Houzz Logo Print
angelina_dejesus27

Lava rock fireplace makeover

Angelina DeJesus
l'anno scorso

Hello- I have 13’ wide river / lava rock fireplace that I’m not a fan of. I was thinking about framing over it to cover the rocks but I’m not sure what’s the safest and most aesthetically pleasing way to tackle this project (particular the area around the opening). I also considered German schmear but my rocks are different sizes and bulky not flat. I’m not sure if that technique would look good on such a large lumpy area.
Here are some photos. I tried painting white and white washing but I didn’t get good feedback from those who saw it. I’m not sure if tearing out is wise since we don’t know what’s behind the stones. Any tips or suggestions you can provide would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Commenti (36)

• Lyn Nielson
    l'anno scorso

white washing isn't enough pigment.

I'd just paint it a flat white off the shelf.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'anno scorso
    Ultima modifica: l'anno scorso

I'd do a thicker, heavier schmear with actual mortar. Limewash isn't heavy enough to fill in those deep pockets.

it would look really good with something thicker

here's a few tutorials

https://tarynwhiteaker.com/german-schmear-stone-fireplace-2/

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/stone-fireplace-makeover-mountain-house

https://kristagilbert.com/how-to-german-smear-a-dated-river-rock-fireplace/

you could also fir it out, put up cement board, and tile w/something else

• btydrvn
    l'anno scorso

The real problem is proportion… I would decide whether to cover all of the stone or most of it…and if possible .. removing the step would bring it all back to a less overwhelming feature

• decoenthusiaste
    l'anno scorso

I would be more inclined to keep the stone and focus on drywall instead of the paneling and new flooring. Since you've already started, there may not be any going back.

• everdebz
    l'anno scorso

These days with 'updates' and transitional looks, maybe if your house has 'cool' elements, the fireplace's rough textures would be a good focal point. Here's what I could find- "updated Craftsman" etc...

Modern Northwoods Residence Living Room & Fireplace · Maggiori informazioni

Modern Northwoods Residence Great Room & Dining · Maggiori informazioni

Updated Craftsman Home With Black Trimming · Maggiori informazioni

TIMBER Coffee table · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    l'anno scorso

I like what decoenthusiaste suggested, that the big picture could be a change for the room's other surfaces. I didn't see any saved photos in your ideabooks, so we don't know what directions you consider....

if you have contemporary, current looks like leather/ framed chairs, and metal lamp, art, might be ok...

HUDSON RIVER VALLEY RETREAT · Maggiori informazioni

vidaXL Coffee Table Round End Side Table Living Room Furniture Teak Resin · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    l'anno scorso

Regular ceiling height in white? maybe an option would be including white, antiqued finishes - a 'blend' with lightened fp.

Martin Svensson Home Rustic Solid Wood 2 Drawer Coffee Table Antique White · Maggiori informazioni

Martin Svensson Home Napa Solid Wood Coffee Table White Stain and Natural Brown · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    l'anno scorso

Or medium finish would work imo, but not as dark as the wall panelling. The first could be DIY project almost.

Waterfall Coffee Table, San Andreas II · Maggiori informazioni

Napa Coffee Table, Natural · Maggiori informazioni

40" Wood Storage Coffee Table With Totes, Dark Walnut · Maggiori informazioni

• shirlpp
    l'anno scorso

You've gotten a few replies on another forum about this.

I find the fireplace to be intrusive. Can you live with it? Even if it's modified?

• mojavemaria
    l'anno scorso

We had a similar situation in a previous house, a stone fireplace that took up an entire wall. After living with it 3-4 years alternately hating it and thinking it was kind of cool we decided to remove it.

Turns out it was very poorly built and we ended up with no fireplace and a large hole in the wall. After putting a window where the hole was and installing an epa recommended fireplace in a corner we enjoyed that room much more.

I think with the way your stones jut out in some places so much more than others neither painting or smearing mortar is going to make it look good to you. I‘d get out the sledghammer and hopefully your house was built properly and you can have a blank slate to put in something you love.

• shirley_bussolari
    l'anno scorso

Sorry, but personally, I really like your fireplace. If you can get the white paint off that you already put on, I would have a large wood beam mantle installed and put a big basket for wood on one side of the hearth and something else on the other side for balance. IMO the white cheapens that beautiful, natural stone.

• coray
    l'anno scorso

I think Beth H. had some great ideas….see comments above.

• beanym
    l'anno scorso

Before doing something permanent to the fireplace I’d think about the rest of the room. The paneling, the orange tone carpeting…what is the overall ‘look’ you want to obtain? Work on that first, then the fireplace will tell you.

• PRO
    User
    l'anno scorso

I agree with shirley_bussolari. I think it is a really cool feature. I would focus on the rest of the room first and then see how you feel about the fireplace. If the surrounding carpet is switched out to light hardwood and the walls lightened, I'd be interested to see how that fireplace becomes a real highlight of the space and nod to the era your home was built.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    l'anno scorso

IMO first is this a wood burning FP? Is it actully a working FP. Those answers will help decide what to do about it IMO painting, or doing a shmear will only make those look likle you tried to delete them and failed.If this is working wood buning FP you are very limited to what you can do to cover the stone so I need a bit more info please This looks like a 50s ranch style home and that FP would have been the feature what is in the basement or crawl space under that . I have a huge stone FP in my 1956 MCM ranch but the whole FP is supported by a huge concrete base that holds up the stone FP . I actully hated it when we first started renovating and now it is my fave part of the house I love the juxtaposition of the very rough staone and my very clean contemporary space so maybe share a bit more about yoye style and what you are planning for the house ,

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Answering some questions from above: Here’s the flooring and my couch. I am interested a clean look. Modern farmhouse or Studio McGeeish. I do like Leanna Ford use of German schmear but she is too modern minimalist for my house. If my budget was unlimited I’d rip this stones out. Thank you to all the suggestions thus far. All the feedback is helpful.

