should be able to remove the green spot by drilling it out and filling with a color matched epoxy. I have seen random colors in the past mixed in quartz counter tops and have had my fabricators field correct the issue.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".