Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2725912

Load bearing wall?

Utente-2725912
l'anno scorso

I want to remove the wall separating my kitchen from the living room in my townhome and need to figure out if its load bearing. The wall appears to be running perpendicular to the joists. I have attached photos of the wall. The remaining wall you see in the photo is a pantry.

I have also attached a photo of the ceiling from which a beam that runs from the pantry to about a quarter from the laundry on the right hand side, the pantry is on the left.

can i remove just the studs without any issue? can you tell from the photos whether its load bearing? do i need to install LVL beams? if i have to do that, i will probably rake the pantry down as well.

thanks for any insight!

ps. im posting here because we dont have structural engineers in our area.

what appears to be above the wall…

the X is where the bean ends, floor joists are vertical to that, which runs horizontal from left pantry

Commenti (9)

• PRO
    Estudio Peralez - Residential Design
    l'anno scorso

My guess is you want to minimize the removal of the gyp board ceiling but I recommend you open up the ceiling at the area in question so you have eyes on all attachments and components. You may very well discover other issues. Post more photos. It will be worth the time, money, and effort considering your safety is priority one. To clarify, I am not a Structural Engineer and stating my professional 'opinion' only.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    l'anno scorso

"Can i remove just the studs without any issue?"

Sure, it the wall isn't load bearing.

"Can you tell from the photos whether its load bearing?"

No.

"Do i need to install LVL beams?"

Possibly but that depends upon whether or not the wall is load bearing. Post pictures of the attic and crawlspace/basement framing please.

Saying you need a structural engineer to verify if the wall is load bearing is like having to be a mechanic to diagnose a flat tire.

• Utente-2725912
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Thanks Joseph. i posted photo of the upstairs above the wall. The house is on a concerete slab. ill post a photo of the attic if still necessary.

• Utente-2725912
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

This is whats sitting on the wall

• Utente-2725912
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

• Utente-2725912
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

photo looking straight up at the ceilling

• 3onthetree
    l'anno scorso

I would suggest bringing in an architect, designer, or contractor. What is important is the floor structure above, understanding beams vs truss joists, where the bearing points are, if you were to open a load bearing wall whether you have the option for beam support, the size of that new beam (LVL is just an option), and if the slab is sufficient. Not to mention whether/how difficult to move electrical and plumbing and what might be hidden in the Pantry walls.

So far, you have truss joists crossing on that wall, and it's bearing points are unknown. And I do not understand the 'X' beam marked.

• Utente-2725912
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Did you read that there arent any structual engineers in my area? also, did you see my pictures of inside the ceilling above?

• 3onthetree
    l'anno scorso

I read it, but can't believe there aren't any professionals of any nature that can look at this for you. An architect, designer, or contractor is not a structural engineer (but they may have had to use one on other projects they've done).

And yes, the ceiling shows truss joists for a 2nd floor, which is what I commented on. Those can either pass over this wall in question, making it non-load bearing, if the distance between other bearing walls is within range of the span.

OR,

Since you say something about an 'X' beam that I don't quite understand, but am assuming goes between the Pantry and other wall. So a truss could have been ordered long to be continuous over a midpoint wall acting as bearing, which coincides with a flush beam adjacent to the Pantry.

*** I use "truss joist" as a describing term, but that is only short for "open web floor truss" not to be confused with the brand name "Trus Joist" which is a different product.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".