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

I like to keep things simple. I hate clutter. I like Studio McGee style.

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Here’s my entire living room. It’s 26’ wide. Across from it will be the kitchen and dining. Kitchen was gutted. Doing white shaker with light gray quartz counters 8’ island. Wood dining table & this light. Hopefully that helps explain my design.

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Entire space minus flooring and panels

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

*entire living room space

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Hi Patricia -it’s a gas fireplace probably converted at some point. House was built in the late 60s

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'anno scorso

Angelina, here are some links and ideas for you.

BTW, if you want to remove the rock, you don't need a budget, just a chisel/hammer and some friends!

you can watch a video how to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5a6aX2eCzI

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2827536/removal-of-1970s-faux-rock-lava-stone-wall-behind-fireplace

Or, fir it out, put up cementboard, and do something else. you'll save a thousand or two if you prep it for the tile person

I'd prob do something cool like this type of black glazed brick or a zellige tile

you said you like this look (just the fireplace). it would pretty simple to DIY. do the cement or plaster overlay, and paint it a deep charcoal/black.

Another option is a cement overlay, or a roman plaster overlay. lots of how-tos online

if you google plaster fireplace makeover, lots of good looks.

here's the venetian plaster makeover

https://www.painterati.com/fireplace-transformation-dated-to-contemporary/

What you could do is remove a good portion of the width, do the overlay over the firebox portion, and then do something else on the sides like bookcases or benches.

If you like the Mortar look, read this on how they did theirs:

https://www.chrislovesjulia.com/how-to-diy-over-grouted-stone-fireplace-for-under-200

I like this look

Scroll down to where they post the how to w/the mortar recipe.

pipe in all the joints first:

then you point it, smooth it, brush it, and sponging it. less than $200 for supplies

if you just painted it.

lastly, if you want to keep it, work around it

remove most of the rock, cement board, new tile or overlay, on the sides, some type of built-ins.

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Thanks again for all the feedback. I think I’ll hold off until the walls are up, etc.

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

The shape of the stones on my fireplace make some suggestions a bit tricky or not doable. Making a decision is super hard. I really want to take the stone down but the guys helping me say don’t do it, that’s it too much work. So I guess I’ll wait, maybe paint an off white light gray for now.” until I know the exact direction to go in. 😩

• everdebz
    l'anno scorso

After seeing 2 same-sized rooms -- I think about peel and stick or grasscloth wallpaper on the backs of the shelving - any color or pattern, chosen before or after large decisions.

Also the ceiling beams lend toward stone, or whole wall of smooth tile.... ?

• btydrvn
    l'anno scorso

The thing to remember is that now is the ideal time to remove the stone…later you will have things in place that will most likely be damaged or even ruined during the demolition…from your pictures of your style …..it is unlikely this stone will ever fit in….also …at this time demo is not a big deal..really….and if there is a hidden problem…now is the time to address that as well…

• tozmo1
    l'anno scorso

@btydrvn I agree, this is the ideal time to remove the stone if the OP really wants it out, but to say, "at this time demo is not a big deal" is wrong, wrong, wrong. Removing stone is physically exhausting and dangerous. Hauling stone is physically demanding and finding a place to put the stone once it's removed is a big dump fee or a large outdoor project if repurposed or maybe you can find someone to take it off your hands if you're willing to put up with all the scammers on Craigslist. This sounds like a DIY project from the OP's statement "the guys helping me say don’t do it, that’s it too much work." Removing the stone is a lot of work at any time in this project. If you have helpers, don't wear out your welcome with them until everything else is done.

@Angelina DeJesus If you love Studio McGee, check out Season 2 Episode 5 of their show on Netflix. Even Shea didn't rip out a stone fireplace, she painted it white (surprise! 🤣) Beth's first idea, "a thicker, heavier schmear with actual mortar." is what she did.

Looks like a great house and a big project, all the best to you!

• tozmo1
    l'anno scorso

@Angelina DeJesus What are you doing with the existing hardwood floors?

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

The original floor was vinyl sheets. It’s removed and will be replace with vinyl wood like plank flooring. Photo posted earlier. I went with a lighter floor.

• tozmo1
    l'anno scorso

Wow, the floor in front of the fireplace looks like wood. That is some nice vinyl sheet at least in a picture. Not suggesting you keep it, just saying it looks like wood in the picture. The lighter floor will look nice.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'anno scorso

I like the mortar idea too.

all I said about the removal is it really isn't a huge deal if the op are younger people.

you can rent a truck to dump the stones, or hire someone for that. PIA? yes. but it doesn't need to be expensve or difficult. I've done much more labor intensive DIY things in my own home and clearly survived.

• everdebz
    l'anno scorso

Hear hear! [for being young and/or surviving reno]

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    l'anno scorso

I suggest framing a wall in front of the stone will be much easier than ripping it out. If you go this route, be sure to use steel framing around the opening, one of the pictures in this thread shows wood framing around the opening, which is not to code and creates a fire hazard. You cannot put drywall right up to the opening either, so at least 12" around the opening should be covered with Hardie Board and then whatever none-combustible facing material you choose to go around the opening can be applied over the Hardie Board. Or, you can smooth over the Hardie Board with plaster and feather it into the drywall.

You can also just cover the wall with steel like the examples below. What to do with the raised hearth will need to be considered.

• Angelina DeJesus
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Thanks Hansen Wholesale

• userLA57
    l'anno scorso

Keep going! Don't decide until you are finished. I limewashed our fireplace stone with floor grout and couldn't be happier with it. So much better than the before. However, halfway through I had my doubts. Glad I finished it out.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".