Houzz Logo Print
nunosapunso

Need suggestions - make my living room lighter and cozy

nunosapunso
3 anni fa

Hi Houzzers,

Could you suggest on how to make my living room lighter and cozy? Please see below photos.

I have been reading and viewing a lot of designs here. I am leaning towards Scandinavian, minimalist, mid-century interior design. Minimalist because I prefer less clutter i.e. easy to maintain and clean. =)

The gray sofa and the plant will stay, so I am open for any suggestions to change the rug, hanging lamp, wall decor etc.

Also, my floor will be polished/varnished too, but I think the dark wood color will stay the same.

Thank you.

Commenti (61)

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

some different accent pillows to help with the cozy...

houzz comments · Maggiori informazioni

nunosapunso ha ringraziato Theresa Janssen
  • nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Thanks for your comments. Here's the view from the dining area. It is small. :)

Please note that the window at the back will be converted as a glass door to a small garden to get more natural lights. Also that door with green frame/casing is a door to the kitchen. It will be converted to a door with a see through glass. Thanks.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

thanks for the additional pics... it still looks like a smaller size accent chair could work placed in front of the floor lamp angled toward the TV. a round coffee table and definitely art on the walls.will help alot. I would measure out one size bigger in the rug to see how it would fit. you have a lot of wall space that is giving that stark feeling to the room. find some fun art to add to the walls. also, move the two plants from the floor to on top of the console table. I would consider even getting a taller plant to add height to the console table which is very low and horizontal.

Larchmont, NY · Maggiori informazioni

Black And White Interior Design · Maggiori informazioni

• Victoria Armour
    3 anni fa

Have you considered an accent wall on the wall where the couch is? Noting you like clean Scandinavian style, something like BM Hale Navy or Midnight Blue could look clean and add some interest/dimension to the space. Open shelving could also look great and keep that clean Scandinavian look while making the room feel warmer.

Some coffee table books could look nice to balance the tv console.

• Victoria Armour
    3 anni fa

Hale Navy accent wall

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Thanks for your comments!

Accent Wall: @Victoria Armour
    Actually, i wanted a similar color for accent wall! But i was undecided what shade of blue to use, so I keep it white for now 😄.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

@Theresa Janssen. Thank you for the ideas!

Accent Chair:
    I will definitely consider a small accent chair. I like style of the green one you showed but will choose a different color.

Rug:
    I’m still debating if I want to big rug, thinking about maintenance/cleaning. But I might consider a lower pile or weaved as suggested earlier.

Coffee Table:
    I’m getting the round one with oak wood legs. Thanks for the photo.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

thanks for the update, please keep us posted on progress. oh, you didnt mention art? what are your thoughts on art?

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

@suezbell, i agree with the curtain length 😀
    Thanks for pointing it out. I will have to cut it.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

I found the color palettes that I like. 🙂 I will play with this while inputting your suggestions. Thanks

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

@Theresa Janssen, are you from NL? Just curious. 😀
    Regarding wall art, I am still undecided whether a gallery art or one big piece of art, so I am open for any suggestions.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Also I would appreciate any suggestions for the hanglamp. 🙂 thanks

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

NL? sorry, not sure what NL is, so my guess is no... LOL

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

love the inspiration board you created...you are well on your way knowing the direction you want to take.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

you have two very long walls. so you will want to think about what you want for both. you may also consider some type of mural for one of the walls perhaps

• kazzh
    3 anni fa

A thought to consider, if you lift the plants to the tv console - to give some height in the TV wall maybe consider placing the lamp nx to the tv console and adding a taller table lamp nx to sofa. Or, if going for a accent chair going for another floor lamp with a smaller foot print than the tripod between the accent and sofa. Just a thought.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

some ideas for ceiling lights

• sprtphntc7a
    3 anni fa

do u travel? Kids? grandkids? how about one wall a photo wall? there are so many options and you will have your memories on the wall. you can always mix it up with generic pics as well. or you could add some shelving to add your knick-knacks, souvenirs, plants, candles etc to the pic wall. so half shelves/half pics?

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

sprtphntc7a, I live alone. But my mom will stay with me every 6 months.

Ah yes, i will also consider shelves and pics. Thanks

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

I am attracted to this type of hanging lamp. I’m not sure if it blends (cohesive?) with my choice of color pallettes and design?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

how is the decorating going?

