Houzz Logo Print
lkitty

What to do in this empty space

lkitty
10 anni fa
This is a large space adjacent to family room area and dining area. I had the dining table there at one point, but put it back to the space designed as dining room. In some of these models, there is a wall dividing the two spaces, we obviously don't have that wall. Any suggestions?

Commenti (67)

• Laurie Tillett
    10 anni fa
    Since we live in a condo I'm always looking for ways to maximize storage. On that big blank wall, I'd do one of two things...either a large floor-to-ceiling built-in wall unit ( with shelves and closed storage)...or a large console/buffet type piece, then a large mirror or painting over that.
    lkitty ha ringraziato Laurie Tillett
  • unwantedadvice
    10 anni fa
    ikitty, the only thing I worry about is if you move the sectional to where dog is, what will go in its place? BTW, your dog looked nice. Sorry he is no longer with you.

Also, forgot about end table. Gosh, I am super confused right now as to what you should do. Your art needs to be out and seen as well.

Perhaps you should get the recliner first and maybe rotate the sectional and see how that works before you move it into other area. Good luck. :))
    lkitty ha ringraziato unwantedadvice
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Does anyone have any ideas for area rug, keeping the large colorful painting in mind as that will likely be hung somewhere. Don't know where yet.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    Have you consider using the furniture of the new conversation area to bring some color to the room, or maybe even use color on one of the walls as an accent? We put some pictures below that show some of them... We are also showing some different configurations with different levels of organization of the space...

The four club chairs create a more formal conversation area. The one with the lounge chair provides a softer transition between the two seating areas that would be created. It provides for a more casual atmosphere. The use of the sofa on the other option creates a homier feel.

We are not sure how you use your space, but based on your 8 seat dining room it seems entertaining is a goal. Think of how you will want your guests to relate before creating the seating areas. Hope this helps! You have a great room and great pieces. We are sure it will turn out great!
    [houzz=
    Classic Transitional · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
    [houzz=
    Nob Hill Pied-a-Terre · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
    [houzz=
    Suburban Bliss · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
    lkitty ha ringraziato Total Solutions Group
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    I would create another seating area with a place to take a nap in the sun. It looks like your dog is waiting for the sun to move around a bit more then he will lay back for a snooze.
    lkitty ha ringraziato sunnydrew
  • leelee
    10 anni fa
    I was just going to say another seating arrangement with two chairs and a table between. You would need a large painting to go there with the chairs. Maybe a smaller rug to anchor the space.
    lkitty ha ringraziato leelee
  • leelee
    10 anni fa
    I think that rug may be too much with the chairs!
  • leelee
    10 anni fa
    A table between the chairs slightly angled in.
  • PRO
    Sudbury Home Improvement
    10 anni fa
    I feel like the living room is so empty and the kitchen is so overused for certain things. If it were me, I would put a couple of cabinets with a coffee maker there. It is so much easier to get to it without having to go into the kitchen. That is an idea I have because I am from a different part of the world where we do that in the living rooms. A little area for refreshments. With a nice picture, of course. :)
    lkitty ha ringraziato Sudbury Home Improvement
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Why don't you put TV on big wall use the whole room. Why is everything on one end? Area rug by sofa. Then a cow hide In front of TV. Would be fun and modern Ikea sells. A bigger taller longer media in dark wood. Would fill that wall. adding potted palms in corners helps and add texture.
    lkitty ha ringraziato Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Cyndi S.
    10 anni fa
    the dining table could go back where you had it and you could use the area for the dining room table is now for a small tasteful looking computer room but what bothers me the most is why is every piece of furniture you all on crammed in one space it looks like you can't even move around in there so by moving some of the furniture around and adding a few things towards the other side of the empty room would make it look beautiful there's so much sunshine over in that area that if you don't want to move your dining room table you could get a few chairs and hey nice and table or coffee table to put books and magazines on and have a place to read and relax in the Sun Shine I was still move around some of the furniture you have so crammed in that one area I'm not being insulting just trying to give you an idea I hope I have helped
    lkitty ha ringraziato Cyndi S.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Or use media you have will work too. In dining area your mirror too small. Get a taller 6 ft in dark wood or silver Ikea sells a nice one. Need vertical on that wall. Bar stools not style of room. Get more modern contemporary, black with chrome. Or go a color in leather like red. Add color pillows in black and white chevron print.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Area rug by sofa good add colorful pots in red to end table mix with black.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    In hall add 2 zebra square ottomans under it. red tall pots to one end.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Add a big art piece over hall table or the mirror from dining area to finish look.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    A big 40x40 colorful contemporary art on wall by table hang very low. Z Galleries has nice ones. Any color just bold.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Add zebra throw to sofa. Let hang over back.
  • anne dee
    10 anni fa
    Maybe this reference link can be an inspiration
    c a t l i n s t o t h e r s · Maggiori informazioni
    lkitty ha ringraziato anne dee
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Any thoughts about moving dining table to the side of the room where the couch and tv unit are now?
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    I've made some furniture mistakes already, but need to make the best of it. Maybe in time I can replace the bar stools. One of the problems (not sure it is a problem), is that I purchased the kitchen set using the same metal and fabric as on the stools.

