Houzz Logo Print
sans007

Paint color - please help! Sounded like a good idea at the time...

sans007
2 anni fa
Ultima modifica:2 anni fa

I absolutely LOVED this wall when we first painted it black(ish). Now I'm thinking I want a warmer feel and the black is so cold. I know the common choice is to paint white, but has anyone ever seen a wall like this painted a light color such as an Edgecomb grey or even a Pashmina (Sherwin Williams)? ANY suggestions are welcome. Taking down the stone isn't an option at this point. Or should I just go off white? Beams are espresso. Walls are Sherwin Williams Ultra Pure White. Would like to not have to paint them again but will if necessary. I want to warm it up with a different rug too, maybe ivory or tan. And a new light fixture. But this wall?!

Thank you!

Commenti (43)

• Cynthia
    2 anni fa

Call me crazy, I like the black!

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

THANK YOU! Maybe I'm just bored and should leave it. Would save a lot of work. lol

• ptreckel
    2 anni fa

Perhaps if you placed art over the mantle rather than your tv it would help lighten up the space? Place the tv on the wall to the right, instead. I think it is the black on black of the tv on the painted fireplace that is making it look oppressive right now. Mock it up with a large piece of art (with light colors in it) over the mantle (in front of your tv for now). See if that adds some life and light to the space.

• ptreckel
    2 anni fa

(I meant to place the tv on the wall to the left where the long sofa is now! Sorry!)

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thank you ptreckel. I worry about our south facing room and sun glare on the television if we put it on the north wall. I like the art idea though.

• krystalmoon2009
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

Need some pops of other colors, maybe in a throw or pillows and greenery from plants would help. Otherwise I like the black.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 anni fa

IMO what's cold are the silver mirrors and lamps.

I brightened your photo. Could you please explain what you have on either side of the stone fireplace?

Could you simply paint the ends of the wall a new paint color and leave the fireplace black?

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

I see what you mean about the silver mirrors. I could paint the units on either side however they only go up 8' then stop. There is some stone directly above each one. I love that idea if I can make it work somehow.

• la_la Girl
    2 anni fa

I like the black too! (it helps the TV blend in) The current mirrors read a little glam to me - what about some large rattan (or wood) mirrors for a warmer look? (Serena & Lily has some nice ones)

sans007 ha ringraziato la_la Girl
  • PRO
    Connie Elaine's Draperies
    2 anni fa

Just a couple of things. I really do like the black, so you are off to a good start! The accessories throw it off (to my eye).

1) The silvers are not playing nicely with all of the warm tones.

2) Recover those pillows that match the chairs (I have never understood why furniture 'sets' are done that way). Find some with black and warm tones. See how nice your little black and beige/white dog looks on the sofa:) Perfect!

3) Tall wood tone sculpture or art on fireplace wall cabinets.

4) Lamps with warm color bases to pop against the black.

5) Greenery as mentioned earlier. Maybe one taller on the hearth.

6) I see a cord on the floor on the left side of the loveseat. That area seems to be a good place for a side table and lamp rather than lamps that don't appear to be good for reading when they are so far away from the seating. And another lamp on the table between the chairs.

sans007 ha ringraziato Connie Elaine's Draperies
  • anj_p
    2 anni fa

I think if you change the mantle to a stained wood and make it thicker, and maybe warm up the mirrors (wood frame?) it would go a long way to making it pop. A bit of color would help as well - primary colored flowers in the vase, maybe?

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Lightening the mantle would be easy if I can paint it but I don't think I could change out the mantle. I think that would probably make a huge difference but never occurred to me.

• anj_p
    2 anni fa

We have a frame TV and we love it.

You could build a wood box mantle over the one you have - you wouldn't need to remove it.

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thank you, anj_p!

• housegal200
    2 anni fa

Put two complementary art works where the mirrors are. Vertical but this palette:

"Spectrum In Gold & Black" by Rachel Springer, Canvas Print, 26x26" · Maggiori informazioni

Industrial II Fine Art Giant Canvas Print, Black, Beige, 54"X54" · Maggiori informazioni

Change mantel to wood.

Add an armful of chunky wood logs in the firebox and another armload in a woven basket on the hearth.

Rectangular Handwoven Storage Basket, Twisted Sea Grass With Wood Frame · Maggiori informazioni

Add more wood elements to the room.

Haussmann® Original Wood Twist Stool 12 X 12 X 23 In High Mocha Oil · Maggiori informazioni

• housegal200
    2 anni fa

Also you could put one of your mirrors over the sofa across from the windows to reflect the outdoors.

I know you went in a glam direction, but it wouldn't take much to go with more texture and natural materials--wood, knubby textures--which always warm up a room. Consider changing out your sofa pillows to echo black wall and possible future art. You're a little too matched up.

Faux Gold And Black Starry Night Brushstrokes Couch Throw Pillow - Cover (20 x · Maggiori informazioni

"Black and Gold Brush Strokes" Black Gold Abstract Painting Throw Pillow · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

If other things change around the room, I think the mirrors/ lamps are a contrasting start.... but for the spotlights - I think worth looking into each one replaced with a 2-spot track - it's a high ceiling, and so it's not unusual to have them.

