Houzz Logo Print
liu_shi11

Choosing between gray or white cabinets

Liu Shi
2 anni fa

I am trying to decide if I shoud use gray or white cabinets. My countertop is Hanstone quartz. I have chosen Ellie Gray in SW paint in cabinet. Yesterday went to see the Hanstone quartz supplier and foun the Hanstone has more gold than gray in its veins. Not sure if I still can use Ellie Gray as cabinet color.

In the picture, the left is floor color, middle cabinet color and right the quartz color. Thanks so much for your help!!

Commenti (67)

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

@Sammie J The quartz is from Hanstone. In their website, they state it is warm white background pairs beautifully with warmer whtie cabinets and gold hardware. We wanted to go on a more modern and wanted the room looker bigger. We have to paint since it is stained.

• njmomma
    2 anni fa

Is the tile only in the kitchen?

If it is, I believe you can LVT over the existing tile, but check into that.

If this is possible you may be able to get the total look of your kitchen that you want.

• anj_p
    2 anni fa

Why can't you restain your cabinets instead of paint them? Your cabinets are traditional, so just be aware that they will still look traditional when painted.

I agree that the calacatta doesn't look warm enough. Hanstone's website calls it both cool and warm, which to me says that it's not fully either and might not play well with your floor. The pic you show doesn't show gold at all.

Regardless, if you want to paint, go with a warm white.

Liu Shi ha ringraziato anj_p
  • Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Yes, the cabinets are very traditional. So if painted in warm white, and the middle chunk of the range hood will be replaced with stainless steel rangehood, the kitchen will be more tansitional. At the time when the house was built, since we live in Texas, they did not offer many simple line choices in terms of cabinets. Since the cabinets are custom made using quality wood, I hate to replace them. I will choose a warmer white to go with the counter top.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Will Sherwim WIlliams Alabaster work for the cabinets?

• kandrewspa
    2 anni fa

SW Alabaster or Greek Villa are good ones to look at. Did you look into refacing? That way you can change the style as well as the color.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@kandrewspa Thanks!! I haven’t heard about refacing before. Will definitely look into it.

• kandrewspa
    2 anni fa

Refacing is more expensive than painting, but less expensive than buying all new cabinets. It looks better than you might think - the fronts are all new and the boxes have a veneer applied to them to match the new fronts. The previous owners of our house did it and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Then you're just living with your existing layout, so as long as you're not unhappy with the layout it could be a good option for you and last a long time. If painting isn't done correctly it has a short life.

• suedonim75
    2 anni fa

I know you really want those counters, but what everyone is trying to politely tell you, is that they look terrible with your floors. If you want those counters, you have to change the flooring. There is really no way to make them work together.

• marhop
    2 anni fa

SWAlanaster is lighter than BM Natural Linen even though BM natural linen is considered an off white. An in paint store decorator can color match any brand paint to another brand

Liu Shi ha ringraziato marhop
  • marylut
    2 anni fa
    1. If the rest of the cabinetry on the main floor (i.e., powder room vanity) is the same style as the family room and kitchen cab, then definitely don’t change the kitchen cab door style because you want to create a cohesive look throughout the home.

2. Because the kitchen is open to the family room, IMHO the cabinets in both rooms should be the same style and color.

3. Your painter can take a family room cab door to the paint store for a color match. Painting stained and polyurethaned wood is best done by a pro.

4. Do the gold hardware in the kitchen if you want. Consider buying a fancier version of it for the family room cab doors.

5. If you are not changing the busy pattern floor tile, you need your color and pattern choices for the counter and backsplash to work with the floor and not compete. I think your countertop should be plain, and a white to blend with the cab color. If not plain, then bring in the floor color with a lightly speckled or lightly veined counter. Be sure to pick out the exact slab to be used as they vary alot.

6. Consider getting rid of the 2- tier counter and make the whole counter standard counter height. This will give you more workspace and a more updated look you are after.

