Houzz Logo Print
ed_findlay

Kitchen layout.. any advice to improve a first attempt?!

Ed Findlay
l'anno scorso
Ultima modifica:l'anno scorso

Trying to decide on a layout for a small new build kitchen, it is pretty small, but keen to include a fridge/freezer, microwave, oven, hob and slimline dishwasher, and have full access to the corner from a cupboard for full use of storage..

This is my first attempt, using Ikea kitchen planner - not that we're fixed on Ikea (Howdens actually has a better sized corner cupboard for our space) it was just the easiest planner to draw with..

The right handside is unusable, as will have a sliding door into a downstairs loo and the stairs / entrance to passageway going to sitting room etc - all very difficult to draw on the planner tool, but hopefully clearer on the layout below:

Would love any suggestions about anything - from the layout, to colours, handles, surfaces etc. We are on a budget, hence considering Ikea/Howdens. The floor will be large scale light grey porcelain tiles (ie https://www.caesar.it/en/collections-porcelain-tile/join/wing/). Many thanks!!

Commenti (10)

• 88wj88
    l'anno scorso

Is this a flat or a house? How many people to live in it? I am asking as the fridge/ freezer proposed will be too small . I would put in a full height fridge/ freezer and put a free standing microwave on the worktop, or build it in somewhere else. ( I am not a fan of hot food at eye level I have to admit)

Ed Findlay ha ringraziato 88wj88
  • PRO
    Studio Trevow
    l'anno scorso

It looks a great start, I would be considering the glazed doors, depending on whether you have lots of display items? Normal covered storage might be more helpful, tidier and less dated.

I would also consider the angled cupboard, again this can feel a little dated, see if there are options for 90degree corners.

Ed Findlay ha ringraziato Studio Trevow
  • PRO
    Jemimah Barnett
    l'anno scorso

I agree with both those comments so far:

— Angled upper cabinetry could feel dated, I would stick to straight runs in the upper units if you can

— A full sized fridge would be vastly preferable.

Could you have a small free-standing island unit something like this or like this, which would give you a bit more counter space and storage? ...it looks from the floor plan like you might be able to.

If so, I'd go for a full size fridge freezer, and get a corner microwave to sit on the counter in that corner area that is hard to reach/utilise.

Also, because the various units are alternating widths, I would pick 1 door style for the upper units. Sometimes the alternating styles can look quite busy if there are variations in widths as well, whereas a clean run of flat fronted cabinets in a nice colour/finish would look super smart.

Ed Findlay ha ringraziato Jemimah Barnett
  • Jonathan
    l'anno scorso

Will this fit?

Ed Findlay ha ringraziato Jonathan
  • Eileen Nixon
    l'anno scorso

Definitely rethink microwave high up, such a dangerous thing when removing hot food especially if you have small children running round!

Ed Findlay ha ringraziato Eileen Nixon
  • Ed Findlay
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Thanks for all the comments so far. It's a small 2 bedroom "house", approx 700sqft.

-Fridge: yes this is one of my concerns too, just unsure how to fit in a full size.

-Microwave: I never knew there were corner versions! That could change things!

-Glazed doors: very good point, I had thought it might make the kitchen feel bigger and less claustrophic, but actually as you say, could look dated and less tidy. And agreed, sounds good going for one clean style of cupboard doors styles.

-Angled cupboard: was thinking of making the most of the storage, but actually gives very little extra, and as you say will look dated, so good point!

-Free standing counter: I think that would be a push, but it's food for thought, and potentially a small mobile butchers block might fit.. my main concern is that the front door is right there, so would be a bit hectic/cramped with people coming in and out if there was something in the middle.

@Jonathan I think it probably would fit, and I like the idea, but we'd lose the dishwasher, I definitely have a think about rejigging the layout a bit, thanks.

• 88wj88
    l'anno scorso

What is the length of the kitchen area ? Perhaps keep a straight run and not have a return behind the front door or you will find the door hits the unit every time someone walks in. It is better to open a front door past 90 degrees or it feels very cramped. I would also try to get tall cabinets up to the ceiling for as much storage as possible.

Ed Findlay ha ringraziato 88wj88
  • Ed Findlay
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@88wj88 sorry - that's where my Ikea planning skills met their limits! Completely agree with your comment, the planner picture is wrong, as the front door is inset from the street, so actually when closed sits approx level with the front of the return cabinet, and a return cabinet would be up against a wall on the side where the door is (slightly clearer from the 3rd diagram from the architects). Hope that makes sense. Very good point about the tall wall cabinets, thanks!

• 88wj88
    l'anno scorso

So sorry Ed - I wasnt paying enough attention and got bogged down in the planner pictures and missed the architects plan! It does make sense now

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".