Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

POLL: Is now the perfect time to plan your next renovation?

HouzzAU Polls
4 anni fa
Ultima modifica:4 anni fa

With most outdoor activities and gatherings temporarily banned to stop the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), many Australians may find they have more time to do things they couldn't do before. Houzz research indicates that the biggest motivation for starting a renovation is finally having the time to do it.

We want to know if now is the perfect time to plan your next home improvement project?

Vote now and tell us why in the comment section below!

Yes, it's the perfect time!
No, it's not a good time (tell us why below!)
Not sure

Commenti (20)

• oklouise
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

it's always a good time to make plans, take proper measurements and draw up floor plans, research products and and consider other options ... there's many HOUZZERS out here with extra time on their hands waiting to offer an opinion and thinking about other peoples' renovations can be a great stress relief so a great time to share

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 anni fa

Yes, definitely the best time to start thinking and doing research. There are about a million decisions to make with a renovation, and some of those decisions you don't even know about until you start researching! I regularly help many clients get over their analysis paralysis where they get so overwhelmed with choices they can't even make basic decisions. Or they agonise over the small stuff like the tile and grout pattern for their kitchen splashback before their kitchen has even been designed!

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• asorbak
    4 anni fa

no because we may go on lock down anytime which would put you back for weeks

• Kim Dring
    4 anni fa

Not for me. I am grateful to still have work, but I have been too busy with work to think about renovation plans.

Work is even more busy for me than usual, and have been dealing with getting set up to work from home on top of trying to manage busy work load. Husband has long worked from home and is also busy.

So great to not have to commute or worry so much about ironing work clothes, make up and getting dressed etc. But the spare time has been funneled back into work so far.

If we had any spare time in the day, we would need to allocate it to spending more time with the children and getting them out in the yard for some sunshine and exercise. After that, next priority would be tidying and de cluttering.

Although having to squeeze my work space into corner of bedroom, and work quickly coming up with a much more workable work from home IT solution has made me really want to work out whether we can put in a backyard studio addition or extension to fit in a property study/office.

• jmm1837
    4 anni fa

It's okay to plan, but I sure wouldn't want to commit to actually starting a reno anytime soon. Who knows when the economy will get back to anything approaching normality? Or what the housing market will do once we surface?

• Sarah
    4 anni fa

Definitey plan if you have the time! That's what I'm doing! As for carrying out the work, well that's a more diffcult decision and I suspect it rather depends on what you want to do, how many people will need to be in the house and can you keep the maintain social distancing! That said, apartment blocks I know of are not allowing noisy work (with the exception of emergency fixes) as it's very disruptive to working from home and other owners simply can't get away from the noise!

• PRO
    SKETCH3D Residential Design
    4 anni fa

You have time at home now, so if you're thinking about a future extension or renovation, start listing out what's working for you and what isn't. Also think about the existing house and what small things can be done to make big differences. Its all too easy to start chopping up a floor plan only to blow the budget for little gain.

• Clare Lyon
    4 anni fa

I am planning but am desperate to start, which I cannot do because of noise and disruptions to my "working from home" neighbors during the "stay at home" time. I live in an apartment. Cannot wait to start.

• Sarah
    4 anni fa

I'm in eactly the same boat. Very annoying, but then i know how loud other people renos have been and I don;t think my neighbours or I would cope with ot being able to escape the noise. I am not sure how effective the excuse to police of "I'm just out because it's too noisy at home" would be! Things will return to normal......and breathe!

• lyncrutchley
    4 anni fa

We were all set to start after waiting a few years..bought but not picked up the mirror...selected everything, the design, the fittings and all then...

wham ...it’s a no go for a while. It’s Ike ’treading water’ however the hard part is done (choosing!) now it’s a waiting game for as long as it takes!

Good lesson in patience...!!!

• PRO
    Motivo Design Studio
    4 anni fa

it is always a good idea to improve your home and there are many inexpensive ways to add value.