7. If you want the kitchen to feel bigger, consider doing a wood vent hood instead of stainless steel. The stainless steel will stop the eye and actually make the room feel smaller.

8. If the counter and cabs are white, you can go wild with a backsplash tile color you really love. Or a subtle color but Interesting shape you love and contrasting grout (arabesque, diamond, fish scale, twist rope border…), and add color in the countertop accessories.

Liu Shi ha ringraziato marylut
  • Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@marylut I really like your idea. I thnk we already made the same decisions as in your suggesiton 1) 4) 6) and we wanted to use the counter top quartz as the backsplash. The reason we like Hanston Calcatta quartz is because it does not have very busy patterns and pretty subtle. It is mostly white with some gray and gold veins ( I could not really see gray and gold is more like beige color in it under light) The travertine floor has some dark beige color. Not sure if we need to match the mantle color with the kitchen cabinet doors. It is really hard to pick out a countertop quartz since some of the patterns are very wild.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@suedonim75 Any suggestions for the countertop quartz would be welcome!

• Gwendolyn Hayes
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

Your cabinets are beautiful as-is. I recommend you do anything except paint the cabinets. White and gray are on the way out, and in another 10 years you won't be able to un-paint the cabinets. Perhaps you can have them sanded and give them a clear coat? Natural cherry looks wonderful as it ages. Keep the countertop simple, and replace the glass-tiled backsplash with something more natural that ties in with the floor and countertop, like stone-look tile or rustic tile.

Liu Shi ha ringraziato Gwendolyn Hayes
  • Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thanks so much for everyone for your advice/suggestions. We decided to go back to the drawing board. We will go to SW to select greige grey color-possibly agreeable gray and then select the counter top quartz. Really appreciate your feedback that really helped us to change the course before going to the wrong path.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@User That is what we are still deciding on. Should we just change the countertop?

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

Quartz behind your cooktop/range? Please check with manufacturer to ensure that is an appropriate product use or if it violates the product warranty.

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

What many of us are saying….listen to your home….it wants a cohesive look - especially things permanently attached to the house - critical for rooms open to each other. Carefully study photos of what real Pros matched in kitchen and family room, what they didn’t match but how they coordinate.

• gtdj519
    l'anno scorso

I dont think think the rbay cabinets look good wirh the floor and courner. on my screen the counters and floor look more beige/ gold - warmer tones id say an off white or ivory cabinet color would be better i do no think white cabnets are foinf our they are a tried a true classic i jsit dont think a stark white will look good with those chocoes. if you like grey, id say change the floor and counter color. i also think grey is a classic neautral and is not ”out”. it jsit doesnt work wirh your current selections

Liu Shi ha ringraziato gtdj519
  • marylut
    l'anno scorso

You asked for quartz color suggestions. If the floor tile is staying, choose a countertop having one of the tile colors. I circled 3 different colors in your tile.

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

If you have your heart set on the quartz you picked, then the definite way to go is to increase your budget to change the kitchen flooring to one of the colors in your quartz. I circled 3 different colors in your quartz.

• jackowskib
    l'anno scorso

Try to see and choose the actual countertop slabs being used so you know what is going in and where any seams will be visible.

Liu Shi ha ringraziato jackowskib
  • Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Just wanted to show a few pictures on Houzz counter top choices with travertine tiles. some seemed to work.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

This one seemed odd.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Our inital idea is similar to the one above except the cabinet style. We did not think about the floor at all.

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

You didn’t think about the floor? Because you plan to change it also?

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

Another option is to go with the classic black and white combo, keep your countertop (uba tuba?) and paint the cabinets the same color white as the family room built-ins. Then add your gold cabinet hardware in both rooms, repeat 2 accents colors in both rooms. A classic and cohesive look. (I don’t think the tile floors in the photos you just posted look as bold or as patterned as your floor.)

