Houzz Logo Print
webuser_452725573

12' by 40' stone wall is it safe?

Joe Belitsky
3 anni fa

There is a 40' wide 12' tall stone (quarry?) wall at the back edge of my property. On the top of the wall and heading back 120' is the backyard of the people behind me (they can stand on the edge of the wall and see my property below. The wall has been there since the late 50's. When it was built, they used a small pulley crane, and the rocks were perfectly cut to match and laid on top of each other (straight up and down). Therefore they were not binded together (no need because it was solid).

The wall is now covered in ivy with a couple small trees growing out of it. I'm nervous about it's structure. Should I be? (I have no idea about these types of things). Whom or What type of professional contractor can I have to come out and inspect it for safety? It's probably safe, but this year I will be working at the base of it to remove all kinds of under brush and weeds on about a 5' strip of land (that sits behind a fence). I'm nervous about some sort of rock slide, or pulling one of the trees out. It's not bowing excessively, but it has shifted over the years just a tiny bit. How can I remove those trees safely from the crevices? Do you think it's safe to work underneath to clear the brush? (to whom can I ask?). Is it still a solid structure?

-Joe

Commenti (3)

• Seabornman
    3 anni fa

How about a picture?

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    3 anni fa

Where do you live? That would say a lot about what sort of stone and soils you have, and also how easy it'll be to find a pro that really understands a big stone gravity wall.

• PRO
    Land & Water Design
    3 anni fa

As a registered landscape architect, I’d suggest investing in licensed structural engineer who can assess the wall’s structural integrity. Does the wall have a batter, which is a determined recessed angle that continues to the top of the wall with the final appearance, the wall appears to be leaning into the slope. The structural engineer would be the best professional call.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".