Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

I find it amazing...

cpartist
2 anni fa

That when an OP doesn't like the responses to their house plan they delete themselves or in this case they deleted their post with the house and all the suggestions. Granted the suggestions were not what the OP wanted to hear, but hopefully she'll realize that the house needs lots of help.

Commenti (241)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

I will keep that information handy.

• dani_m08
    2 anni fa

@WestCoast Hopeful - thanks for your comment. Glad to know that I wasn’t being an overly sensitive OP.

I will never understand why people make posts like that. Trust me, if I had purchased marble tiles that were as nice as the ones in my photos at a big box store, I would have bragged about it!

• Discussioni simili

I need VERY URGENT help in finding a lawyer in London

Q

(1) commenti
    Secondo me per avere delle risposte deve girare la richiesta sulla pagina di houzz UK....
    ... mostra di più

Ristrutturazione appartamento 800 - Genova

Q

(46) commenti
    L'effetto WOW qui è assicurato!!! Bellissima ristrutturazione e bellissima casa! Adoro le case d'epoca: beati coloro che ci andranno ad abitare.... Saluti
    ... mostra di più

Zona living salotto - aiuto sui colori minimal ma accogliente,grazie:)

Q

(17) commenti
    il verde salvia è un colore che non domina ma scalda l'ambiente il poised taupe... è un pò pesante... a mio gusto opprimente se parliamo di un ambiente conviviale, dal divano e dal tavolo della tua foto direi un ambiente molto usato... lo trovo stanchevole e difficile da abbinare più di un verde... per di più non lega nè con i tuoi pavimenti nè con l'arredo che hai.... a meno tu non voglia rifare tutto.... opinione personale https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6039-poised-taupe#/6039/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0 tanto per dare un'idea... lo vedo più adatto ad ambienti molto grandi che necessitano di "contenimento" che ad un soggiorno "familiare"
    ... mostra di più

Come arredereste questo bagno...

Q

(2) commenti
    io resterei su toni tenui con grigio per un bagno che comunque deve durare nel tempo e non stancarti, i colori vivaci non hanno questo dono naturale normalmente... entrambi con top Grigio Bardiglio e possibilità di personalizzazione del colore del mobile bagno oppure questo altro genere anch'esso personalizzabile Se vuole, può visitare ns sito Bianchini & Capponi e troverà un mare di proposte, e nel caso decidesse invece per colori vivaci, può trovare anche quelli o comunque noi personalizziamo ogni mobile anche su base RAL Buona giornata!
    ... mostra di più
  • jmm1837
    2 anni fa

Dmac - if you're referring to the comment from Jeffrey Grenz on your thread, I think you may have misinterpreted his intent. Based on his latest post, he seems to have been commiserating, not criticising, since he is having the same issue with a supplier.

• dani_m08
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

@jmm1837 - While the beginning of his initial post may have appeared like he was simply commiserating, it seemed odd that he continued on by adding that his customer purchased the tiles (instead of him) from a big box store THAT CATERS TO DIY AND NONPROFESSIONALS. It seemed like he was trying to make a point about the quality of marble sold at that type of place (vs if he would have sourced them at a place that only sold to professionals).

Regardless, I decided to assume that he wasn’t inferring anything from that post when I responded. However, after I explained again how the tile wasn’t from a big box store + I hadn’t sourced the tile myself (my contractor did from a retailer that only sources to professionals) , he immediately posted again questioning if my tile was from F&D. At this point, it was difficult for me to try to come up with a reason for his post, other than to again make a point that this type of issues happen when the homeowner sources his/her own tile from a big box store.

There are tons of comments on Houzz where pros try to deter homeowenrs away from purchasing materials at a big box store - especially marble since it’s a natural stone. Pros have specifically brought up the fact that the marble is of a much lower quality - and is from China, not Italy. They’ve explained many times about the significant amount of extra boxes of marble that have to be purchased in order to cull 50-70% of the tiles. Between what I’d read on Houzz + my friend telling me how her mom had to go to several bog box stores when she purchased marble due to the low quality (and it wasn’t true Carrara), I decided to budget enough money so I could have my contractor source high quality Italian marble tile.

I always try to very careful about not jumping to conclusions - but after analyzing the two posts, the message appeared to be that I had created the issue by not engaging a professional + buying a cheap product. And I did neither of those two things.

