Houzz Logo Print
rubberduckie

getting natural light into a single storey extension

rubberduckie
3 anni fa

I’m planning to build a single storey rear extension for my terrace and would like to get more natural light in. I am trying to avoid using skylights (have heard too many horror stories of leaks) and solar tunnels (no expertise in tunnel installation in my area).
I am thinking of doing a ‘stepped’ metal roof design which allows placement of a row of letterbox windows. This hopefully will allow more light to spill in.
The length of my extension will be around 7 meters wall to wall.

Comments please.

Commenti (3)

• PRO
    Designed Design Associates (DDA)
    3 anni fa

hey there, is it a good alternative. If the site condition permits, i would suggest to have a higher/ taller opening to ensure a good source of light into the space. The amount of light source you will get also depends on the orientation of the house. i.e. if its a East & West direction, you will be able to get optimum light source streaming into the room at certain time of the day. However, if its a North South facing, then it will likely be a " light-split". hope this is useful.

• rubberduckie
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Thanks for the advice!
    I just realized these are called clerestory windows, my bad. My place is N-S facing but I’m located at the equator. What’s a ‘light-split’?

• PRO
    Designed Design Associates (DDA)
    3 anni fa

my bad, meant to say " Light - Slit", like a strip of light/ a glow. Being E-W facing, you have a better chance of catching the light steaming further into the room during sunrise and sunset.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".