Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What one household habit would you like to change?

Emily H
10 anni fa
Is there one habit you have in living in or taking care of your house that you would like to change? (Throwing away magazines instead of stacking them, squeegeeing the shower door after every use) What is it?

Share your plan! (Photos encouraged)

Interior Designer's Home Office · Maggiori informazioni

Commenti (76)

• indianpatti
    10 anni fa
    I would like to be able to afford a maid!

Wish hubby would use the dishwasher instead of insisting on handwashing dishes!
  • charleee
    10 anni fa
    indianpatti, only it the dishwasher is *totally* broken would I handwash a dish!
  • indianpatti
    10 anni fa
    I know, right? He says it "brings him back to his childhood". I just get tired of the clean dishes laying there drying. I'm always waking up to this as he is night owl. sigh.
  • User
    10 anni fa
    indianpatti, if I couldn't use a dishwasher, that would be a dealbreaker lol!
  • dawnmarilynn
    10 anni fa
    indianpatti- this is where the art of bargaining comes in.... :)
  • indianpatti
    10 anni fa
    He's a stubborn Sicilian .. it's just not worth it ... I might add that he does all the cooking and cleanup, so I should not even complain!
  • printesa
    10 anni fa
    @indianpatti, I am guilty of the same,,,washing by hand all the dishes. I want to get used to using the dishwasher, but somehow I don't. To have them well washed, I need to put in not too many (otherwise I find some that need extra washing) and it feels like it takes forever to finish:)
  • lailastrand55
    10 anni fa
    Bungalowmo,
    Love the pic of your fluffy boy! We've always had fluffy friends sharing our home.
  • charleee
    10 anni fa
    Cooking! I would like to break the habit of cooking! Never want to do it again!
  • judygilpin
    10 anni fa
    I don't mind cooking, just don't like to come up with what to make. When I ask my husband for suggestions, I wish he'd come up with something other than "I don't care" or I don't know"...."whatever you'd like to make".
  • charleee
    10 anni fa
    Yes! Mine says "whatever is easy for you". Grrr.....
  • Mark
    10 anni fa
    I have to be more diligent about cleaning out my fridge. I say that I have to clean out my fridge every time I open the door and yet I find it's one of the things that I keep putting off.
  • charleee
    10 anni fa
    Mark, if you containerize the fridge's contents, it's much easier. One plastic shoebox to hold stray items like margarine, cheeses, small things like that make it a snap!
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Adopt a teenage boy = no leftovers, ever. Or a Labrador dog. garbage guts,eat anything! However they don't swear at you and can't reach high cupboards.
  • User
    10 anni fa
    My kids wish I didn't sing takeoff s of songs in the kitchen. They think its a bad habit.
  • charleee
    10 anni fa
    Chook, singing is NEVER a bad habit!
  • User
    10 anni fa
    The nuns said I wouldn't be a nun because I sang in the corridors, and I would never get a husband 'cause I couldn't cut cake. Well I got 2husbands, but the cake still lands upside down on the plate when I serve it.
  • mkmort
    10 anni fa
    dust bunnies - the inexpensive house pet and my way of cleaning which is to put anything out of place in a box to deal with latter. Hubby even says it is funny because he will ask where something is and I'll say when did you see it last. O then it is in this box because that is the box I put it in when I picked up.
  • rredpenn
    10 anni fa
    Chook, putzing around the house, I do that too, and yes it used to drive my kids crazy... now, though, my daughter and I write lyrics together "to the tune of..." something else. Usually the songs feature one of the pets and their quirky personalities. Or, we insert their names into some song to see if they notice. Her pug is named "Bea" so any song with "be" in it... well, it becomes a song directed at the pug. "Let it BEA, let it BEA" or "Do BEA do BEA do". Still drives my son crazy I think.
  • rredpenn
    10 anni fa
    Of course, forgot to mention her all time theme song... "BEAst of burden" !
  • Bill Yockey
    10 anni fa
    Too many trendy items.
  • Jacqueline Pestano
    10 anni fa
    Wish my family would stop eating lunch and dinner in front of TV in living room. The dining room just sits. There waiting for anyone to come to the table
  • Pamela Fisk
    10 anni fa
    I love how this has become a sort of confessional, tell-all session to reveal one's family member's most irritating personal habits. It's one of the most entertaining sets of comments yet!
  • judygilpin
    10 anni fa
    Jacqueline Pestano...... I cured that a long time ago. Get rid of the TV trays , set the dining room or kitchen table and place the food on the table (as our Mom's used to do), and make the family obey the rules of eating at a proper place. After all, you are the boss in this arena if you're the one doing the cooking. We like to watch TV, too; so why not have a TV within viewing distance of the dining area. It (the TV) will probably, in time, be ignored by having a topic of interest to discuss at the dinner table. Take control. Good Luck.
  • Pamela Fisk
    10 anni fa
    That brings up another quirk of my husband's and many others a therapist has told us. There he sits on the sofa in the evening. We eat dinner in front of the TV and he spends much of the night (unless I beg him to actually spend time with me without looking at it...) researching things on his infernal telephone! That drives me NUTS TOO! Our therapist says that is at the root of many marriage problems! I say put away the phone until tomorrow! Then, he'll ask my permission to look up something that interests us both. One night he asked me four time for permission to Google various things. It's ridiculous. He seems to have a compulsion to use his bloody phone! Am I totally crazy??? I don't think so.
  • judygilpin
    10 anni fa
    You know, sometimes technology sucks!!! As in your case with your husband's habits with the TV and phone. Even though I had to take control as far as eating at the kitchen table (not the family room), my husband many times says "let's eat on the terrace tonight." He turns on music and we have a wonderful evening. Phones are not answered. We can always return calls later. That's what caller ID is for. Since we live in Arizona, it's easier to have our dinners on the terrace most of the year, but a romantic dinner every now and then can happen anywhere. And NO, you are not totally crazy.....YET!! GOD LUCK.
  • pcmom1
    10 anni fa
    To all: important to use the dishwasher at least once a week. Otherwise the seals dry out and you will be paying to repair (as we did!).
  • printesa
    10 anni fa
    Thanks for the tip pcmom1. I try to use it..I haven't used it much because I don't like the way it washes,,it's a GE (whatever the builder put in). I need to change it to a Miele, which works well.
  • jen046
    10 anni fa
    Piling items (receipts, door flyers, coupons, etc) on the counter by our refrigerator, then when company comes over, scooping up everything and shoving into a bag and putting the bag into the hall closet. Then I forget to take it out and sort it. Recently I found our passports in one such bag (along with expired coupons)! That's not good!
  • printesa
    10 anni fa
    Passports..that can be tricky:) Which reminds me,,I need to renew the kids' passports..traveling with an expired passport won't work:)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 anni fa
    I just wish my family would buff up the chrome bits in the showers when they've finished showering !!! Drives me bonkers as we have hard water - and yes - I have suggested a water softener - but was told it was a 'ridiculous amount to spend' !!! Uuurrggghhh !!
  • Ed
    10 anni fa
    Hi OnePlan -- great comment! What do you use to buff up the chrome ? With microfiber, and then some diluted solution of white vinegar ? 10% vinegar + 90% water ? 50% vinger + 50% water ? Ammonia + salt ? :)
  • printesa
    10 anni fa
    Ed, I don't have hard water, but I use vinegar with baking soda to scrub everything. Nothing works better than this combination. Rinse and all is clean
  • Jacqueline Pestano
    10 anni fa
    Winded glass and surface cleaner does a wonderful job of cleaning chrome.
  • Jacqueline Pestano
    10 anni fa
    Sorry windex
  • Ed
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    Hi printesa, Jacqueline, thank you -- I'm trying to avoid as much as possible commercial chemical products (like Windex and other surface cleaners). If vinegar and baking soda work without ANY scratches on the chrome surfaces, great! :)
    Printesa, do you use 100% white vinegar, or a diluted solution ?
  • suzanne_m
    10 anni fa
    Spending less time on Houzz so I can do some more cleaning in my house? NO!!! That won't happen!
  • armipeg
    10 anni fa
    Pairing and folding the 50+ pairs of socks right after they come out of the dryer
  • armipeg
    10 anni fa
    @jen046, I know what you're talking about. When I get to that part of cleaning up, For every single paper, flyer, etc. that I throw in the trash I feel a pound lifted off my shoulders.
  • judygilpin
    10 anni fa
    jen046, I had to chuckle when I read your comment about scooping up the paper items. I just did that yesterday. The rest of the house is usually neat, but Oh, that desk in the den seems to always pile up with stuff. Haven't misplaced Passports yet, but that may be next.
  • inkwitch
    10 anni fa
    Keep my computer room organized. Where does all this paper come from?!! There never seems to be enough places to store it all! Since this is also where the TV is (and I live alone, if living with 2 cats and 9 dogs -- I rescue -- can be said to be living alone!), it's controlled chaos. And I have 3 file cabinets! No excuse!
  • PRO
    Budget Fence and Patio
    10 anni fa
    Wow ! what a discussion.I would love to keep my office files away from home .My home keeps getting piled up with design magazines ,files etc. It is so difficult to get rid of them.
  • printesa
    10 anni fa
    Ed, I use 100% white vinegar. Pour some over the baking soda just to make it fizz and I let it stay for a little while and I clean. Try on one and see how it works for you. For me, it never caused any problems. I don't want to use anything chemical so I try to find natural way for cleaning.
  • Ed
    10 anni fa
    Hi printesa, Great, thanks! I feel exactly the same way as you about chemicals. :)
  • Momof5x
    10 anni fa
    There are quite a few things- not one haha