FYI - my nature is to avoid conflict. That’s one of the reasons I decided not to be a litigator. While there will be some type of ”conflict” while negotiationg a document, it is not the same type of ”conflict” as in litigation matters. In my practice, my job is focused on getting the parties to agree on terms in a contract - while keeping in mind the end goal is a signed agreement. Litigators want to win for their clients. While they usually have to reach a settlement, they’d still rather have won. When we sign/close a big deal, both sides are in a great mood because there was ”give and take“/ compromise. We typically all go out for a closing dinner to celebrate the deal together. That doesn’t occur in litigation transactions. So, I would much rather not run into conflict while using Houzz. I use Houzz for fun -I don’t want it to be riddled with conflict = creating stress!

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

You need to take the "PRO" label with a grain of salt.

Most of the "pros" around here do little more than offer snarky, demeaning commentary for anyone who isn't building a fully custom home designed by a licensed architect.

I find it interesting that the most active "pros" here rarely (if ever) post their work on this board.

• jmm1837
    2 anni fa

Dmac - I can see where you could have drawn that message from his first two messages, but surely the third clarifies his intent? He is a pro and is having the same problem with his supplier. I am sure your stress levels are through the roof: please don't allow what appears to be a misunderstanding, for which he has apologised, to add to it.

I think this goes to show how easy it is to misinterpret the written word, and how careful we all need to be in choosing our wording in order to avoid inadvertently offending or hurting people. Some never get the message, of course, and some don't care, but the rest of us try to keep things civil. And this most definitely applies to pros and amateurs alike. Sweeping judgments based on limited info are a constant problem from both quarters.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    2 anni fa

I find it interesting that the most active "pros" here rarely (if ever) post their work on this board.

Most of the times I include images of my work as it relates to a post, someone tags it as SPAM, so...

• dani_m08
    2 anni fa

@jmm1837 - now I understand your posts on here! There’s a third post that he made sometime late yesterday. I stopped looking at the discussion thread yesterday afternoon - it seemed like everyone had chimed in to either (i) wait for the new tile and opening in tile setter’s schedule at end of September, or (ii) use regular wainscoting around the tub area instead of extending the shower tile into tub area by using it as a 42” tile surround.

The pro hadn’t responded for a couple days - I really didn’t expect for him to post late yesterday.

His third post has a very different tone than the first two. While that could be due to my post calling him out (I apologize to anyone who had to read through such a long post!) - I’m going to choose to assume that he was simply busy when he posted the first two times which made his posts seem snarky (perfect word @booty bums!) vs. he was making a snarky comment about me causing the issue because I’d been a cheapskate (by deciding to source my owm materials through a big box store).

• jmm1837
    2 anni fa

I just figured you had enough stress in your life and this shouldn't add to the weight you're carrying.

BTW, I'm in the "tile the shower now" school and leave the rest of the decisions to another day.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 anni fa

@booty bums, while some "pros" don't have much of a presence on Houzz, and you might conclude that they aren't legit, you can view the work of many of the legit pros on their Houzz pages.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 anni fa

"You need to take the "PRO" label with a grain of salt.

Most of the "pros" around here do little more than offer snarky, demeaning commentary for anyone who isn't building a fully custom home designed by a licensed architect.

I find it interesting that the most active "pros" here rarely (if ever) post their work on this board"

All you need is a click to see a Pros photos and work. No their idea books..their actual WORK.

Understand when you view it can be very difficult to go back and even get decent photos. Long distance projects even harder.! That said? There should be at least some representation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if completely blank, no projects, no photos? Welllll...........................: ).

All pros look at another' s work. Google images to drool over are in fact pro work, most often. The origins of Houzz were to provide a one stop for photos/Pro work that reduced periodical searching.

There's a few grains of truth to pair with that "salt"

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Hire me! Hire me! Hire me!

There, I did my share.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 anni fa

Last one’s my favourite

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Pit toilet, but it has a beautiful view of Lake Michigan.

• Mrs. S
    2 anni fa

Oh wow. I love those houses. Love that green roofed house.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 anni fa

Pit toilet, but it has a beautiful view of Lake Michigan.

Including more modest structures in a portfolio sure would help a few of us hire architects. :-D

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 anni fa

Unfortunate truth? People with modest budgets are fearful they can not AFFORD an arch......and could save a ton of money, mistakes, and get a far better result one on one.

So ........what you mostly see are hacked, and re hacked i\reincarnations of a spec home created by an arch and distorted beyond all recognition of the original.

