Houzz Logo Print
valerie953

Suggestions Welcome

Valerie Crow
2 mesi fa

Hi there! To make a long story short, we are relocating for my husband's employment and are under contract on a home that I'm trying to make some decisions on upcoming changes.

Pictured is the kitchen. I am planning to go with a luxury vinyl plank flooring so that the tile does not have to be busted up. I originally intended to replace the cabinets, but the cabinet company told me he would not suggest replacing them at this point - said they're expensive cabinets in great condition. So.....cabinets are staying.

He will be removing the current countertop / capping it off at the arched opening rather than having a slight bar (that is not currently being used as a bar). "Bulking up" the island and relocating it a few inches so that there's overhang for barstools on the side with the sink.

Will change out the hardware on the cabinets.

Now, for the decisions......

I'm considering Cambria Colton or Iverness Frost for the countertops.

Should I remove the over the stove microwave and add a wooden range hood?

What flooring should I select so that it looks good up next to the current living area and dining area? As well as looking good with the current cabinet color (and would still look good with white if I do decide to paint or replace)?

Wall color suggestions?

Should I paint the island?

Sorry for so many questions. We have to make decisions on Monday so that supplies can be ordered / work can begin as soon as we close on the property.

the photos I took myself are more accurate color depictions - the Zillow photo is lighter than actual.

Commenti (17)

• Katie B.
    2 mesi fa

The biggest offenders are the counter/backsplash and microwave. The existing paint reads olive to me and the floors copper- they work. I would do a solid surface white counter and leave everything else until you’ve lived there awhile.

Or

https://www.heirloomdesigncompany.com/portfolio-1/stjude-dream-home

Here is a beautiful remodel that is sure to inspire

Valerie Crow ha ringraziato Katie B.
  • Katie B.
    2 mesi fa

This is a totally cute “Tuscan” kitchen like you have, shown with solid white counters. The aged brass faucet and hardware and even that window curtain are classic/charming.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 mesi fa

I would leave the taller countertop where the sink is. I had that setup in a previous home and it prevented the sink splashes from going on my floor. My overhang was minimal, probably 8” and never used as a bar/sitting area. I just ignored it, no stools and no one really noticed. I’m sure you can get rid of the overhang with the new Quartz.

Valerie Crow ha ringraziato Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • herbflavor
    2 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 mesi fa

would love to see a new induction range and beautiful hood in this kitchen. Id be more inclined to wait on your aesthetic things.....Id consider putting the fridge over where the ovens are. for these kinds of reasons I wouldnt be in such a hurry. If you could get the walls all painted a cleaner looking whitish color I would get that done......I dont find the mustard?? color all that good. the floor would get small runners so I dont mind the tile. as to the counters...if a swap or inserting new applainces were to happen would it be so tough to wait a bit of time and do the counters then ?

a more " anchored " look and funtion at the cooking area would be a nice upgrade for the kitchen.. the first pic is at the top end of expense...you dont have to do that but anyway.....

Deer Park Common Sense Kitchen Remodel · Maggiori informazioni

Craftsman Inspired Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Valerie Crow ha ringraziato herbflavor
  • Katie B.
    2 mesi fa

Traditional Cherry Kitchen with Glaze https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-cherry-kitchen-with-glaze-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~153834973

This came up on my Pinterest today!

Valerie Crow ha ringraziato Katie B.
  • Valerie Crow
    Autore originale
    2 mesi fa

Thank you all! So much to consider that my mind is spinning! My husband's theory "do whatever you want and be done"....... problem is that I don't know what I want and also don't want to sink a TON more $ into the place.

• arcy_gw
    2 mesi fa

I will second what Connecticut Yankeeeee said about the sink area. It also keeps the sight line from kitchen/sink mess out of your living space. At somepoint here someone is going to tell you to hold up spending money until you have lived in the space. If the basic layout doesn't work for you and you decide to go for a total gut/redo spending even a thousand right now is money you won't have for that project. I see nothing soo egregious you can't live with. You appear to be chasing the latest fads in kitchen ideas...function is sooo much more important. Find out how this kitchen functions for you!!!

