Houzz Logo Print
stephcollins4

Help! Advice needed for fireplace tile.

Steph Creen
l'anno scorso

Hi everyone. I am in the process of updating the tile on our fireplace. We recently updated our kitchen and repainted the interior. Our living room and kitchen are open concept so they need to complement each other. I've been looking at tiles for months and am not sure if I should go with a herringbone pattern or hexagon. I think both could work, but I'm worried that a hexagon pattern on the fireplace might look dated in a few years. I haven't found too many photos out there. I'm curious what your thoughts are on these three tiles or if you have any other suggestions. I appreciate your help.

Photos below of the kitchen, current fireplace, and potential tile options.

Commenti (13)

• PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    l'anno scorso

Hi,

A couple of thoughts…I don’t think the hex will really age in a few years. That being said I think the herringbone may, in my opinion, be the way to go for a couple of reasons. The length of the tile lends itself to the width of the fireplace. Also, though it is subtle, the size of the tile in the herringbone (though not the same size it is a length and width idea) ties into the tile in the backsplash in the kitchen. You have a beautiful marble tile pattern in the kitchen and this will tie into and compliment that. I pesonally for these two reasons would go with the herringbone pattern.

Hoping this helps.

Best,

Jarret Yoshida

https://jarretyoshida.com/

Steph Creen ha ringraziato Jarret Yoshida Design
  • cate erickson
    l'anno scorso

I like the herringbone. I think it will really modernize the fireplace without being to busy. The hexagon looks similar to what is there now which makes the fireplace look a little stubby rather then enlongated. Love the tile colors!

• Lyn Nielson
    l'anno scorso

gray looks like you've settled on gray walls, forever.

I'd find a white with texture... timeless

• Steph Creen
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Thank you, @Jarret Yoshida Design. I appreciate the insight.

• Steph Creen
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso
    Ultima modifica: l'anno scorso

Thanks @cate erickson I definitely don't want it to be too busy or blah. I was hesitating with the size of the herringbone (it's 1x3), but I just don't love the smaller sizes for the space.

• la_la Girl
    l'anno scorso

for a classic, timeless look, what if you got solid pieces of the marble or stone and did it like this?

I agree with Beth if you can do slabs instead of tile I think it will age so much better

Steph Creen ha ringraziato la_la Girl
  • cate erickson
    l'anno scorso

@Steph Creen I like the size you picked. Any larger and the pattern is going to have to cut off to much. My sister in law has this same size and it looks phenomenal.

Steph Creen ha ringraziato cate erickson
  • Wildcat Blue
    l'anno scorso

If I had to chose between the two you are considering I would choose the herringbone pattern. Herringbone marble is always classic and timeless. Good luck!

Steph Creen ha ringraziato Wildcat Blue
  • Steph Creen
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@Beth H. :These are some really great ideas, and I appreciate you taking the time to add visuals; it really helps. I have actually looked into some of these options, but it all comes down to price, unfortunately. That beautiful elongated hex is $60/sq ft., so not within my budget... but that was definitely my first choice. The kitchen backsplash is Bedrosian Chloe and I initially looked into doing 4x4 tiles of something similar on the fireplace, but I think it may look too similar. I'm actually in the process of ripping out the backsplash due to a poor installation, and will probably use a warm gray grout this time instead of bright white so it doesn't look so stark. Thanks again for the suggestions!

• Steph Creen
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

I know. Those specific elongated hex tiles are from Tile America. Haven’t had much luck finding the same look elsewhere.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'anno scorso
    Ultima modifica: l'anno scorso

I edited my comment and added 4 links for you.

Steph Creen ha ringraziato Beth H. :
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".