Houzz Logo Print
saraworthington_4

New build, kids J&J. Too safe and boring? How to warm up add interest?

Sara Worthington
20 giorni fa

Commenti (24)

• la_la Girl
    20 giorni fa

I would start with a fun washable rug and add some stacked art

• calidesign
    20 giorni fa

You just need some colorful towels and fun art for the wall across from the mirror.

• k8cd
    20 giorni fa

I like the ideas above. You could also change out the cabinet handles for something more colorful or fun. My son’s bathroom has orange lego handles. (When they get older, put back the black ones.) If you could find something that would coordinate, you could do different handles on each side that reflect their interests or favorite color.

• kandrewspa
    20 giorni fa

It's a nice, neutral base that will work with different accessories and colors as they grow. You could change the paint color. Sea Salt is a very popular SW color in baths (it's a blue-green), but the towels and art might be enough to perk it up. What are your childrens' favorite colors? Which colors are going to used in their rooms?

Sara Worthington ha ringraziato kandrewspa
  • millworkman
    20 giorni fa

You can add interest and make it less boring by using passage locks so no one can lock the doors. Keep everyone on their toes....................

• Boxerpal
    20 giorni fa

I think paper can be so much fun in a kids bathroom.

Hudson, OH Master Bathroom · Maggiori informazioni

Cambridge Port · Maggiori informazioni

Out of the Blue · Maggiori informazioni

Niskayuna Fun Guest Math · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    20 giorni fa

I'd bring in texture with a natural jute or sisal runner and maybe some storage baskets.

The Tate Post and Beam Barn Home · Maggiori informazioni

• beesneeds
    20 giorni fa

Who are the kids? Doing a bathroom for a couple little ones to grow into is different than a couple teens. Or if they are old enough to express their own decor intrests or wants/needs. If it's a new build for the sake of sale, I'd try to paint it in a neutral color or gender neutral colorful and just stage it with two sets of accessories to further the J&J effect.

• Sara Worthington
    Autore originale
    20 giorni fa

@Mark Bischak, Architect - it’s our actual bathroom

Thank you, these are all great tips! The J&J is for daughters 8 yo and 11 yo. Grays and white are falling out of favor in terms of trends but i had trouble coming up with neutral pallette for them given budget and time constraints

• Yvonne Martin
    20 giorni fa

Get them each towels in their favorite color (or set out several for them to choose from). They will each cherish their personal towels and the colors will liven the room.

• Boxerpal
    19 giorni fa

something super fun for your daughters..

Penn Valley · Maggiori informazioni

or soothing for the end of the day bath time.

Traditional Master bath, Three Season Room and Bathroom-Downers Grove · Maggiori informazioni

• Jennifer Hogan
    19 giorni fa

What are you doing with the bedrooms? Are they each choosing their own bedding/wall colors?

It would be great if the center bathroom could reflect those colors with towels and accessories. I am guessing there is a tub or shower on the other side of the room. Can you use a colorful shower curtain?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    19 giorni fa

The girls are at an age where they can tell you waht they would like in there so get some feed back from them . I will warn you this J&J is not a great idea as they age but now they both need to have input . I like decals they can be changed easily colored towels even some nice accessories on the counter they use and can choose the colors They each have a vanity space and IMO this is private space so let them go for it .

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    19 giorni fa

I am not a fan of jack & jill bathroom. Kid's rooms many times turn into adult guest rooms, and hearing another adult use a bathroom through a door next to the bed is no where near ideal.

Use sound absorbing materials, and consider sound and light blocking devices at the doors.

• beesneeds
    19 giorni fa

At eight and eleven, they are old enough to have their own input. I would leave the bathroom as-is. Let them pick out accessories within reason. A long runner rug and shower curtian together. But their own towels, toothbrush holders and toothbrushes, ect on the counter. Again, within reason. Though they are old enough for input, thankfully they are young enough to still be parent guided.

Once they hit that teen stage, offer up the bigger decor upgrade then. Wall freshening, if they want different/more lighting, new countertop storage for their stuff. You will know when it's time by the amount and kind of clutter. Especially when they start needing things with cords.

• jo mu
    19 giorni fa

I would change out those faucets if it in the budget. Something about that silver with the black hardware and grey everything is meh. You can add a runner and warmer bath accessories maybe in wood tones

• eld6161
    19 giorni fa

It's a lovely bathroom. It reads calm to me. I would keep it neutral. Add color in the bedrooms.

Sometimes it is nice for the eyes to have a place to rest and not be constantly stimulated with color ir wall paper.

• Jennifer Hogan
    19 giorni fa

It is a lovely bathroom and in my experience Jack and Jill Bathrooms work out fine.

My sister's two girls shared a bathroom when they were young and when my sister built a home she built a 1 1/2 story home. The 2nd story had two large bedrooms and a jack and jill bathroom that her girls shared as teenagers and through their college years. Now it is shared by the daughters and their families (one has 2 kids and one doesn't have any kids) when they come home for holidays. One of my other nephews and his wife and 2 kids often stay at her home when they come to visit their parents, who moved to a small apartment when they got older. She also has non-family guests come and stay. It has never been an issue.

• chispa
    19 giorni fa

Bathrooms don't need to be dangerous and exciting!

The bathroom looks nice and neutral. Use color in bathmats and towels.

A Missoni pattern would be fun.

https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/home/towels/Brand/Missoni?id=1005695

• Sigrid
    19 giorni fa

I'd get a shower curtain and bath mat in the kids' favorite colors, a towel for each in their favorite color. If it's the same, get slightly different towels. It's never nice when your sibling uses your towel or leaves the towels damp.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    19 giorni fa

"Dangerous", thst was my first thought too. I thought the OP wanted a greater degree of treachery when her kids use the bathroom when she wanted something that was not "too safe". As if there were to be glass shards in the grout or wet floors with ungrounded electrical outlets or heavy doors that smashing tiny fingers. I hope she is referring to interior design pushing the envelope.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    16 giorni fa

My 16 and 12 year old share a bath. We have a fun shower curtain, prints framed, bright towels. The rest is simple. It’s very easy to change the towels etc. don’t overthink this.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 giorni fa
    Ultima modifica: 16 giorni fa

By the time they are out of the house you will have changed decor three times. Let them pick a shower curtain ( I assume it's a tub bath,) and pick towel and rug color and a bit of "art" from the shower curtain.

Your bigger worry is decor "destroyed" with kid/teen bath and beauty junk on the counter, spots on the mirror, and damp towels on the floor. I'd hardly wring a hand on the decor. because it can get fairly hopeless in a hurry. I do know from one client whose girls are now grown and just married, that the KINDEST thing you can do for them or you, is teach them to clean it themselves every single week : ) along with their own bedrooms.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".