The room does look unbalanced only because right now everything is at one end. I plan to take away one of the end tables, the white ottomans can go somewhere else. I can flip the sectional 90 degrees and pull it out to make that side of the room longer, that would section off the two spaces as the back of the couch would act as a divider. Not sure how that would look.

All of your comments and photos are opening me up to new and different ideas.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 anni fa
    lkitty, those pics above are so nice. Really gives one a better perspective of the room and size. I agree, move the furniture about and see how you like a different arrangement.

Honestly though, seeing the space from the new pics,you can easily add another seating area in blank spot. I guess I kind of like the sectional where it is now because everyone who sits at bar or eat-in can see tv if necessary.

Don't worry about the bar stools, they go with other table and chairs. Gives some cohesion to space at that end. You really have a nice floor plan. Lots of space. :)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Now that I see room. Move the sofa and float 3-4 ft area where dog is. big art on that wall behind. With rug and coffee table.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Leave TV where it is a dd 2 big modern chairs that are really recliners. Lazy boy carries, plus Room & Board in Calif.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    There isn't Ot much room between bar stools and sofa.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 anni fa
    Hi, you have a very lovely space. A little bit of color...and it will feel warmer and more personal.

Because you have such a neutral palette...you can really bring in whatever colors you want.
    I would definitely recommend a few oversized pieces of art...because you have big, blank walls. A well placed mirror will be good to add too, just make sure it reflects something interesting in it.

Feel free to check out my work for some inspiration. If you see something in particular you like, I can help you work out sizes, type of print, etc. angelinavick@ymail.com

http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/index.html
    lkitty ha ringraziato Angelina Vick
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    If I were to transfer the couch to the empty side of the room, kept the TV and unit where it is, got a couple recliners or lounge chairs (pretty cool idea), how would I arrange them? Angled, keep coffee table? use the two ottomans I already have, etc...???
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    fabric or leather?
  • PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    10 anni fa
    My first thought was a home office space incorporating bookshelves, desk, chair.
    Or a secondary sitting area with an upholstered back bench against the far wall and 2 chairs across from it. Great for predinner drinks or a reading nook. Looks like a great space!
    lkitty ha ringraziato Lumar Interiors
  • unwantedadvice
    10 anni fa
    I am up early today so will see if brain is functioning yet. If you move sectional, do you still want to view tv from there? Yes, keep coffee table with couch. It is so cool looking.

New chairs would be in front of tv and I would angle them towards each other a bit with one of your end tables between. The other end table could be against wall by sectional. The two ottomans under window?