Great work Mark ! 'other than that toilet : )

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

I know, they changed to fluted split-face block without telling me. Ruined the design. I specified split face block, but by the time I found out it was too late.

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

Hire me! Hire me! Hire me!

Those are nice snapshots.

How about sharing the floor plans and elevations for each of those projects?

The one and only time I've seen details of your work posted...

You claimed a house you designed for conventional framing could be changed to timber frame construction without any impact to the plan/design.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

For my client's privacy and intellectual property protection purposes, I will not post more detail about those projects.

I believe I stated constructing the house with timber frame construction would involve minor changes. Part of the house was originally conceived to be timber frame construction, but during the design process it was determined to build that part with conventional framing and an applied timber frame look. If timber frame construction was to be used for the entire house, minor changes to the plan could be made to accommodate it, but the exposure if the timber framing in that portion of the house would be mostly concealed making it not worth the expense.

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

To illustrate my earlier point, I wanted to share a few responses from the resident "Pro".

In another thread, I made an innocuous statement that taking a current plan designed for conventional framing and changing it to timber frame construction would certainly have an impact on various elements of the design/plan.

The "pro" claimed his plans would not have to be altered, there would be no need for re-considerations to the layout/design, and no impact on doors/windows/cabinetry/ductwork/electrical/ect.

When I questioned the "pro" on this, here were his responses...

- I'm not sure if you are smart enough to know that whatever arrises in my project…

- If you have a valid concern regarding the Stockley project, then you should pay me to address your concern.

- Now I realize you are an ignorant simple minded troll. Your inflammatory posts serve no purpose other than to expose you for what you are. They are full of fiction and lies.

- What makes you an expert to be so antagonistic and over reactionary?

So the "pros" can offer condescending, rude, snarky critiques of every new member's plans.

Yet the ONE TIME someone questions their authority on a matter, they are labeled an "ignorant simple minded troll".

• chispa
    2 anni fa

The photo of the yellow house with the pointy-Madonna-bra-roof over the garage would get skewered if it was posted by anyone else as their proposed elevation.

Am I wrong in thinking that?

• Nancy K
    2 anni fa

In a discussion concerning top mount vs. undermount sinks, someone told me my drop in apron front sink was ”f’ing ugly”. They were not a pro. This person later edited their comment but the original comment had come through in my email. The OP was concerned about chips in the counter around an undermount sink which is why I have a drop in now. There was no need to get ”ugly”…just stick to the pros and cons. Asthetic opinions are okay if phrased nicely.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Booty - Do you have a hard time letting things go? You're proving me right.

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

Booty - Do you have a hard time letting things go? You're proving me right.

Proving you right about what?

I'm just providing a relevant example of how a "pro" reacts on this board when they aren't the one dishing out critiques.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Crispa - Why would you get "skewered"? The double gables over the garage doors were designed and constructed to handle the amount of water that would funnel between the gables. It is an unheated garage with minimum 15 inch overhangs. Every precaution was taken in the design to make it waterproof. If by chance there was a problem, it would most likely occur outside of the footprint of the garage at the eave line.

• Nidnay
    2 anni fa

@chispa….absolutely no doubt…it definetly would…mainly for the aesthetics (as well as some of the other examples).

• bry911
    2 anni fa

@JAN MOYER noted: "Unfortunate truth? People with modest budgets are fearful they can not AFFORD an arch......and could save a ton of money, mistakes, and get a far better result one on one."

The unfortunate truth is that people with modest budgets actually can't afford an architect. They really can't save a ton of money or mistakes with one.

The problem with hiring an architect is the way houses are financed and valued. Houses shouldn't be considered commodities, yet in many ways we can look at the housing market as a commodity market. A 2,800 ft², 4 bedroom 3 bath home, with high-end finishes in X neighborhood is going to appraise (and likely sell for) the same as any other 2,800 ft², 4 bedroom 3 bath home, with high-end finishes in X neighborhood. Good design creates value in ways that often do not directly correlate to increased asset value.

An architect may create value by getting more out of less, so maybe you could do better with 2,200 ft² that was well designed. Or maybe if you really love your well designed house you will not be wishing you could move in 5 years, or avoid a $40,000 kitchen remodel because you believe that you might love your house again if only your kitchen were more appealing, or maybe you can just enjoy being in your home more and not have spend hundreds of dollars staging weekly jail breaks to get out of it.

