Houzz Logo Print
denise0824

floating shelf (or shelves) above a cabinet!

Denise
2 anni fa

I have a 36 and 3/4 inch wide cabinet and would like to hang one or two floating shelves above the cabinet. The cabinet is 36 inches tall. I found shelves at IKEA but they are 43 inches wide so if I hang the IKEA shelf centered over the cabinet, it will be wider by 3 inches on either side. Must a floating shelf be no wider than the piece it is hanging above? Would two shelves look ok above the cabinet? Thanks

Commenti (12)

• PRO
    Beth Hansen, @ Ethan Allen, Omaha NE
    2 anni fa

If you could share a picture of the wall that you want to hang the cabinet and shelves on, it could be easier to help with layout. Otherwise use the triangle rule: narrowest at top & wider at bottom. (ie the shelves hung below the cabinet).

• Denise
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Hi and thanks! the cabinet is a storage cabinet that sites on the floor…vs a standard kitchen cabinet. This will probably look crazy to you but attached is the picture. I have a picture hanging over the cabinet now but would like to have a shelf or two instead. Thanks!

• PRO
    2 anni fa

ok, yes this picture is VERY helpful to see. You have enough room to hang the 2 shelves above, just stagger them so they are not lined up. So hang first shelf about 22" above cabinet and 6" to the left of cabinet. Then hang the second shelf about 18" above that one and 6" to the right to cabinet. You can use Blue painter tape to tape it out first to get a feel for it before putting holes in the wall. Hope that helps!

• Denise
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thanks. What width should each shelf be? I am concerned 18” might be too much of a gap - a lot of what I read online is 10-12 inches in between. What color shelving do you suggest? The kitchen table is glass top with a black base. The chairs are taupe. The wall color is Dove Wing.

• Denise
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thanks Amy! Did you hang them over a piece of furniture by chance? How wide are they?

• PRO
    2 anni fa

Keep the shelves neutral since your accents will most likely be colorful. Black or white would be my first 2 choices. If you know what you want on the shelves you can measure to tallest object and plan accordingly. For example if you have a tall picture frame, make sure to allow enough space between shelves. Plus the shelves are dressing the whole wall space above the cabinet. so add larger objects on the top to fill wall space like art.

• Amy Lynn
    2 anni fa

Mine were 36". I had originally wanted to hang them over my desk, but I decided to go with some art instead. I hung them on the wall with no furniture below. Below is how they look 16" apart.

In all honesty, I tried doing longer shelves above the 40" desk that were 48", so 4" longer than the desk on each side. I really didn't like the imbalance of having shelves wider than the desk. But it may not bother you.

• Denise
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thanks, the shelves look nice!

• Denise
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Beth, if my walls are Dove Wing, would white look ok on the wall! The table base is black but I am concerned black shelves may be too heavy looking. If the cabinet is just under 37”, can you confirm the shelf should not be wider…I should stay with a 36 inch shelf? Btw, my kitchen cabinets are dark cherry. Thanks!

• PRO
    2 anni fa

Yes, white would be a better choice to blend with your wall color. It would be OK if you offset the shelves that are wider than the cabinet. Otherwise you could do 36" wide shelves and center them over the cabinet.

• Denise
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thanks!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".