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

(Ignore the cab door style, your raised panel doors are an upgrade from this kitchen), the black and white scheme tones down the bold floor and may work in your traditional home as well

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

Another option if you keep the tile floors

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

If you want to simplify from traditional to transitional, look into inset slab doors or full overlay shaker doors, replace cabinet knobs with pulls, replace cooktop vent hood with a fake cab door front, have all the upper cabinets stop along the same horizontal line and preferably reach to the ceiling, replace the cabinet crown molding with a simple molding if they don’t reach the ceiling, if you don’t absolutely love the yellow beige tile floor then replace it now - or some say you can use a special paint to change the color, if the family room is wall to wall carpet replace both floors, if keeping the kitchen tile floor then see if Strato quartz goes better than Calcutta Gold, or see if you like the black counter if other changes are made, if you want white kitchen cabs you can color match the paint to the family room built-ins, if you want gray cabinets use a gray with same undertone as the floor - - not true gray, blue gray, green gray or purple gray. Two tone kitchens are popular and if you aren’t afraid about dating your kitchen when the trend ends do white upper cabs to be seen from the family room and gray lowers. Or paint the lowers color of the year green only if you love green. Or paint them your favorite color. If you haven’t updated the lighting, add that to the list. Group the changes by which must be done together (new cab doors and same height along the wall) and what you can afford now that will make the biggest impact.

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

quartz that might work with your floor

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

What do you all think about this one?

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

What do you think about this one?

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Probably not that white for countertop. Maybe a warmer white.

• RedRyder
    l'anno scorso

If you’re keeping the Cherry cabinets, your first countertop choice will work. Your wood cabinets are warm, as are your floor and countertop choice. Grays are COOL. Do not look at anything gray. If you are keeping the cabinets, you’re only needing a new countertop, but your post was asking for a paint color for the cabinets to go with the existing floors.
    Maybe you should consider a new floor so you can have your dream kitchen….

Liu Shi ha ringraziato RedRyder
  • Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@RedRyder So far we do not plan the budget for the floor. My dream kitchen may be my next house. A more contermpary home in general. Thanks!

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

the devil is in the DETAILS…can you find a better inspo pic? Because you certainly won’t get the look of the latest inspo pic. Why? You will have yellowy beige floors, yellowy beige counter, yellowy beige counter slab as backsplash, yellow walls in family room, reddish brown cherry cabs in kitchen, white cabs and white fireplace surround in family room. in inspo pic it seems they worked with the flooring and the the reddish brown cherry cabs like yours have been offset with gray tone floor NOT like yours, gray tone countertop and gray tones varying in subway tiles backsplash, and we can’t see their family room.

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@marylut I like vicostone’s Botticino classic as my first choice as counter top. Will decide on backspash later.

• marylut
    l'anno scorso

Check Botticino Classico against your floors, does either look “dingy” or they work well together? fingers crossed for you!

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

Thanks to all of your help, my kitchen renovation finished finally. We are happy with the results. Here is the photo of the new kitchen.

• H D
    l'anno scorso

Beautiful! What is the wall color?

Liu Shi ha ringraziato H D
  • marylut
    l'anno scorso

Wow, wow, wow! beautiful kitchen, the brown cabs look amazing with your tile floor (so neither gray nor white cab -your original dilemma - was the best option). Thanks for posting After photo and for inviting us Houzzers on your renovation journey. Enjoy for many years to come

• Timi M
    l'anno scorso

It’s a beautiful kitchen. I love the darker wood. Starting to tire of the white cabinets everywhere, although they can be beautiful, too.

Liu Shi ha ringraziato Timi M
  • Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

So glad that I listened to your suggestions! I changed the direction and it turned out great!

• Liu Shi
    Autore originale
    l'anno scorso

@H D The wall is creamy white.

• H D
    l'anno scorso

Thanks so much, it looks great I your kitchen. just to confirm it’s Sherwin Williams Creamy?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".