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

Possibly a sleek, modern, shiny ceiling fan would accent also, yes? From some angles it 'shows against' the black. Which is 'worse' - paying a few hundred, or paying to paint over the black? ;)

Minka Aire Java Polished Nickel 54" Indoor Ceiling Fan · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

Very dark espresso beams - if you paint over black: blend-ok mocha?

and if leaving it black, the silvery -

Kichler 310112 Lehr II 54" Indoor / Outdoor Ceiling Fan - Coffee Mocha · Maggiori informazioni

Kichler 310112 Lehr II 54" Indoor / Outdoor Ceiling Fan - Antique Satin Silver · Maggiori informazioni

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Everdebz - amazing! I love the touches down to the baskets. What do you think of something like this to replace the mirrors? (Leaning)

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

When at Home Depot a salesperson told me about a new motor for fans, quieter: using DC. Those Kichlers seem to be DC, were $770, with good reviews.

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

high-powered, energy-efficient DC motor for 440. In our bedroom, I will need quieter.

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

This comes in 5 finishes for 295. For an urban/ glam look, could use richer wood finish [than current fan]- change mantel to similar, - you have table basket - so as was said already: add more texture?

Depends on entire space, and house - can you show more, kitchen is it white or dark, etc..?

Minka Aire Wave 52" Ceiling Fan With Remote Control, Distressed Koa · Maggiori informazioni

vidaXL Coffee Table Round End Side Table Living Room Furniture Teak Resin · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

Just to show an idea - though 6,400 from this seller - adds character, if you want that look.

The ceilings are white, and show contrast with beams, so Idk that bits of white is bad.

Walnut Round Coffee Table, Opaque White_35" (100cm) · Maggiori informazioni

sans007 ha ringraziato everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 anni fa

Your mirror post with warm/ cool together - say you go with housegal's pillows, etc., could try those of course...

but a mention that the entire fp wall has the cool tones, and that isn't bad, I guess.

Any see industrial/ loft with much black, and dressy chandelier???

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

Beige and black contemporary - nice with sectional - different sizes/colors

Sara Milk Glass Chandelier, Small · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

only 30"W

Chandelier CURREY GRAND LOTUS 6-Light Contemporary Silver Leaf · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

I don't often like the cage lights, but could be good.

This is pretty though.

El Sol 16-Light Crystal Chandelier · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

Because this has 3 different surfaces, I like it with your current fan.

Acme Large Coffee Table With Aluminum And Cocoa Top Grain Leather 84885 · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

I guess what I mean is - that with black so dominant, not sure you need new, to 'pop' at the sides of fp. But some striking light could 'show well' directly sort of against the black.

2nd, with your liked fabric patterns?

Adler Chandelier, 8-Light, Gold, 32.5"W (SCH-153425 8021UC6) · Maggiori informazioni

Gabby Alta chandelier · Maggiori informazioni

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

I love many of the chandeliers you posted. So you don't think I need to paint the wall? Just by adding these accents would be enough?

• Melissa R
    2 anni fa

some visuals2

sans007 ha ringraziato Melissa R
  • mistychaz
    2 anni fa

I can see some wicker baskets on or by the hearth and some warm wood logs in the fireplace And, yes, gold accent mirrors or frames on either side of fireplace.

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

Melissa's canvas art nice neutrals and abstract, nice contrast to stones/beams. I bet art over the sofa would warm it as you said.

I think the mixed metal's shapes don't work, like your silvery set might, but hard to tell without seeing it close up!

Another thing - are the beams steel? that tends toward modern/ industrial...

• everdebz
    2 anni fa

It seems important which was painted first - walls Ultra Pure White, but when was fp painted? which you loved at first.

You should save photos in your ideabooks that have similarities to your room. Yes, it's a 'big look' to have that much black, a bit unusual. I post to offer options because you did love it. It's possible you are stuck, and haven't kept the ball rolling.

• arcy_gw
    2 anni fa

The bolder the choice the faster one tires of it. That's proving true in your world. The damage is done..once painted always painted. I would never have painted it to begin with. Chasing a fix will unending. That said, it goes really well with the beams, that you also painted the natural out of. The room is soo light filled I think it's working for you. It is a very on trend room. I would embrace it while it's still is!

• Rachel Lee
    2 anni fa

I agree- art instead of mirrors, warm textured baskets on the hearth, some greenery on the mantle, it’ll be great.

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Maureen, exactly what it feels like! The two side cabinets don't go all the way up though, there is stone above them so not sure how to paint them only as sidewalls.

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Melissa - this makes such a huge difference thank you!

• sans007
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Connie - thank you! I see what you mean and I never thought about end tables with lamps but I like it! I took those lamps from my previous house and they have been stuck there for 10 years! Time for a change. My last home was professionally decorated and all of that furniture was custom made - my designer actually had the pillows made to match the sofas lol. But that was a long time ago.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 anni fa

I like it! reminds me of Tamara days fireplace. you'll notice all the color she has on that wall.

You have the almost identical room set up and light. does hers look like a black hole? no, it doesn't.

It's stunning. You need accessories and color.

I'd switch out the rug to something w/a bit more contrast.

maybe a diff fan or light.

Try doing some colorful art on that blank wall you have.

copy what she did behind that one sofa on the wall.

Instead of the dark mantel, what if you did a thicker white oak one?

on the hearth, try some orchids or small green plants.

here's some art/color that you seriously need on that wall. and a few plants. the green against the black really pops. even if you dont' do the white oak mantel, please get something thicker.

See?

see if you can get a frame for you tv. or, one of those covers that let you display art over the top of it. that would be the perfect answer

(but you still need some major art on that blank wall)

maybe a wood coffee table. everything in the room (except the black) is muted and creamy. you need some contrast that goes w/the start black so that both spots work together. make sense?

the other one she did. a white mantel surround.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".