Houzz Logo Print
ashley_lauren36

Asbestos in soapstone countertops?

Alaur87
3 anni fa

Husband and I were all set on getting a soapstone countertop until I read about asbestos in sculptural soapstone being a concern for stone workers. I realize that sculptural soapstone is a different entity than the countertop material due to talc content, but can someone educate me on if asbestos is a concern for countertops as well? I contacted M. Teixara regarding this but they said they had to forward the question onto their boss as they were unsure. (PS they do sell “certified asbestos free” soapstone for sculpture so said they were aware of this issue but unsure of countertop material). I loved the manipulability of soapstone (scratching out dings and dents etc.), but not if it means I could potentially be spreading asbestos when doing it or every time a scratch or chip happens.

Commenti (12)

• Alaur87
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

So asbestos in soapstone countertops is a known myth? I never heard of it until it came to it being a serious concern for sculptors using soapstone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 anni fa

It's not ingesting asbestos that's the problem, but breathing it in. Unless you plan on grinding your counters and breathing in the dust, it shouldn't be a problem. Any asbestos that is not in a position to be air-borne is not a problem.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 anni fa

Maybe if you were fabricating soapstone all day you might be aware enough to wear a proper mask but in your home no issue.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

You can also search this forum for questions about radiation from granite tops.

I've read that asbestos fibers were used in production of the epoxy resin, soapstone lookalike tops used in labs a few decades ago. IIRC there's no danger unless one cuts into the tops, and I don't remember how much of a risk was assessed.

• catinthehat
    3 anni fa

Soapstone counters are the best! Three years running and not one ding or scratch =)

• Alaur87
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Catinthehat your countertops are beautiful!

• catinthehat
    3 anni fa

Thank you! Yours will be too, get a nice naturally dark soapstone and you’ll never look back. The internet can be an information “overload” at times, don’t worry about asbestos, the dark counters do not have anywhere near the talc content and are quite durable to boot.

• dani_m08
    3 anni fa

@catinthehat - do you remember the type of soapstone you have? I’ve just started my soapstone “quest” and and would love any tips in order to narrow things down. Thanks!

• darbuka
    3 anni fa

Real soapstone is composed of silica and talc. Not asbestos. That being said, inhaling the DUST from ANY stone, can be detrimental to the lungs. Unless you plan on grinding the stone yourself, you’ve nothing to be concerned about. And even then, just wear a mask.

My soapstone counters were installed five years ago, by M. Teixeira. The entire process...selection, fabrication and installation was as perfect an experience one could hope for. After installation, the workers left my kitchen spotless.

Here are my counters, Belvedere, one of the hardest varieties. We love our soapstone!

P. S. We haven’t oiled the counters in 4 years.

• PRO
    CoolAir Inc.
    2 anni fa

Very nice counter tops. But you will not e in the least risk of asbestos inhalation like this do not worry. Asbestos fibers only cause harm if dispersed or disturbed through drilling. and minor exposure do not cause any harm.

• karolmc
    2 anni fa

My friend took depositions on behalf of asbestos defendants. Au contraire, the tiniest amount of asbestos can lodge in one’s lungs and cause cancer years later. Contained asbestos is safe, but if grinding counters or splitting things like asbestos shingles, this requires special handling.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".