* I would like not to have to clean the window grooves ( where window slides) but the easier way to do it in the end is to have small bowl of water and sponge it clean-no flying dust if allergies!

* I agree with Ed on point of chemicals Vinegar and water for windows wiped with newspaper (really fab) works well.

*Hoovering here and there in corners arghhh!

* Getting to top of curtains to dust them them- I hate dust collecting there ( unreachable places!)
  • reba120
    10 anni fa
    I should, but don't seem to find the time, to regularly clean my baseboards!
  • dooders1981
    10 anni fa
    Agree with first poster! I Would NEVER hire a decorator that lives like a hoarder! Yikes. The retirement homes in your community would really welcome a monthly magazine drop off from you.
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Okdokegal the gerbils are the best idea ever! We use the chook for the same thing with weeds!
  • sheilaskb
    9 anni fa

Stocking up too much on groceries and paper products for the kitchen and bath is the main problem at my house. My husband simply cannot pass up a grocery store, and he is so afraid of running out of something.

• PRO
    Little Bear Nurseries
    5 anni fa

When people talk of tidying up, I never really relate - I hate clutter, so my house always APPEARS pretty clean. But when it comes to ~actually cleaning~ I just wish I didn't hate it and felt motivated to do it more frequently! I really dislike it and always think there are much better ways I could be spending my time.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".