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

@Theresa Janssen, NL short for Netherlands.
    Sorry I assumed you were in the Netherlands because your surname Janssen is pretty common over here. 😄

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

love that lighting, though pendant lighting with just one bulb wont give off a ton of light.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

US... LOL.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

a few different ones

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

I will replace that floor lamp with tripod legs with another one. Should it match / blend with the hanging lamp? Thanks.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

it does not have to match just coordinate with the entire room. the current one you have works with a dark or light rattan hanging light. why do you want to get rid of the current tripod? I think it works great.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

heres another one that i somehow missed in my last message. from ikea and is very reasonably priced

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hi. These two coffee tables are on sale. Which one do you think match with my living room?

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

This one as well

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

honestly both can work because the wood tone and the white are both in your tv console. I like the white because I like the shelf underneath and I like the nested table for flexi ility. which one is bigger? your sectional looks a bit longer than the one in the photo, so maybe go with the largest one, but maybe they are same size...

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

your inspo pick has a table with metal grid fencing for the base, not sure the correct words to describe it. is that metal base feature important to you? you could always add a side table with that feature. your INSPO pick may be more about the blue grey color pallette

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

way off subject, but what store are you at? just interested as you have different places to go in NL than the U.S so just curious. is it Maisons du monde? from your pics above

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hi Theresa Janssen, I was in the store called JYSK. It's a Danish store if I'm not mistaken.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Regarding the rug size, which size do you think would fit best with my sectional? I plan to add a small coffee table and side table. And maybe a small accent chair similar to what you suggested.

here's how it looks for (A) rug size 6.5 x 9.5 Feet (200 cm x 290 cm). it's about an inch from the wall.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

I actually like both sizes.

I'm just concerned about the bigger one. It may eat up almost the whole living room? But it looks better in person as the room seems bigger.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

(B) smaller rug. Size is 5.3 x 7.5 Feet (160 cm x 230 cm)

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

I like the bigger size. like you said, it makes the room look bigger.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Just an update. I changed my mind on the coffee table. I got this one instead as it looks really nice in person and most importantly i got it wirh huge discount.

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Can you suggest a floor lamp and wall art that would balance living room please?

And thanks for your suggestion on larger rug! It does make the room feel bigger. Especially in person.

• laurafhallen
    3 anni fa

https://www.saatchiart.com/

You can search by size, price, orientation, color, etc.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

love the coffee table and side table, they look great and substantial feeling.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

oh, glad you like the larger size ru g too. I will look for some floor lamps, what did you do with the one that was there, is it that you just want a change?

• nunosapunso
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

I moved the floor lamp (with tripod leg) to the dining area. It doesn't look good when it's next to the side table. :)

Also, as it is right now, I feel something is missing I don't know what.

Maybe the texture? Too much soft? :( I still like the Scandinavian look though.

Maybe it will change when I finally add the wall art and the floor lamp to make the living room cohesive/

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

not sure if you are open to this, but a faux sheep skin would look great layered over your rug, maybe situated partially under the chaise end of the sofa at an angle. something on the smaller side so it can fit on the current rug but not take up a ton of space... that would look great. the rug you have is a great one for layering

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

something like this

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

a couple more thoughts... a ceiling light fixture will help and bring some interest for sure. have you thought more about one? art absolutely will help and so will pillows. I also think you might want to consider new inserts for pillows if you can. and larger size pillows like 20inx20in, not sure how that translates in com, but large size pillows will help. consider the size of the insert one size up from the size of the cover so it fills out the pillow and makes if more fluffy. if you get feather down inserts i would consider that too. thought I would share a couple pics that show how just a few additional features will make a difference. I like the idea of a couple large pillows on the floor too. I would style the coffee table a bit too

Modern inredning med rustika inslag · Maggiori informazioni

Dolores St | Interior Design · Maggiori informazioni

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

some floor lamp ideas.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

art is a personal thing and so I would recommend finding something that you love. heres a few ideas that I think could work. I think one oversized piece above the sofa would look great. is there some type of art that you are drawn to? landscape, abstract, floral?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 anni fa

the more I look at your room, the more I think it needs some black accents, so I kinda think the black lamp and the black and white print idea would help bring some oomf to the room, meaning it would bring contrast, along with the sheepskin rug. I included a couple pillows as well. pillows.dont have to be black and white, but could look nice IMO.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".