Houzz Logo Print
maywu

New shower glass door hits the toilet

May W.
10 anni fa
At time of measurement I was adamant that the door not hit the toilet and yet it does. Options presented to me were to put a clear bumper on the toilet and/or have the door swing inward as well. Just feel that these are quick fixes. Should I have them cut a new door for me? Any other suggestions that have worked for you? Thanks!

Commenti (37)

• PRO
    Susan Hayward Interiors
    10 anni fa
    Is there anything in the right facing side of the shower? Not sure why they didn't put the door closer to that wall?
  • May W.
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Hi Susan,
    There is a shower bench and tub deck on the right side of the shower. The door is 28" wide so i'm thinking of having them cut the left panel a little bigger and make the shower door to 26". Just not sure if this company is going to do this for me. I signed off on the contract with the measurement BUT I did explicitly say I didn't want the door to hit the toilet. Too bad there is no hinge that would stop the door from opening all the way.
    Thanks for your reply!
  • PRO
    Susan Hayward Interiors
    10 anni fa
    Is there any additional room on the right if they just recut the 2 ends?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 anni fa
    Why don't you look into a pivot style door?
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Who was responsible for the design and who did the measurements? If it was a contractor he needs to fix it on his dime. That is unacceptable.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 anni fa
    Re: off setting toilet, remember banging elbows on that wall and large men would need shoulder room. Yes, I had to hear that valid point before so I said "yes, dear, you're right again!"
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 anni fa
    I fail to understand why the panel on the right is needed at all, which I think is what Susan is asking as well. Why not just a larger left panel and then the door which would be next to the right wall?

The offset flange suggested above would be the cheapest fix - as long as moving the toilet over to the left still leaves the required amount of space for the toilet.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 anni fa
    @Haute Box, great to know these exist though. My design dilemma was replacing vanity next to toilet in small bath. I really was limited in choices bc he had to point out that he has elbows!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 anni fa
    By any chance are these side pieces of glass mounted on the wrong sides? Flipped? Upside over? Are they equal size?
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Good thinking bsellers, maybe it could be an easy fix!?!
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    It looks like the door is centered between the two side panels evenly, They need to just make the door OFF center to the right. Like they always say- measure twice, cut once.
  • Ann
    10 anni fa
    I have the exact same situation in a very tight little toilet/shower room. The old shower door didn't hit it and I can't remember why, but I got a nice new shower door that must be wider. Anyway, I put a bumper on the toilet and I was only troubled by it for about a week. The new shower door is so nice that it was worth the bumper.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 anni fa
    Do you have copy of diminsions you signed off on and do they measure up? See if you can get one in hand by the company suppling to you if need be before you have to launch all out war. Maybe it was not cut the way you agreed? With it being frameless, it's easier to get these inside out, upside down and wrong sides mounted. HOPEFULLY,its just flipping glass around. GOOD LUCK!
  • Ed
    10 anni fa
    Hi May, Sorry to hear about the situation. Ann's suggestion of a tiny bumper is probably the quickest and least expensive solution. Otherwise you'd have to move the toilet over to the left, or change the glass door. I think with the existing door, you'll quickly get into the habit of not opening it all the way until it hits the toilet. Good luck. :)
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 anni fa
    These doors typically swing both in and out. It it swings in then maybe just use it that way. Otherwise, agree with previous posts that fabricating new side panels and re-positioning the door would be a good compromise with the glass supplier since they will have to eat that cost until they can re-use these panels in another install.