Do your research in your area - always make improvements that will INCREASE the value of your home

Take ideas from what’s sold in your area- which homes achieved the highest prices - in particular what features made the most impact and why...

The most impactful way to improve your home - befor you renovate..

De clutter de clutter de clutter .

if you can’t then add storage - storage is king.

Look at door hardware - is it outdated ?? change to a more modern look - black hardware adds a great contemporary look to doors, kitchen and bathroom cabinetry - if you have a contemporary home that is!

Bathroom mirrors - if your home is a standard 4 x 2 and holds a simple frameless mirror - then update it!!

if there is no window treatment in the bathroom

• add one - 64mm venetian come in contemporary colours including black.

best idea- use Houzz to find bathroom images of similar style and look to yours / then look for bathrooms that emulate the look your going for!

sometimes cleaning grout and changing a shower screen can make all the difference!

Kitchens - if your kitchen is functional and your cabinetry carcass is in good nic - change the doors with a local cabinet maker - if your carcass is good then don’t go over board!

Having renovated over 300 properties to sell I look for simple but effective solutions that will impact a sale...

Paint paint paint - best and cheapest solution by far!

TVs - if they are currently sitting on tv units - mount them to a wall- create as much floor space as you can - sell your tv unit to fund your new monitor arm.

a small floating cabinet or shelf underneath the tv should do the trick!

Look for effective storage solutions for everyday appliances or gadgets that you use - you’ll be surprised at how much “bigger” your home will be!

Use old bathroom mirrors and glue them to alfresco limestone walls behind your feature plants ( i’ve done this many a time is small complexes and large and they are always fantastic!

ART - large pieces of art - if you can’t afford a great piece then find some beautiful upholstery or fabric and staple to an old canvas or multiple canvases to creat one large art piece even multiple fabric choices

Recover old cushions - there are so many seamstresses out of work that i can get them done for under $10 per cushion ..

Good window treatments can make all the difference.

Pick your main areas to invest in the best window treatments and do the basics in the smaller rooms .. you can always update them later.

Look at the companies warranties - the longer the better is what you want! make them guarantee fabric and components and ask them which products look good and stand the test of time year after year.

Lighting - both mood and functional is so important - LED people ... will save you so much more money in the long run! If you can’t afford a lighting designer - go speak to the people at beacon or smaller lighting shops
    They will consult for you for free so ask them!

I aiways guarantee that every dollar i invest in a project must make me at lest 1 - 3 dollars in return.

Do that with every renovation idea make sure you’ll get your money back!

• librapammy
    4 anni fa

Planning now is ideal. Get your project book out, divide it into priorities, needs, and wish lists. Make sure you've got lots of blank pages for each project (a tabbed A4 project book is ideal).

Decide whether these projects are in order to sell your property or whether its to make your home more spacious and enjoyable. That will help you decide where to invest your money into those projects that will enhance your property. Sit down with your other half and share ideas e.g. what their own priorities are, potential costs and what can be DIY achieved or whether you'll need tradees (big projects will almost always require professional trades e.g. plumber, electrician, builder and the good ones are more than happy to provide certification).

Don't guess the cost side of things! One of the biggest mistakes folk make is stabbing in the dark and then, surprise surprise the price skyrockets! Remember there's a difference between estimates vs quotes.

Planning now, maintaining a project book and re-visiting ideas over the coming weeks to update your thoughts and priorities before you leap into action makes lockdown an ideal time because you're restrained from rushing out to buy materials only to then discover it won't work for what you had in mind!

