Houzz Logo Print
webuser_1843538

Placement and design for fireplace insert

Rachel Woods
3 mesi fa

My husband and I have been long bothered by how sterile our house is. It has all the personality a mass-produced economy-build can have. Anyway, we like the idea of adding an electric fireplace insert in our living room, with a mantel and potentially built-in shelves on this wall. The problem being, we either have to center the TV (and fireplace) on the wall and have it in an awkward place for the room, or we center it to the way the room is set up and have it off center in the wall. Any suggestions?

Commenti (8)

• Rachel Woods
    Autore originale
    3 mesi fa

10' ceilings and an almost 19' wall make our small TV seem very tiny, it is true. It's about low enough to be attacked by my 4yo, which is part of why it is currently mounted so high, but sitting on the couch it doesn't seem an unnatural height.

• jck910
    3 mesi fa

Are you sure you want a FP with small children? Maybe look at IKEA BESTA system. It can fill the wall and give you some storage.

• Rachel Woods
    Autore originale
    3 mesi fa

That's part of why we were considering an electric insert. It can heat, or it can just be there for the aesthetic and not be hot at all.

• coray
    3 mesi fa

Sounds like a good idea…..I’d vote for centering the whole thing. As previously suggested the telly is too small and too high. People have posted some nice examples….good luck! (PS: we wall-mounted our TV a couple of years ago, above a lower cabinet, and hubby used a “chute” to run cords etc from the TV to the plug below.)

• apple_pie_order
    3 mesi fa

I'd wait a couple years before adding a fireplace that a kid can plug in and turn on.

Your house looks family-friendly. To add personality and warmth, here are some ideas:

Paint the walls with an interesting color. Use colors in the artwork as guides.

Add curtains to the window.

Frame the artwork over the small table.

Bolt the bookcase to the wall if it is not already secured. Adding another matching bookcase would provide toy storage space that will be versatile as he grows older.

• apple_pie_order
    3 mesi fa

Here are some photo ideas with light color sofas.

Contemporary Family Room · Maggiori informazioni

Farmhouse Family Room · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Joe McGuire Design
    il mese scorso

Why can't you just put the TV on an articulating arm and then you'd be able to move the TV and adjust it to how you want it. There are a few designs, included here, with electric fireplaces as well. We hope it helps you with your dilemma.

Aspen West End · Maggiori informazioni

Aspen West End · Maggiori informazioni

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".