Houzz Logo Print
kitchenplease

Refresh glass block and bath look without changing plumbing

kitchenplease
2 anni fa

Hi all. I am fixing this up for a rental. I will have luxy plank on the floors and a new (Ikea Godmorgon in either white or oak).

I want to keep my costs down and was wondering if anyone had ideas for changing out the tile in the glass block. We will be cleaning and re-grouting as needed.

I'd love to move the toilet, but I think doing that would add a lot to the cost. I am going to rent this out and may do a bigger overhaul in a few years, so just looking for some lower cost ideas to make it cleaner and brighter.

Commenti (18)

• oreet
    2 anni fa

Don’t put down click plank flooring unless it’s waterproof vinyl. Unfortunately some tenant will not take care and spilled water will make the floor buckle and heave. I would get a company that specializes in cleaning tile floors and have them paint the grout with their special paint. I have done this in the past and the floor looked new. As for the glass bricks I would leave it unless you’re willing to rip everything out and start fresh.

kitchenplease ha ringraziato oreet
  • User
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

I like that glass brick, and details like that are back in style for modern homes. one thing I particularly love is how the edges are rounded. And I also love that the shower is doorless. The glass bricks allow more light into the room and you don't have to squeegee it every day!

I think the tile is quite neutral too. Start by bleaching all of the caulk and grout.* Once you put in new flooring and a new vanity in there, step back and take it all in. You might actually like the tile and glass brick. it just looks bad right now because everything else is so dated and dingy.

if you do all of that and you still hate the shower tile, you can get it professionally reglazed to plain white.

One final thought: consider replacing the louvered doors with wood or painting them a color that compliments the new vanity.

*don't put too much work into renewing the caulk and grout until you are sure you are keeping the tile. I'd hate for you to do all that work and then decide you want to have the tile reglazed!

^^ I realize this is a photo of a living room, but look how amazing glass bricks look with modern decor! ^^

kitchenplease ha ringraziato User
  • kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thanks so much @User. I'm glad this can be fixed. I like the glass block as well. It just looks very dingy. And I agree. The tile could look really nice once everything is cleaned up.

I'd love your suggestions on closet doors. Not a huge fan of the louvered onces, but the paint may do wonders for it.

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@oreet, this is the flooring I'm thinking. It will be in the whole house. It's floating, but not click and will be professionally installed. https://www.provenzafloors.com/waterprooflvp/detail?sku=PRO2622&color=Road%20Trip&collection=Moda%20Living.

I will definitely consider cleaning the tile - a lot and painting the grout for the inside of the shower.

• oreet
    2 anni fa

As long as it’s a waterproof vinyl floor it will do fine. FYI, I had a 1300 sf condo professionally washed and grout painted in Florida for approx. $1,000.

kitchenplease ha ringraziato oreet
  • User
    2 anni fa

Suggestions for louvered doors will depend on the other changes. What will the new vanity look like? (there are a few variations of ikea godmorgon, including different sinks, counters and faucets. which combos are you thinking of?) Also what color will the new LVP flooring be? Do you have product pics?

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@User, you are completely right about how everything looks. I actually got 2 used in good condition double vanity godmorgons because they were a good price. It has an upgraded plated nickel sink. One is white and one is light oak. I am not sure what I am going to do. I may paint the oak one if nothing looks right. My floor is provenza road trip. If the tile cleans up, I wouldn't be opposed to using it in the bathroom, but I do really like this floor and like the idea of a whole house look (it is a small, one level place).

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@Jeff Meeks, I would agree with you about the flooring, but this vinyl felt very different, which is why I decided to get it. I may feel differently later though and if the tile cleans up, I may keep that as well.

I agree that we really need to take a look at everything. I am going to do a very thorough inspection of things as I don't want to leave mold behind.

• PRO
    Penny Lane Home Builders, LLC
    2 anni fa

If you end up replacing the tile -- definitely keep the glass block -- consider a white 'long subway' in a stacked configuration and a fun shape on the floor in a color that pops.

• User
    2 anni fa

Hmmm, it's hard to recommend things based off your description. If your floors are going to be LVP "wood", I do think the white vanity will look better (rather than the oak one).

The nice thing is that the louvered doors can be changed last. Do the rest of the bathroom, take a step back, and then think about it. Maybe the doors could be painted navy or grey, or a fun pop of color, but it's hard to tell until the rest of the finishes are in.

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@Penny Lane Home Builders, LLC, so funny, I was thinking about a subway backsplash. I love the idea of a long, stacked lile.

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@seattle MCM. I was leaning towards white. I may also just paint the oak one white if that would look better. Yes, I was thinking Navy or a dark grey for the doors as well. I personally love pops of colors, but I think there's already a lot going on in there, lol.

• User
    2 anni fa

Are both double vanities are going in there? is this a huge bathroom?

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@User, that's actually a reflection in the mirror. The bath is about 60 sqare feet, so pretty small.

• beeboo22
    2 anni fa

Is the current vanity in bad shape functionally? If not, I’d just paint it.

• kitchenplease
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@beeboo22, the vanity works, but has cracked backsplash and hardware that is mismatched. i got 2 godmorgan vanities with everything included for $200. I can sell one so would just need to pay to set it up. thinking its worh the change and upgrade for another sink & more space for the narrow width :)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 anni fa

I'm rather liking the glass block shower.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".