I believe that architects do create value in many ways, but there are too few people who value well designed homes for that value to translate into financial viability for too many people. You can argue that one reason houses have gotten so much bigger is that we attempt to fix bad design by throwing more square footage at it. It doesn't fix the problem, but it also doesn't have a lot of the financial risk that better design does and therefore banks find it more acceptable.

Let's actually look at a real world example. Suppose I have $100,000 saved to build a home that will cost $400,000, let's also assume the house will appraise for cost to build (something that rarely really happens). If I hire an architect who charges me $40,000 but finds creative ways to build a more enjoyable home for $360,000. So I am spending the same net amount for more enjoyment (a.k.a. a better value), but I now can't afford the house because I only have $60,000 left and the bank is going to require $72,000.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

I have to raise my rates.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Bry - How do you factor into that when the home owner goes to sell and can't for the price they want because the house is poorly designed? Or extra effort is needed to live in the house because of inefficiencies in the design?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 anni fa

I definitely HAVE TO RAISE MINE. . You can't believe what is going on here this morning. Honestly..... even I can't believe it. I'd cry at the absolute entitlement of folks, the rude as we're not face to face - as I bend over upside down, sideways and backward to accommodate.......

There were times when this was not so. Trust me..there were.

I did not manufacture the Pandemic.......npr the lingering results of all that can be delayed, is delayed. Is one pm too early to have a glass? Let me ponder this. I think FINE

• bry911
    2 anni fa

Bry - How do you factor into that when the home owner goes to sell and can't for the price they want because the house is poorly designed?

This really doesn't happen though, which is the crux of the problem. Whether well-designed houses are so rare that the market doesn't price it in or consumers are indifferent to it, largely doesn't matter. A modest well designed house sitting right next to a modest poorly designed house with similar appointments and size will sell for the same price on average.

Here is an easy way to test this theory, find a house with a nice wall of windows facing south, then find the exact same floor plan in the exact same neighborhood with a nice wall of windows facing west and compare the price difference. If the market prices in design these two houses should sell for different amounts. This is the least subject testament to pricing in design there is, houses oriented with windows and public areas facing south are objectively better... Yet you will see no premium for it. This is unfortunate, but it is reality.

Or extra effort is needed to live in the house because of inefficiencies in the design?

You are actually just parroting what I said. This was my entire point that houses which are poorly designed actually cost more to live in, but, because of the nature of financing and debt to income ratios and down payment requirements, can't be purchased by many modest buyers. It doesn't matter how much money you would save over the lifetime of owning a custom architect designed home if you can't afford to buy it in the first place.

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

Mark, you are overestimating the value a custom designed home provides to the vast majority of consumers. Most people don't care about architectural style, design details, an efficiently designed house, ect.

People's needs are not that involved/complicated. Most just want a reasonable place to live and raise their families that is within their budgets. They don't care about the minutia that is regularly hashed out on this forum.

For 95% of the population, stock plans from the internet or production builders are perfectly acceptable...and most importantly, these types of houses are affordable and within their budgets.

• bry911
    2 anni fa

@Mark Bischak, Architect - Well my architect charged a significant amount more than 10% of the expected project cost. I believe the national average is between 8% and 12% of construction costs, so my 11% doesn't seem so ridiculous.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 anni fa

I think if you want a custom home you need an architect or designer. If the lot is complex, the city rules or building requirements or you have unique and specific needs. This can’t come out of a canned plan.

But I agree many people don’t want or need this. They have bought a relatively flat lot in a development and can go with what is offered and love it. Or they own a large lot and can choose where the house goes etc.

We did build a custom home and our lot was complex and frustrating and we had lots of push back with our city. If we didn’t have a team with us working through it we would have made many mistakes. I also learned a ton from this site that I had previously not even considered. From simple things like drawers in a kitchen and aisle size in a kitchen to flooring choices and colour ideas as well as landscaping. I’m glad we hired help, it wasn’t an architect though and I don’t regret that.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

Bry - So why do so many people ask for reviews of their house they want to build? is it for financial gain? Are they cheap and want the benefit of an architect without paying for it? Are they that poor of financial planners that they forget to budget for an architect? Are the so use to poorly designed houses that they find it acceptable? Do they not understand that small details can make big differences? Do they not know there is something better out there?

How can the "significant amount" of 1% not "seem so ridiculous"?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 anni fa

This is a free forum. It is not for paid advice. People post to crowd source ideas. Not to be told to look elsewhere. It’s like any forum.

