Houzz Logo Print
rboyd2003

Electrical outlets for basement

rboyd2003
10 anni fa
We are planning a basement remodel and will install engineered hardwood over concrete. The furniture arrangement will be floating -- away from walls. What is the best way to handle providing electrical outlets for table/floor lamps located away from walls? Not sure how floor outlets are handled in basements. Thanks.

Commenti (7)

• yoboseiyo
    10 anni fa
    are you doing the install, or are you having this done?
    it is possible to put in floor outlets, but you probably want a professional to take care of that.

i'd be a little iffy on doing it myself.
  • rboyd2003
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    We have a general contractor for the basement remodel.
  • countbla
    10 anni fa
    Any licenced electrician should know how to install these properly. Because of flooding risks in basements I would insist on putting these floor outlets on a gfci breaker.
  • User
    10 anni fa
    If you want hardwood flooring in your basement, which is a big risk due to concrete moisture anyway, I would not make the risk much greater by putting extra holes in the concrete floor. A GFCI does not really protect anything extra in a flood situation. A standard breaker will trip just fine. AFCI breakers are now required in the U.S. A GFCI detects an unbalanced load usually caused by something like a worn cord drug through a puddle. GFCI protection is usually accomplished at the outlet because it doesn't really provide any necessary protection for the circuit itself if installed properly. Circuit breakers and AFCI breakers are installed at the panel to protect the circuit. A floor outlet circuit breaker will be the first thing to trip if things get flooded. You could argue that even a second floor bedroom would gain some degree of safety with GFCI protected outlets, but a finished basement is no different than the second floor bedroom in this case.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Tighe Electrical LLC
    8 anni fa

I would check the water table, if there is any chance of water coming up thru your floor it would not be worth the risk to install these in the basement concrete as you will have to cut into it install wiring and boxes. If you are safe of ground water your contractor can easily track the concrete for such an install.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".