Houzz Logo Print
janet_carmichael

Side Yard Sadness

Hello! We just purchased a new home and this is the side yard. I would love to demolish the whole thing and have actual grass nature but the quote to demolish and redo was astronomical. I was thinking that maybe resurfacing this fireplace might brighten up this cowboy look. Maybe I could add an outside rug to cover the stone and create some color?

The firepalce to me is a bit of an eyesore. Help Houzzers!

Commenti (16)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 mesi fa

I am not seeing anything horrible here I would suggest you think about how you will use the space and then decide if the FP needs to go.or needs fixing. I am not sure where the cowboy look is. To be honest I would be more concerned with the blue siding.

Janet Carmichael ha ringraziato Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Janet Carmichael
    Autore originale
    5 mesi fa

Hi Patricia, I am living with it and with furniture it does look a bit better but the lack of color is a little depressing to me. Granted come spring wiht plants there will be color but I'd love to jazz up this FP!

• la_la Girl
    5 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 mesi fa

I think a rug (or two), nice outdoor furniture, patio umbrella, throw pillows, side tables and large lush containers will go a really long way in this space -

a large water feature would also help soften all the hard surfaces (FWIW they attract tons of birds, which is a nice bonus - I made one out of a steel livestock container and an inexpensive pump)

ETA - could you add some fun outsider art above the mantle?

Janet Carmichael ha ringraziato la_la Girl
  • elcieg
    5 mesi fa

I think you have some good stuff with which to work. The fireplace looks fine.

Stain the fence black.

Plant.

Build a pergola for shade.

• RTHawk
    5 mesi fa

That looks like wood-burning fireplace. Can you check if that is to code where you live? Based on a quick google search, " On an outdoor wood burning fireplace, the chimney must be 2 feet taller than any and all adjacent structures. "

• chloebud
    5 mesi fa

Janet, you have what looks like a great space with tons of potential based on the suggestions and photos posted here.

I like your siding color!

Janet Carmichael ha ringraziato chloebud
  • Janet Carmichael
    Autore originale
    5 mesi fa

Thank you to everyone who posted here. Your comments were very helpful and gave me great hope for this space. Bring on spring!

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    4 mesi fa

Here are a few suggestions:

Janet Carmichael ha ringraziato Dig Doug's Designs
  • PRO
    Douglah Designs
    3 mesi fa

It looks like that could be a great space. It has lots of potential. We think you could try adding some plants, along with plant beds to add some greenery. Then you might look at getting some patio furniture to orient towards the fireplace. You could also look at doing an outdoor table and kitchen. Below are some visuals to aid you with your dilemma.

Wine Country Charm · Maggiori informazioni

Mediterranean Oasis · Maggiori informazioni

Lafayette, California Home Exterior · Maggiori informazioni

• Kat M
    3 mesi fa

If you’re after color year round, have you considered a mural on the fence? Or a background color stain for the fence with year round chairs that are bold in color? There are some amazing urns/pots and sustainable Adirondack chairs that can stay out year round also.
    We moved from a place where you can grow and enjoy outside year round to a place where it looks like a dead wasteland all winter. We had to learn how to bring color in to avoid being depressed when we look out.
    Consider your side yard and amazing backdrop for what you want. No mowing, no mud, etc. Enjoy it!

• Sigrid
    3 mesi fa

It looks to me like you have pavers that are probably set in sand or granite. The cost of removing them is the cost of hauling them all out of there. I'd see if I could pry any of them up, starting in a corner. You'd want to plant something with deepish roots in the space. Or build a planting box over it. I would not expect to be happy with large plantings in a planter box on top of that tile.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 mesi fa

hard to believe someone would spend 20 to 50 thousand to build all this.. and believe they didnt check code ... eh??

would be nice to know where this is.. big city name.. with some of the suggestions.. you will need a good sized pole barn to store all the furniture etc.. for 6 months of the year.. say nov thru april... until the stone warms enough to want to sit out there ... of course.. that is why the fireplace is there ... to take back two months on either side of winter .... is there another yard for said structure???

removal would ONLY pay off... on resale... so all this depends on how long you plan on staying... and if the housing market will be at a place to recoup your investment.. or should i say.. divestment ...

this is definitely a situation where i would suggest you at least move in.. and use this space for a year.. before you make any changes ...

and i agree.. it might be a great space for potted plants.. but then.. you will need to deal with storing them for winter ...

ken

• PRO
    Tipton Spires Design|Build
    3 mesi fa

Furniture arrangement and accessories with color pop would go a long way. Larger pots to anchor the fireplace with taller plantings, conifers or branchy species trees to give it some life. The space is nice...just needs a little TLC

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 mesi fa

Looks like the prior homeowner wanted a private, cozy space that was protected from the wind where they could sit outside. Hard to say since it’s a side yard and we don’t know what rooms are adjacent to the little porch. I bet it would look great with seating and a rug and party lights a big fire going.🙂

• Elizabeth K
    3 mesi fa

Agree! For now, string some lights, a few potted winter shrubs and in warm, lots of hibiscus while you live with it! 🌺

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".