• Richard Hale
    3 anni fa

as I am in the design industry, now is the best time to think, discuss and plan your next project!
    i am doing that myself on my own projects, having spent years doing it for my clients.
    we will be flat out again as soon as we are all working and moving again so get your ducks in a row, work out what you want as a family, whether it be extensions, a new build or landscaping completed and you will save time and money getting the project started.
    not having all the noise that life creates is the best time to realign your dreams and vision for your future.....next step is contact an architect or designer and we can push it to happen.
    no.1 .... always think about how you can add value to your existing property, leverage through funds is ok if your are increasing asset value.
    no. 2 .... it's always easier to add additional space to your home if you are renovating and living in the house. the value of your home is likely to go up as you have added sq.m and its easier than remodeling an existing space and it can happen around you while living in the existing.
    no.3 ... just because the kitchen is where it is doesn't mean you can't move it elsewhere if you're remodeling. a room is defined by what you furnish it with. getting the layout and flow correct for how you live is critical with existing homes. we live differently now than a few decades ago. ask a professional and sort out the flow of your house. it could be as easy as changing your furniture or putting in a slider door to a deck in the right place.

that's all for now.
    get the kids involved.
    enjoy and plan together
    Richard
    Insight architecture nz

• Gemma U
    3 anni fa

In the midst of COVID-19 is the best time to plan your next renovation! Most people are stuck at home with more time on their hands, and planning any renovation - especially in your own home - takes TIME, and lots of it. And everyone knows that a job well planned is a job half done ;D Take a look over at Three Birds Renovations - just over a month ago they posted a piece on their blog called 'How COVID-19 can help you plan your reno'. It's a great post.......and they're a great company! Highly recommend them and their Reno School......go take a look!

• Peter Hobbs
    3 anni fa

The pace of life seems to have slowed for many including us. More time to slowly think and plan and not rush. Getting the project right. And maybe our Reno will help a small business during the virus

• macyjean
    3 anni fa

I know it's not everyone, we've had good careful tradies, but how do I know in advance? Even getting quotes now is more complicated, and I know from experience that having an impressive senior person come to measure and quote does not necessarily translate into having a competent person come to do the work. It's bad enough when the quality of work is not as promised, and when you have to pick their lunch wrappers and cigarette butts out of your garden beds. Now there are additional concerns. As I said, it's not everyone and I'm sorry if I sound harsh, my dad was a tradie. But I don't feel like gambling with either my health or my money right now.

• PRO
    SKETCH3D Residential Design
    3 anni fa

Looking back at this thread, now couldn't be a better time to get moving on your proposed renovation with the aid of the government grant following on from the COVID 19 recovery stimulus.

• PRO
    User
    3 anni fa

2020 is certainly a unique year when it comes to achieving anything for home renovations.

HIA has forecasted the industry will slow over the coming 24 months so we're recommending our clients start the planning/design process. This will position them we to find good value builders who want the work - a win/win.

A key part of planning will be around costs. You can use this Home Renovation Calculator to help inform your thinking.

Good luck Richard@themakeovergroup

• lyndagoulden
    3 anni fa

Yes, now is the perfect time to begin renovations but be warned there are some things you need to be aware of.

You are hearing this from the horses mouth folks - been there, got the medal. Our renovations started the day that NZ came out of it's first lockdown back in April 2020 and we are still trying to complete the job.

The Tradies were keen and eager to work back then because of all the uncertainties around how long they were going to be able to get work. As time progressed, it became harder to keep hold of them however as more and more people recognised they had the time to renovate and so the Tradies became thin on the ground and progress slowed.

Supplies also dwindled and prices of goods rose.

Many goods coming in from overseas have been delayed through the lack of flights.

Who knew that all those cancelled passenger flights had also doubled as cargo planes and that passengers had helped to subsidize the cost of freighting goods around the world?

Similarly containers have been held up or in some cases diverted to different ports around the world as wharves became clogged through staff shortages or the inability to clear backlogged stock.

Who knew that people would go on an online spending binge to avoid close contact community transmission of Covid 19 and that this would have a backlash in getting essential building products.

Despite these issues, I still think that now is a good time to renovate - as long as you are prepared to roll up your own sleeves and put in your own hard yakka - [guided by your tradies of course] to get your projects over the line but don't be naïve and think it can be done in 6 weeks.

I estimate that when I can finally get some Tradies back that what was meant to be a 6 month project will be finished by April 2021 - making it 12 months.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers that I'm done by then. Good luck with your own decisions around to renovate or to not renovate.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".