• K B
    2 anni fa

When people are looking at purchasing a home, the vast majority will focus on how big it is/how many rooms and the finishes of the spaces. They usually focus very little on the architecture, way the house faces, flow, etc unless it is horribly egregious. It's why flips are so successful and staging has been adopted by so many real estate agents. Having trendy finishes and well placed furniture can distract many a buyer from the inadequacies of how people really will live in a home. Then, people move in and are dissatisfied and come here for ideas because their real lives don't fit into the fiction/pretty curated pictures of a staged house/real estate listing. Of course, if one wants to by cynical, that dissatisfaction is great. It fuels people moving, remodeling, new furniture, new fixtures, etc. All trying to capture the feel of a curated inspiration picture, but real life doesn't look like those pictures. We don't view things from those angles, that kind of focus, etc. And some would say that this is deliberately done to increase people's use of those services and have them purchase more things. Because they should value aesthetics so much more than utility or efficiency or heaven forbid, economics.

To be clear, I am not saying that form should never be valued alongside function. Just that sometimes one has to be a lower priority and many people are judged when they choose function.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 anni fa

" They don't care about the minutae........"

I have improved in remodel, countless "fine as they are....." plans. To more function, more beauty than a builder thought possible. From modest to large. In context with a client and their need at that time, or in the future. There are countless of thoughtless plans, easily remedied, quite often. Just as often? Deadly mistakes - many a total pain to live with _ also bypassed for far more ease in living.

Those not afraid of options? They post here. Or they post and want confirmation. Call it as you will. Rare is the plan that CAN'T be improved.

Even decor minutae and it is often just that.... and help me dear lord almighty!!! IF YOU BELIEVE THIS IS THE ONLY THREAD THAT EVER MORPHED BEYOND THE BEYOND??? Ya haven't been here long : )

10,000 and counting comments of.....minutae.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5576467/i-need-help-in-finishing-my-kitchen-please#27043387

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

The overwhelming majority of new home builds are people wanting to make inexpensive tweaks to existing production/internet plans.

So yes, most people are focused on cost (you call them "cheap") and aren't able/willing to spend tens of thousands for an architect.

For the same reason most people don't hire tailors/shoemakers to design and make custom clothing. And why most buy white Toyota Camry's instead of ordering a custom paint-to-sample Porsche.

• worthy
    2 anni fa

my architect charged a significant amount more than 10% of the expected project cost

Our latest architect fees are projected at 2% or less. (The builder, moi, who never adds any value anyway, is working for free.)

Of course, I could have drawn it myself and saved a bundle.

• booty bums
    2 anni fa

Deadly mistakes - many a total pain to live with _ also bypassed for far more ease in living.

This proves my point that many of the "pros" here have an inflated sense of the value they provide. You are NOT dealing with "deadly" mistakes.

Architects and designers are not brain surgeons, firefighters, military personnel, ect.

Any "deadly" issues involving a house would be taken care of by structural engineers, radon mitigation professionals, licensed electricians, ect.

• bry911
    2 anni fa

@Mark Bischak, Architect - Bry - So why do so many people ask for reviews of their house they want to build?

BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A HOME BUILDING FORUM! This is like walking into a hospital and wondering why everyone there is sick...

is it for financial gain? Are they cheap and want the benefit of an architect without paying for it? Are they that poor of financial planners that they forget to budget for an architect? Are the so use to poorly designed houses that they find it acceptable? Do they not understand that small details can make big differences? Do they not know there is something better out there?

How can the "significant amount" of 1% not "seem so ridiculous"?

I don't understand your point here. You seem to be agreeing with me in a disagreeable way.

I started off by saying that I believe architects provide value. So why are you trying to convince me that there are people out there like me? I know that, I am one of them. Do you want to explain that there are other people out there who wear boxer briefs also? However, I am not the MARKET, I don't get to go to my bank and say, "I know this house only appraises for $500,000...but good design! Now give me more money."

So the fact that the people here see value in designing a home doesn't mean that everyone, or even most, can afford to pay for a well designed home, because the market as a whole doesn't see that value. I am just barely old enough to remember the Betamax vs. VHS war. Everyone would always tell you that Betamax was the best format and you should buy a Betamax, actually Betamax was objectively better... and useless if you wanted to rent a movie.

