Houzz Logo Print
imjustagirl86

Implications of a creating a rooftop terrace above living areas?

kay good
8 mesi fa

I have DA-approved plans for a 2-storey new build, but I just decided I would love to remove the front rooms from the top floor to have a large entertaining terrace to make the most of my amazing outlook. My Building Designer thinks that a terrace above a living area ( the whole top floor is on a concrete slab) is an invitation for waterproofing issues...but I can't get the new design out of my head.

Is it true or is it possible to have a great waterproof entertaining terrace without issues?

Commenti (5)

• Kate
    8 mesi fa

Of course it’s possible. It just needs attention during design and build. Two issues - have somewhere for the water to flow - backup of down pipes or box gutters , and waterproofing - especially around doors. Having a step up into the indoor space helps

• siriuskey
    8 mesi fa

Anything is, possible, you need to involve an engineer, plus it would mean going back to council for new approval, ie will you be overlooking anyone. What other rooms are on that floor

• dreamer
    8 mesi fa

Yes it is possible. Ensure the flooring is laid correctly with the slope/gradient to distribute any water to edges into appropriate plumbing. Have an open bottom balustrade. We have a balcony above our front lounge room, for the views. (Our home is double storey double brick with Concrete slab) No difference to your scenario . It’s about preparing the concrete slab with the correct waterproofing and flooring. With having internal rooms below the terrace, the plumbing for water removal will have to be around the edge of space. This needs to be sorted correctly, you obviously can’t have a plumbing duct in the middle of your ground floor room…..

• dreamer
    8 mesi fa

This is our friends house they recently sold. The entire roof was an entertaining deck. House is double brick, concrete slabs, three stories with roof terrace. Yes it can be done…..

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    8 mesi fa

if you love the idea and that's your vision then go for it!......trust your instinct about what you want for your house....are there risks? yes but they can be managed with experienced design & detail resolution and proper execution. Yes there is design & detail to re-consider, adjust, approvals to be re-done etc, and costs involved to get it right... If it's concrete structure then it actually should be better/safer but executing any levels/steps,setdowns & drainage detail in a suspended slab raises the degree of difficulty in execution and how it's engineered.....but yes it's doable and not rocket science

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".