Houzz Logo Print
abigail_shelton80

Improving Dark Subway Tile Master Bath

Abi Shelton
l'anno scorso

Does anyone have any ideas of improving the look of this master bathroom? The tile is the same color as the cabinets with white grout. My thought so far is to darken the grout. I’m thinking that could make it look better??? What else could be done? What do all the design gurus think? Thanks in advance!!!

Commenti (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    l'anno scorso
    Ultima modifica: l'anno scorso

IMO that whole thing is a mess and honestly the tile is the least of the issues since this is one of the silliest ideas ever is a tub in a shower and how does the door not get wet ?

• Abi Shelton
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

There is glass separating the tub from the shower (:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    l'anno scorso
    Ultima modifica: l'anno scorso

So there are open showers behind the tub?

How would darkening the grout make it look better?

You could install a larger format tile, quartz or ceramic directly over your existing tile.

• Lyn Nielson
    l'anno scorso

I would play up on the dark drama and wallpaper the bathroom with a dramatic paper.

Leave the large mirror and change out the light fixtures to increase the drama.

It's the Master Bath, right?

• Abi Shelton
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@Lyn thank you!! I was wondering about adding wallpaper. It is the Master Bath. I will def change the light fixtures too.

• Abi Shelton
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@Beverly there will be glass separating the tub from the shower. So the tub will sit right in front of the shower, not in it lol

I was thinking maybe what I was off putting to me was the stark contrast of the white grout with the dark tile. I’m not an expert, just was trying to figure out what was bothering me about it.

• la_la Girl
    l'anno scorso

Darkening the grout could clean up the noisiness of the tile but seems like a lot of work, maybe you could experiment on the shower-side of the tub and see what you think?

I agree with @Lyn Nielson to lean into the drama and think about a wallpaper - I would be really tempted to get oversized modern (more angular) faucets/fixtures - including showerheads (the current ones seem pretty anemic given the scale of the room). Large chrome hardware/pulls on the cabinets would be great - yes to 2 fabulous new lights - and perhaps take down the plate mirror and do a large modern mirror above each sink?

• PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    l'anno scorso

Dark bathrooms are amazibng. i have designed dark baths for many of my clients and they love them. You can wallpaper or paint tio make the bath moody and beautifil, and keep the tile.

Hope this helps!!

https://jarretyoshida.com/

• Fori
    l'anno scorso

Your tile guy was pretty good. He's gonna cry when you tone down his beautiful lines. :)

• eld6161
    l'anno scorso

I would leave it. I am assuming you chose this tile? Since it's a bathroom and not a common area I would live with it for a while.

Although not to my taste, it certainly isn't offensive.

• Susan Davis
    l'anno scorso

I like it. Just enjoy it. Add white towels and some pretty plants in the shower. This from a woman who has a pale yellow fiberglass shower surround in perfect condition in her three bathrooms. Such is life! 😝

• Jennifer Hogan
    l'anno scorso

I can't stop myself from imagining taking a shower or bath in this room.

I'm imagining laying in the tub when hubby decides to take a shower. Not the view I want Ick!

Thinking about taking a shower while hubby brushes his teeth - Not what I want him seeing in the mirror (I'm 60 - I don't want to catch a glimpse of myself much less have someone else looking at me naked.

The first thing I would do is cover the glass with some type of privacy film or decorative film.

Depending on what you choose you can really change the look and feel of the room and can make decisions on the paint color and décor based on that decision.

Some are more opaque than others... I thought this was a great solution to an awful view:

• olychick
    l'anno scorso

I think dramatic wallpaper would be wonderful. If you want to try dark grout without committing to coloring it (admittedly this is a tedious, time consuming suggestion), go to a craft supply store and find some brown tape that matches your tile. Cover a section of the grout lines with it and see what it looks like to you.

A little less moody, lol:

• suedonim75
    l'anno scorso

'm imagining laying in the tub when hubby decides to take a shower. Not the view I want Ick!

Thinking about taking a shower while hubby brushes his teeth - Not what I want him seeing in the mirror (I'm 60 - I don't want to catch a glimpse of myself much less have someone else looking at me naked.

I can't imagine why this would ever happen? Does your Spouse normally come in the bathroom while you are in it? Mine doesn't.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    l'anno scorso

My first impression is to paper the walls with a really vibrant, colorful pattern. There are SO many options and your palette of gray and white is so neutral that anything goes.

Check out Thibaut Designs and F. Schumacher, my two favorite wallcovering companies.

• Fori
    l'anno scorso

This is a shower built for two--no shyness allowed! :)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    l'anno scorso

I guess my other question is is this your choice or a new to you space?

• Abi Shelton
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

I like seeing my husband naked!!! Hahaha we are a young couple and very much in love LOL It’s a new space to us (:

• Jennifer Hogan
    l'anno scorso

@Abi Shelton - Ahhh to be young again!

• Jennifer Hogan
    l'anno scorso

What color do you wear that make you feel like a 10? When you are young and in love I think the bedroom and bathroom should make you feel sexy and desirable. I would want to incorporate those colors into the design. Not make the whole room that color, but maybe the sheets that color and a bedspread that complements the sheets and use those colors throughout the room. In the bathroom have towels the same color as the sheets. Use a great wallpaper and some décor items that make the bedroom and bathroom coordinate. . .

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    l'anno scorso

That's a very sweet story, @Jennifer Hogan!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".