Houzz Logo Print
sarahjoy_chaples

Inherited kitchen renovation layout help

SJ Chaples
2 mesi fa

We moved into our current home about a year and a half ago. I Inherited my mom's kitchen - current layout is designed to keep people out/1 person kitchen. She didn't want people in her space!

I would like to change it to a more open, shared space for informal hosting. We are a family of 3 with a tween and we all cook to some extent. I have an illness that leaves me tired so being able to sit while prepping is one of the critical aspects.

Would like to have:

* Island with seating

* Induction range

* Counter depth, french door fridge

* Base cabinets with drawers - I do not like rollouts. I don't want to have to open a door and then pull out a shelf.

* Trash pullout on the island - probably closest to the sink.

* A fulll range hood, currently the MW is over the stove, but not sure where the MW would go?? We do use it a lot, though I think with an induction cooktop, we would use it less.

Ideas:

* Merging kitchen and nook (nook is currently used for hobbies not eating - this area can move to the basement)

* Removing part of the wall that separates kitchen from garage entry

* Moving sink/dw to exterior wall - I would rather there than the island unless there is a good reason to put them on the island.

* Moving fridge and range

* Change sliding glass door to single swing glass door and add pass through windows to deck (we hope to eventually build a bigger deck). There is a view through these windows. DH would prefer french doors to deck or keep the door we have.

* Add cupboards to the ceiling (currently 30")

* New countertops - preferably granite but open to ideas. (currently corian)

We have an open basement with exposed joists, 8' ceilings, and no second floor

Would prefer not to move load bearing walls (yellow in the second pic) but can if a great idea is presented.

The top left of the kitchen, where the wall is next to the brown square and couch houses a chase for electrical and HVAC. Moving that corner specifically would be difficult. The thin line crossing the hall from the hall bath to kitchen going into the dining room is just a "space dividers". There isn't a wall or door. Same for the thin line between the nook and the living room. Both are open.

We are just getting preliminary ideas at this point as we are still probably about another year out before we dig out the crowbars/hammers/power tools! We will likely look to talk to a KD within the next month or two.

To generate ideas and play around with spacing, I am using free software, so it has its limitations but is helpful in getting my brain wrapped around what might work.

Our current layout:

First round of ideas:

Island is 44" wide (regular base cabinets with 18" overhang for seating, the 18" wraps all the way around for seating on the end) x 9.5'. Is there a better use of the length of the space? I have the Fridge measured at 33" deep for a counter depth fridge, so that measurement may change after we purchase it.

(that's a cat in the picture by the door to the deck :) )

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate your insight.

Commenti (7)

• PRO
    Spaces Renewed
    2 mesi fa

I love the layout you came up with, its very insightful! 100% merge the kitchen and nook. Thats my go too space add without going through an addition.

For the micro, your island has enough space to use the drawer micro option. 24 in. 1.2 Cu. Ft. Built-In Microwave Drawer With Concealed Controls In Black Stainless Steel Finish With Sensor Cooking - Search Shopping (bing.com) There will still be plenty of room for a large trash can.

For the cook top, I would personally consider centering it between the fridge and the sink wall in order to get a symmetrical upper cabinet layout flaking the hood. I know you were going for centering it on the island, but I prefer eye level symmetry, which is more so the uppers and hood area. Modern Kitchen Addition - Modern - Kitchen - San Diego - by Spaces Renewed | Houzz

Although I would have liked the sink and range to line up, it was more important for me to have the hood centered.

Same here: Rancho Del Oro Addition and Remodel - Transitional - Kitchen - San Diego - by Spaces Renewed | Houzz

Island ideally would be centered on range, but not at the expense of my hood line!

I never put my sink in the island unless I have to, so I prefer where you specify the sink and DW.

I like the single swing door to the deck instead of a larger door system because that wall of cabinets with the sink and DW is so necessary. the bigger the door, the less counter space!

Amazing Job!

• SJ Chaples
    Autore originale
    2 mesi fa

Thank you so much for the feedback! That is really helpful to consider moving the range to evenly space out the uppers. Makes perfect sense.

• Cynthia
    2 mesi fa

I like how the layout has a pet (can't tell if cat or dog LOL)!

• SJ Chaples
    Autore originale
    2 mesi fa

Had to make it realistic - my cat is always under foot 😂

• Jenny
    2 mesi fa

Do you use your dining room? What do you think of the idea of swapping the living room and dining room? You get a much bigger living room (which currently looks cramped) and dining adjacent to the kitchen. You could put the French doors in the dining room, put a big window over the sink and eliminate the door next to the sink. Then you can put the refrigerator there, which is much better workflow in the kitchen.

Please take a minute to read this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first

I'm torn about the pantry. It's close to the garage door, but far from your workspace. I might make the current pantry the Costco pantry and have an area in the kitchen for the present week's groceries.

SJ Chaples ha ringraziato Jenny
  • SJ Chaples
    Autore originale
    2 mesi fa

Thanks for the additional thoughts. My husband and guests often use the dining room table for board gaming. Since they are primarily focused on what is going on at the table, The current kitchen/living room side of the house has really beautiful views that I'd like to maximize. I'd like the kitchen to be more of a "non gaming" hanging out space. We may at some point take out the office which is the unlabeled room next to the living room to expand that space, because you are right, it is cramped. The load bearing walls go the opposite direction as the overall house is made up of two perpendicular modular boxes.

Would it make more sense to tighten up one side of the island over the other? I wasn't sure if we should put the island right in the middle or offset it? As we don't have this set up at all now, I am not sure how the space will be used and what the foot traffic will look like.

I so appreciate all your thoughts on this!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".