I am the type of person who has to physically move furniture about to see which arrangement would look the best. Should be fun though, wish I could help! Post pics.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 anni fa
    As far as fabric or leather, that is up to you. You already know how leather feels. Perhaps one solid leather recliner and one in nice fabric print to bring in some color and texture.
  • Brittany Bennett
    10 anni fa
    You could hang a big painting. There's an iPad app called ARTtwo50 that helps you choose original art that actually fits the color of your walls. All you do is take a picture of your wall and then the app allows you to scroll through countless paintings so see which one would look best. It's pretty fun to play with. Hope this helps!
    lkitty ha ringraziato Brittany Bennett
  • Ahmad Reyaz
    10 anni fa
    i want to see the best designe for windows,like full and arch
    lkitty ha ringraziato Ahmad Reyaz
  • Sam Dewick
    10 anni fa
    I agree with indianpatti, it will work grat as a conversation area. Imagine having tea under that natural light, just wonderful :)
    lkitty ha ringraziato Sam Dewick
  • PRO
    Gina Perillo
    10 anni fa
    If you are considering hanging original art take a look at my Etsy Shop - I offer abstract original paintings- I am also always happy to create custom pieces to fit your space. Which by the way, you have a BEAUTIFUL space to work with ~ Feel free to contact me with any questions. Cheers !

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GPerillo?ref=si_shop
    lkitty ha ringraziato Gina Perillo
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Question - what size should ceiling fan be in an 11 x 12 room?
  • unwantedadvice
    10 anni fa
    Hi ikitty! If you google, what size ceiling fan should I buy, a bunch of guides will come up. You have to measure the room and ceiling height, etc. I can't post other sites as I am tech challenged! Hope you can figure it out. One of the sites could have a guide with different room sizes listed. Good luck. Post pics when you can. :))
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 anni fa
    lkitty, I'd probably choose a 36" - 42" fan for a room that size. I wouldn't go bigger than 42", though. Hope that helps!
    lkitty ha ringraziato Total Solutions Group
  • PRO
    360 Design
    10 anni fa
    kitty if you like I can send you a few photos of what your walls could look like using my new design product. Take a look at what I can offer you, keep in mind that we can cut these panels to fit any room or go around any corner. Thank you
    lkitty ha ringraziato 360 Design
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    For a small room choose a small fan.
  • PRO
    CertaPro Painters of North San Diego
    10 anni fa
    Wow, a ton of great ideas on this discussion. My 2 cents would be use color on several of the walls to accent many of the great ideas that you have received.
    lkitty ha ringraziato CertaPro Painters of North San Diego
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 anni fa
    How is is going Ikitty? =)
    lkitty ha ringraziato Angelina Vick
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    A few more photos of what I'm in the middle of doing... And is the scale of the dark brown chair too large?
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 anni fa
    Looks great so far! I think having a second seating area away from the TV may be your best bet. I'd move the dining area to the empty space, and put the seating area where the dining room is now. That way, the two seating areas are somewhat separated from each other.

If you're looking for artwork for you large walls, check out my work. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose - some of them very large.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Enjoy decorating!
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    I have a new rug in the living room area. And what does anyone think of the larger scale dark brown chair (comfortable place for my husband to sit - but not my favorite,,,) does it work at all? Or is it too large a chair? Also, what about the rug? And what would you do for lighting since the furniture floats, and end table is in precarious place (a lamp could easily be knocked over??)
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Dining area - with this dining room set, the light fixture is off center, seems wrong in every way, so I want to install recessed lighting, but not sure where to put them and how many...
  • Joanne Maurer
    10 anni fa
    I wish I could come there and really see the space. Personally i think i would flip your rooms...put the dining table near the kitchen ....move your TV to that wall and have a seating area down there. You could get a rug for the dining room or use the living room rug

Get some one to remove that light fixture for now. You can make that area where the dining room an area with a desk a chair or something like that.
    lkitty ha ringraziato Joanne Maurer
  • lkitty
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Tried that but the kitchen/living room is kind of a great room - and if the one long room is used for seating, it is contiguous, Tried both/all configurations
  • Joanne Maurer
    10 anni fa
    It is hard to help when i can't see it. I would try and call a local professional stager. They don't charge much and can be very helpful. I see from you other pictures that you have another eating area so that would probably look crazy with the dining room there....this is a tough one. Nice house
    lkitty ha ringraziato Joanne Maurer
  • felixdiaz3
    5 anni fa

A second seating area adds elegance and function to a living room.

• njmomma
    5 anni fa

Not a Pro.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I would put an electric or gas fireplace and two chairs with ottomans in that empty space.

Napoleon Fireplaces LHD45 · Maggiori informazioni

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".