Houzz Logo Print
mary_poole5909

How to hide the ugly telephone pole and wires?

Mary Poole
l'anno scorso
Ultima modifica:l'anno scorso

We just lost the huge, enchanted spruce tree that hid all of this telephone pole mess in our urban backyard. Another spruce will take forever to grow (and was actually too big for the space anyway), and the neighbor already has the arbor vitae. I imagine two poplars there, but I won't do it because I know they're invasive. The vine just seems to highlight the problem (although I might put in a clematis just to soften the corner a little.

Commenti (11)

• M Riz
    l'anno scorso

Picture, zone and sun exposure.

• Mary Poole
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

I added the picture three times... (!) Zone 7b, mostly afternoon sun, at least 6 hours.

The second picture is better. Thanks!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    l'anno scorso

I’m trying to imagine a spruce in there. Maybe something like Taxus xmedia ’Beanpole’.

tj

• D Bee
    l'anno scorso

It is an unfortunate spot for a pole but I'd try to attract attention away from the pole with something dramatic rather than covering it up. Our city gets pretty difficult if we grow vines on the poles here. I have a Sun King, Golden Japanese aralia that is the most dramatic perennial I grow. You'd have to check the sun you get. I grow mine in a pretty sunny spot and it does really well here in Zone 6/Canada. It grows quickly to about 6 x 6 feet and dies right to the grown when the heavy frosts hit.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    l'anno scorso

If you could make a focal point at the base of the pole it would draw the eye away from the top of it. There’s a lot of clutter in the bed so the eye doesn't know where to look. Even the edging is distracting. A single large container of something bright and striking, lined up between the newel posts, with a background of shrubbery would force the eye to look at it. It would also take the eye past the ac enclosure, or whatever it is.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    l'anno scorso

Something like a Natchez White Crepe Myrtle will grow there and the canopy will help hide the pole and wires (they also grow fairly fast) In my jurisdiction (SE Georgia) the power company has approved Crepe myrtles for under the wires since they never grow large enough to interfere

• PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    l'anno scorso

I agree with floral_uk, and would add that having something climbing the pole onto the wires will add weight and then possibly interfere with service, possibly leading to the wires coming down.

Add to the bottom of the pole with maybe a beautiful bush and flowers at the base to grab attantion, it will bring the eye to those and take away from the pole.

Hope this helps. Jarret Yoshida.

https://jarretyoshida.com/

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    l'anno scorso

Agree with an attractive eye-catching plant at or near the base of the pole. If you don’t want to call attention to the pole, don’t plant flowers on it!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    l'anno scorso

I'd rig a sailcloth or put in a pergola type something overhead so I simply rarely looked up.

You could tuck in a nice shady retreat back there oriented to face back out into the yard.

Keep that mess overhead/behind/out of your sight line.

• Mary Poole
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Wow! Thank you for all of your input - what a great community! I agree with everyone that the vine on the wires has to go (I still have to convince my husband to drag it down), and the pergola idea is intriguing, too. Any suggestions for a tree that would work here?

• charles kidder
    l'anno scorso

I would plant a fast growing arborvitae in front of it and be done with it.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".