• cpartist
    2 mesi fa

I would not do anything until you've lived in the house for six months. You may move in and decide that the kitchen is poorly laid out and want to ditch the whole thing. Or you may move in, decide it's fine and then decide on a color scheme etc that is completely different from what you think you want now because of how the light is in the house, etc.

Personally, I'd probably want to redo the whole kitchen based on the island in the middle being a barrier and it looking like there's not enough room for the aisles but you won't know that until living there.

• AnnKH
    2 mesi fa

I agree with those who suggest waiting. The kitchen looks fine (even if it isn't to your style). Save all your pennies for a more thorough project in the future. Personally, I would find working in this kitchen exhausting, with the distance from the fridge to sink to cooktop, and no dish storage near the dishwasher.

• Cathy Power
    il mese scorso

I had my cabinets profesionally painted. The doors were taken off and sprayed at their shop. The cabinets themselves were in great shape but they made my kitchen really dark, I had them sprayed white and am really happy with the results. There are so many colour options available.

• arcy_gw
    il mese scorso

How much did that cost Cathy? Professionally painted cabinetry can be lovely. It's the DIY that doesn't hold up and is not suggested. The bottom line is cost here. The OP COULD paint--or could save that step, save the money, actually try the space on for FUNCTION then decide what investment to make. Depending on where she is the cost of 'just painting' could be half of what a redo could be had for.

• M
    il mese scorso

I agree with Jan. Live in the home for a while before making any decisions. There is no rush. Allow yourself time to live in the space and create a running list of the good and the bad. These lists change over time as well.

• chispa
    il mese scorso

You have no clue what you want to do, but want to start ordering materials in a few days?

I would reconsider the LVP flooring in the kitchen, specially since you have hardwood floors in the other rooms that open to the kitchen. Removing tile isn't that hard. Sure it is a bit messy for a couple of days, but worth it when the end result is much better. Adding a layer on top of tile could cause other issues, like trapping older appliances. Ideally you would add new wood flooring to the kitchen that can be blended/refinished to match the wood flooring in the rest of the house.

• PRO
    Notting Hill Decorative Hardware
    il mese scorso

Great advice to live their a while first! I am sure it will take some pressure off of you. Relocating can be stressful. Good luck with your move!

p.s. What a great kitchen space!

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    il mese scorso

It sounds like you're in the midst of an exciting yet busy time with the relocation and home renovation! I do agree with what everyone else has said above, live in your new home for a while so that you can figure out what you do and do not like about it. The kitchen is a prominent space in a home and I would advise against doing anything immediately until you have lived in the space. However if you are wanting to move forward with renovations right away here are some suggestions that aim to enhance the aesthetics of your kitchen while keeping practicality in mind:

1. Countertops: Both Cambria Colton and Iverness Frost are beautiful choices that offer durability and easy maintenance, which is perfect for a kitchen. Considering the cabinet color and potential future changes (like painting them white), Iverness Frost might offer a bit more flexibility. It has a light, neutral look that complements various cabinet colors and styles, potentially making it a more versatile option for both the current color and any future updates.
    2. Over the Stove Microwave vs. Wooden Range Hood: Removing the microwave and adding a wooden range hood can significantly change the kitchen's aesthetic, giving it a more custom and upscale look. This modification could also improve ventilation. If you're leaning towards a timeless and elegant kitchen design, a wooden range hood is a fantastic choice. It can be painted or stained to match the cabinets or serve as a contrasting statement piece.
    3. Wall Color: Given the changes you're considering, a neutral wall color would likely suit the kitchen best. Shades like soft greige, warm white, or a very light taupe can offer flexibility, making the space feel brighter and more open while also complementing both the current and possible future cabinet colors. These shades work well in various lighting conditions and can help highlight the new countertops and backsplash.

Congratulations on your new home and enjoy the new adventure that is laying before you.

• Amanda Smith
    22 giorni fa

That wall color is what is really dating the kitchen. I would consider just painting it all a fresh shade of white. You might be surprised at how updated it looks and maybe you can hold off on some of the other changes.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".