Houzz Logo Print
webuser_406099191

Truss uplift phenomenon in a new build 2021

Amy J
2 anni fa

Hey everyone,

I'm experiencing what appears to be truss uplift and it was then confirmed with the builder as well. I live in Canada and it gets quite cold in Winter. I am surprised at the extent of the damage in my new house. We took possession in Sept 2021. We noticed the cracks along the ceilings and edge of walls just last month. Most of our corners also has cracks going the wall. We thought it was settling but now I know is truss uplift.. I am quite disappointed and afraid this is something I will experience every year. We were told that painters will come to fix it up in February even though the builder originally said they will come in March/April as I brought it up the fact that the cracks are getting wider and longer... How does one fix the gaps without using crown molding? And could this possibly mean the builder didn't do the preventative measures for truss uplift as I read on an article that newer homes don't usually experience this even though my builder said its completely normal. I have several new homeowners tell me that is definitely not normal and the damage is unacceptable (they did not build with my builder). Its all over my upstairs level. Corners, edges of almost every wall, cracks going down every corner of each room. I am disheartened.. Is there a permanent fix? Here are photos for reference. This is just a few out of the 50 photos I have...

Commenti (7)

• chispa
    2 anni fa

I would hire a structural engineer to come look and make a report with recommended ways to repair this. You might want to get a second opinion too. Once you have that information, submit it to your builder, in writing, telling him what repairs you expect him to do to fix the problem.

If you builder refuses, then get a lawyer involved.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 anni fa

I'd get a caulk gun before an attorney. Much better odds of winning and much less expensive.

• worthy
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

If you're in B.C., Alberta, Ontario or P.Q, your home should be covered for structural defects by mandatory provincial programmes. However, minor settling and truss uplift cracking is unlikely to be covered unless it is a sign of a structural defect.

In Ontario, cracks in excess of 4mm would, however, be required to be repaired. See below.

But Alberta's Construction Performance Guide appears to take a stricter stand:

However, it doesn't cost you to file for an inspection and claim.

Here's an excellent guide to avoiding and disguising truss uplift in new home builds.

One crackup definitely not covered!

(When I was an Ontario licensed builder, I did only stick framing--except for one where the client's architectural technologist speced trusses to save a buck.)

• PRO
    maecom technology
    2 anni fa

Latex caulk is a good way to fill these gaps. Spread a bead of caulk along the gap with a caulk gun. Smooth the caulk with your finger and let the caulk dry overnight.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 anni fa

We had many cracks like this when we built on 2018. Our builder and his team came in several times to correct it within the first Year of us living here and lots of it was settling I believe. Other than some unrelated issues with painting all the cracks stopped by one year mostly. We are in BC Canada and had no problems with getting this part fixed by builder. Other deficiencies were a headache big time. My big tip to you is to go through your new hoMe warranty and start a claim. If you don’t do this within the first year then it’s too late down the road and won’t be accepted

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Now when people ask you how you like your home you can tell them it is up-lifting.

• worthy
    2 anni fa

Just like a truss for inguinal hernias!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".