Houzz Logo Print
will_partridge

Architect + Builder vs Design & Build

Hello all,

I'm looking at doing a wraparound extension and a fair bit of internal remodelling to my flat. I've come up with a few layout options that I think work well but I'd be keen for a professional to assess my efforts and think about possible improvements/other alternatives. Just wondering If I'm better off hiring an architect and then a builder, or going down the Design & Build route? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Commenti (10)

• Daisy England
    3 anni fa

Perhaps your builder can recommend an architect. A decent builder will have used one before and know who they trust. Many architects are so expensive.

• PRO
    DMA ARCHITECTS
    3 anni fa

Get your Architect to do a detailed tender pack & get them to find you a good local builder, make them responsible for delivering the turnkey project. In my opinion, there is a lack of certain trades which will frustrate any design-build project& ultimately you end up becoming responsible for the finishes. Architects may be expensive but very few complain about the value they bring to a job.

• PRO
    APT Renovation Limited
    3 anni fa

Hi Will, APT Renovation here. We are a design and build company that can take care of all aspects of your extension, we have in house architects that could advise what will be the best for your layout but if you prefer you can get another Architect to do the designs and we can do the build.

All this is in the hopes you are in South London as this is our area of operation and if you are in this area we could offer you a no obligation, free consultation to advise what will be the best going forward.

If you would like to view some of our previous projects you can head to https://www.aptrenovation.co.uk/our-projects/ or call us on 0207 223 6417 to organise that free consultation.

Best regards,

APT Renovation Ltd

• Will Partridge
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hi all. Thanks for the replies, however I don't have a builder or an architect yet... so I can't ask one for recommendations on the other and vice versa. Hence why I'm trying to work out what the pro's and con's are of Architect + Builder vs `Design and Build.

• Sonia
    3 anni fa

Sorry what is Design and Build?

• Will Partridge
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hi Sonia, Design & Build is like a one-stop shop for the whole job. They would draw up the layout plans, apply for planning, and then undertake all elements of the build including groundwork, construction, plumbing, electrics, etc. Taking this route is like buying all your food from the supermarket, rather than going to the bakers, the butcher, the greengrocer etc.

In the supermarket simile, I would say the main advantage of supermarket shopping is that it is more convenient and saves time, however going to the butcher, baker etc would be better quality and more choice. Maybe it's the same with my query... maybe Design & Build is quicker and more convenient but architect and builder gives you more choice and better quality!??

• Sonia
    3 anni fa

Ah yes I see. When you have no recommendations it must be difficult. Are you on Facebook? There will be a page for your area/town and you can ask for recommendations. I’ve found a plumber, a handyman and an IT expert this way. All very reliable and don’t rip you off! Whatever route you go down make sure you read reviews (Trustpilot is good), so you can weed out the dodgy ones.

• Mallika Khanduri
    2 anni fa

Hi,

Wondering if you made a decision?

We’re in the same shoes.. wraparound + loft conversion + layout changes need to be done and wondering if we need to pay an architect or go straight to design & build.

At the moment, I’m definitely leaning on the architect route so there is a bit of an independent plan and advice on the designs, details, finishes, etc. Feel if everything is owned by one entity, they could change things, take shortcuts without our inexperienced eye noticing. Good to have to parties perhaps keeping each other in check?

• PRO
    VC Design Architectural Services
    l'anno scorso

Well, we’re in Oct now so hopefully you’re building, but just to say that I have been asked to take over failed Planning Applications made by Design and Build companies quite a few times here in SW London The last one the client had already spent over £4000 in fees! I’ve been doing this over 20years so Am more knowledgeable about what Richmond/Kingston/Wimbledon councils will accept, and cost less than that to Planning...

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".