• cd7733
    2 anni fa

Two years ago in the Houston area: Architect average started around $7 per sqft to create with $15 being their normal create and babysit site. A fancy house designer (aka fancy engineer draftsman team) was $3.50 per sqft to create and more to site visit. We went with me creating and a small town engineer draftsman team for 50¢ per sqft and put that money to an oversized garage and finished bonus room (but the team would've charged the same had they been creating from scratch).

2800 sqft home ≈

Architect $20,000 - $40,000+

Fancy house designer $10,000

Engineer Draftsman team $2,000

• Lyndee Lee
    2 anni fa

How could one calculate injuries and deaths avoided with good design? We can not determine the value of good design but many people have had bad experiences with poor design. A significant portion of the 35 million annual injury related ER visits occur in residential property. Even if only a tiny fraction could have been avoided with better design, that is still a good sized number. Some building collapses are design related, not just poor maintenance or improper construction. Just because there isn't a directly visible link between architecture and life safety doesn't mean the link doesn't exist.

I lived in an architect designed house for many years. There is no one feature that made that house special but the final result was a fantastic house. That house is nearing 100 years old and none of the owners have ever felt the need to make more than minor decorating changes. I can't say the house sold for more money than others based on the design but it was sold quickly in a slower market. Just like any profession, the best architects are worth their weight in gold and the worst will make mistakes requiring that much gold to fix.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 anni fa

True above . As with a doctor....someone was at the bottom of the class : I don't think Mark was at the bottom : )

I haven't fixed ANY of his stuff lol.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

What price per square foot, or percentage of construction cost, or hourly rate should someone pay to have an architect design a home?

"BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A HOME BUILDING FORUM!"

Do you really think I didn't know that? Lets keep the snarky comments to the pros.

"This is like walking into a hospital and wondering why everyone there is sick..."

Everyone in a hospital is not sick. I worked in a hospital for eight years, and if I dug into my records I could tell the average number of patients compared to the doctors, nurses, staff, and visitors.

There seems to be a lot of inflated prices for architectural services quoted here in these threads , which only tells me a lot of people need to do more shopping around.

• bry911
    2 anni fa

Just to be clear, just because something is valuable doesn't mean it's affordable. Even if we start with the premise that architects are among the best things you can spend money on, that doesn't create the ability for people to spend money on them.

There is probably nothing in modern America where average consumers are more limited by the market than housing, and ignoring that while advocating for better design is folly.

@Lyndee Lee - You obviously see value in architects, as I do, but note that you used to live in an architect designed home. Why don't you now? I am guessing that there are some completely reasonable conditions that prevented you from it, even though you value it.

• bry911
    2 anni fa

"There seems to be a lot of inflated prices for architectural services quoted here in these threads , which only tells me a lot of people ned to do more shopping around."

Part of a hypothetical is that you have to accept the premise, the price of the architect was not a quote, but if it helps you, please let me change the hypothetical for you...

Suppose I have $100,000 saved to build a home that will cost $500,000, let's also assume the house will appraise for cost to build (something that rarely really happens). If I hire an architect who charges me $10,000 but finds creative ways to build a more enjoyable home for $490,000. So I am spending the same net amount for more enjoyment (a.k.a. a better value), but I now can't afford the house because I only have $90,000 left and the bank is going to require $98,000.

The problem has not a single thing to do with the cost of the architect it has to do with commodity driven appraisals.

As for inflated prices, Virgil recommended my architect and I can assure you, I was way low balling the price I paid.

ETA: To be fair, the problem with the cost of an architect is really a combination of commodity driven appraisals and levered buying. While a house may cost a significant amount, most people only have a percentage of that amount, typically 20% to 40%. As architects add value on the back end and not the front end, a $20,000 architect fee removes between $50,000 and $100,000 of build budget.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 anni fa

"There seems to be a lot of inflated prices for architectural services quoted here in these threads, which only tells me a lot of people need to do more shopping around."

I used the word "quote" to mean "to write a passage from another", not "to state the price for a service".

Bry - I somehow think our communications are not being properly conveyed to one another.

I do somewhat agree with, "Just to be clear, just because something is valuable doesn't mean it's affordable. Even if we start with the premise that architects are among the best things you can spend money on, that doesn't create the ability for people to spend money on them." What if a roof is looked at the same way? Roofs are among the best things you can spend money on for a house, that doesn't create the ability for people to spend money on them. Metaphorically, if someone can not afford a roof, it may not make sense to build the house.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".