Houzz Logo Print
webuser_334590266

Where is the best place to put the microwave

We're remodeling. Right now the microwave is over the range and I know I want to move it, but I'm not sure where. Where is yours and why do you like it? Built into uppers, lowers or on the counter?

Commenti (14)

• Shannon_WI
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

Mine is on a shelf in my pantry at about waist height. We are not frequent MW users, and this is perfect for us. If I did not have a pantry, I'd likely put it on a shelf in the upper cabinetry, with no trim. That way, if it breaks, I can just unplug and put it another one. The only issue with that is that many MWs are too deep to fit on an upper cabinet shelf. You can find shallower ones, but they will be small.

Also, Sharp makes a model R-1214 that hangs from the upper cabinets called an "over the counter microwave" (not "over the range microwave").

Utente-334590266 ha ringraziato Shannon_WI
  • nycbluedevil_gw
    2 anni fa

I have an undercounter speed oven to avoid having to find a place for a microwave. People sometimes install microwave drawers to solve the problem of where to put the microwave. But microwave drawers have their own issues, take up space that would otherwise be used for drawers-cabinets and are one-trick ponies. The speed ovenprovides an additional legitimate oven.

Utente-334590266 ha ringraziato nycbluedevil_gw
  • Utente-334590266
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@nycbluedevil_gw

Tell me more about this speed oven. Can it do everything a microwave does? How do reheat times compare? We mainly use the microwave for rice or veggie bags for quick dinner sides or for leftovers.

@darbuka I like the idea of a shelf without trim. Do you find you have enough counter space in front? Also, is that you fridge right next to it?

• nycbluedevil_gw
    2 anni fa

I can only speak from experience about the Miele speed oven. Yes, it is a full-fledged microwave. It has no turntable, which I view as a positive.

GE makes the Advantium, which I believe comes in two versions. The one that you can install undercounter is less highly-powered (120 vs 240 volts), but I think the difference mainly affects its ability to function as a fully-powered oven. This information comes only from what I have read on this forum and not from personal experience.

I think that Bosch and maybe Wolf make speed ovens too.

i have the Miele in my NYC apartment, where it functions both as my microwave and as the conventional oven that I use 90% of the time, since my other oven is located in my 36” gas range and takes a long time to heat up. The fact that the speed oven heats so quickly and fits a 9 x 13 pan means that it is hugely convenient and versatile.

I am currently in the process of redoing the kitchen in my country house. Our microwave here is in the pantry but I would like to make it more conveniently located. I will have two ovens (conventional and combi-steam). Nevertheless, I am getting another Miele speed oven, to be installed in the island, for the reasons I originally referred to. No need to find a place for it and it serves multiple purposes. I suspect that I will use the speed oven and the combi-steam for most applications.

• darbuka
    2 anni fa

Yeah, we originally ordered the trim kit, but decided we preferred it without the SS surround. Plenty of counter space in front of the toaster oven, to put a plate or bowl in front of it. Yes, that’s our fridge to the left…42” FD SZ.

When building a shelf for the MW, make sure there’s enough space between the surround and the MW, to let heat escape. You don’t need much, as you can see from the pic.

Utente-334590266 ha ringraziato darbuka
  • Amanda Breasbois-Schulz
    2 anni fa

I'm looking at a low profile one to mount under a regular size upper cabinet. I hate microwaves. The people of houzz basically told me the OTR microwaves are trailerlark trash so I took ours down and put up a hood and now I don't know where to put the stupid thing because I don't want to sacrifice countertop or cabinet space.

Utente-334590266 ha ringraziato Amanda Breasbois-Schulz
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

My MW is in the same location as darbuka's, but the box sits on the counter. It's behind a metal-lined cabinet door which folds down and acts as landing space. I like that the MW is not visible in my vintage-style kitchen, and if I need extra landing space for the nearby oven, I use the cabinet door for other hot items.

ETA, I've never heard of an OTR MW being referred to in that way. Maybe useless as a vent, non-ergonomic, and dangerous to reach above burners in use.

Utente-334590266 ha ringraziato mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Shannon_WI
    2 anni fa

"The people of houzz basically told me the OTR microwaves are trailerlark trash"

That is ridiculous. While I am not a fan of OTR microwaves, they can be the only solution for a small kitchen. @Amanda Breasbois-Schulz - really, you were told they are trailerpark trash? If you truly had no other place to put your MW, you should have thought of that before removing your OTR MW.

• darbuka
    2 anni fa

@Amanda Breasbois-Schulz…I’ve been on these boards for 30 years (pre Houzz, pre Garden Web), and have never seen OTR MWs referred to as you said.

People are always encouraged to put the MW elsewhere, and install an effective vent hood…for health and safety reasons. But, sometimes, there’s no choice because the kitchen is too small. I was in that position for thirty years, in my former home.

I’ve never heard anyone speak so derisively about MWs. If you “hate“ them so much, why have one at all? And, as @Shannon_WI asked, why did you remove your OTR MV, if there’s no other place for it? Did you really feel that pressured by the anonymous people who post here?

• Utente-334590266
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

@ mama goose_gw zn6OH I like the idea of it not being visible. Do you have a photo of the door? I'm planning on having custom cabinets done to match some existing cabinets, so it'd be nice to have a reference. Were your cabinets custom? A metal lined door sounds like a specialty item.

• vinmarks
    2 anni fa

Ours is on a shelf to the left of the fridge. Picture is old. We now have a Keurig on counter below.

• Becky H
    2 anni fa

We are remodeling too! These are the 2 options I’m trying to decide an upper cab next to vent hood or in the island.

I’m leaning more to putting it in the island to have a cleaner look on the range wall.

• Jan Bauer
    11 mesi fa

I prefer the look of the microwave in the kitchen island and keep the upper cabinets the same on either side of the stove.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".