Houzz Logo Print
clairemclarke

Ugly drop ceilings

clairemclarke
10 anni fa
We may buy a house with these in the basement similar to the picture here how can we change them? beadboard? there's too much going behind the tiles to actually raise the ceiling.

Commenti (11)

• Laura Fore Myers
    10 anni fa
    Bead board or tongue and groove would be awesome.
  • PRO
    Molidor Custom Builders, Inc.
    10 anni fa
    We recently built a new home for a client. She is an artist and we set up a small studio in her basement. She did not want any type of drop ceiling or drywall ceiling. So we just painted her ceiling and it looks great--plus, it adds more space.
  • Brenda
    10 anni fa
    drywall would look the best, but sometimes it is not a good idea to block access to all the pipes and wiring that are in that ceiling.

there are some more modern drop ceilings that look substantially better then the one in the above photo. I actually saw one recently that sort of looked like a "cove" ceiling. maybe take a trip to Home Depot and see what's available.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    You can paint it out, so to speak - very nice for media room. Or you can install a really "wowy" new one!

Cary Project AFTER basement family rm · Maggiori informazioni
  • clairemclarke
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    we need to redo it not just paint it...although that looks a ton better than I thought it would!
  • PRO
    Deborah Vieira Design
    10 anni fa
    I guess it depends on how much you need to access up there... If you have cool rafters/pipes/etc, pulling out the covers, giving it a unifying color with cabling concealing wiring, exposing it all could look very industrial-chic, save a lot of money, and raise the ceiling. You didn't mention the height of the current ceiling... if it's high enough and you don't need direct access, then I'd alternately suggest ripping out the drop ceiling, drywalling, and adding interesting beams or a paneling design to better balance the proportions of the room. Ping me if you're interested in a quick sketch.
  • PRO
    Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
    10 anni fa
    Why do you need access? Covering pipes and wiring is not an issue as mentioned above. It's no different that drywalling or covering up the wires and piping in the rest of your house. If the home is built properly and to code, there is no need to have access to anything. Drop ceilings are not the most attractive look. I would spend the money to drywall and paint the ceiling. Bead board would be a step up from drop too. I suggest you remove it regardless. It dates the house, and never looks that great.
  • Randy Powell
    10 anni fa
    I saw some pretty cool, funky and decorative ceiling tiles in Las Vegas. reflecive, patterns with the grids in various colors....my problem would be to find a supplier of these ceiling tiles...can anyone shed any light on this?
  • cremmey18
    9 anni fa
    Albmars, do you have a picture of your basement? It seems like I am going for the exact same look.
  • Jean Bockhorn
    8 anni fa

my house is 70 years old just a plain one story on piers narrow in front but long. no hallway you have to walk through the rooms. but here's the kicker 1st room is livingroom and first bedroom are 9'4 the bathroom and 2nd bedroom are dropped 7'1 and the next room kitchen is 7'4 the ceilings 12x12 tiles are masonite just curious why they would do that and if originally the ceilings thru the house 9'4 .

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".