I have heard that using the offset toilet flange is not great. I have never installed one in my projects but my plumber hates them and swears they cause more harm than problem solve.
  • PRO
    Susan Hayward Interiors
    10 anni fa
    I agree with TMK about the toilet flange. My plumber hates them as well. Still think moving the side panels as iny original post is the best solution for both you as we'll as the installer. Good luck! Let me know how you make out!
  • hatetoshop
    10 anni fa
    My shower door swings both ways, and I find I usually do swing it into the shower -- especially when exiting as the door would drip water onto the floor.
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 anni fa
    Vote for leaving as is and having door swing inward as well. Did you happen to get the "showerguard" coating on the glass? Works best if you leave the door open for a few minutes after using to dry clear; having it in-swing will make this more bearable.
  • Ed
    10 anni fa
    Hi May, to add to catie's reply, the shower glass squeegee. :)
  • elkeelisabeth
    10 anni fa
    There are also shower doors that run on a track and don't swing open at all. But that would mean altering the glass wall to a larger fixed glass panel and a running door.
  • nancyann0277a
    10 anni fa
    Hi, why didn't you go will sliding door. We just redid our en suite shower and did one eve though it was not an issue. Didn't want water dripping on floor when door swung open.
    May W. ha ringraziato nancyann0277a
  • nancyann0277a
    10 anni fa
    Tried to add this picture.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 anni fa
    The centre placement of the door is the problem. If you required/approved that arrangement, then you may have difficulty getting the contractor to make a change without additional payment. However, a good contractor should have recognized, pointed out and convinced you to off-set the door for proper functioning, so I would aim to get the contractor to see that you are buying both the installation service AND a proper design. if you have other bathrooms, ask him/her, how can I consider you for future bath renos if this is done improperly? Whether you ever do use this firm again should depend on their ability to handle this to your satisfaction and explain how the problem happened in the first place. My humble opinion!
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Garden Oaks, your humble opinion is spot on! :)
  • User
    10 anni fa
    As a general rule, sliding doors are better for all small spaces eg closet doors, but people hate cleaning the tracks. There should not be a right hand fixed panel, and this should have been explained to you at measurement.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    Tempered glass can't be cut or drilled, all of this is done before it is tempered.

I would have hinged the door on the right wall with fixed glass on the left. I also would have moved the shower valve to the right wall while leaving the shower head and arm on the left. Either that change wasn't offered or it was denied due to cost.
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 anni fa
    Saloon shower doors! That's an awesome idea. How about a saloon shower? Will that be beer or whiskey coming out of the body spray? :-/
  • May W.
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Big thanks to this community that have given such helpful tips!!! Several have asked about what's on the right side of the shower and I've attached a pic to share. My contractor has been great and the measurements were taken by the glass company. My contractor spoke to the owner of the glass company and they are replacing the left panel and door at no additional cost to me. Basically the door will need to be 25" for this to work. Hope that won't be too small of a door. I'm relieved that they will recut this but that does delay the finished project time and maybe more threshold work but at this point we are at 7 weeks into this project and what's another 10 days right? Thanks again all!!!
  • cmarquardt1
    10 anni fa
    I agree that the shower door should be moved farther to the right with a larger panel on the left side...worst case scenario would be to add the bumper.
  • halfpint2
    10 anni fa
    You were specific in what you wanted, and didn't get it. Have the company who installed the door come up with a solution that works for you, not them!
  • Ed
    10 anni fa
    Hi May, Congrats! Great news. Yea, compared to (7 weeks + 10 extra days), I had (4 months + 8 extra months)!!! :) Your new bathroom looks nice, enjoy! What's the brand and model of the horizontal wall tiles ?
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 anni fa
    Glad you have a happy ending. Also glad you didn't go the route of the offset flange for the toilet. I've heard bad things about them, as far as more frequent clogging.
  • sigton24
    10 anni fa
    Why not just put a sliding door
  • PRO
    New York Shower Door
    9 anni fa
    Possibly do a hinged door with one panel.....either wall mounted hinge or glass to glass.
    It would depend on budget. A sliding option would also work.
  • Margaret Peters
    5 anni fa

I am experiencing the same thing. The shower door hits the commode . I think I should have a much smaller commode , that would help . I only have the option of a bumper of some kind

• PRO
    New York Shower Door
    5 anni fa

In my opinion a slider would have been a better idea.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".