Houzz Logo Print
neobule

Are dark kitchens going out of fashion?

neobule
4 anni fa

I’m not sure what colour to paint our kitchen. I’m drawn to the dark side but I wonder if it will date really quickly or make the room too dark?

I‘m happy to go for a light grey/stone but I’ve already spent a lot of money on sample pots and they all look the same.

which of the two would you go for? Decorator coming next week ana need to make a decision :S

any help much appreciated!

Commenti (32)

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Dark one

• E D
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

They both look good, the dark one works best with the brick I feel.

To get the best advice I think you need to show us the entire kitchen though.

• Ellie
    4 anni fa

Dark!

But yes, I do think a dark kitchen works best in a large light space

• Daisy England
    4 anni fa

Definitely dark but if you feel as though that’s too dark just opt for a dust grey as opposed to charcoal.

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Thanks for the help so far :)

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Daisy - any suggestions on which dust grey? The room is south facing. Thanks

• Juliet Docherty
    4 anni fa

The lighter it is, the more important it is to work with the worktop which looks cool and slightly blueish. Just keep that in mind. Working with the tiles and the worktop should be the most important thing, rather than the colour on it's own (if that makes sense). You have a light one and a dark one there, how about trying something in between?

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Thanks colourhappy. do you have any suggestions on what I could try, please?

• Juliet Docherty
    4 anni fa

its so hard to say without seeing it. What I am trying to explain is this (bear with me). When you have a pale worktop, if the cupboards are darker, then you are less likely to get it wrong. Imagine a blueish worktop with a pale creamy yellow cupboard, it would look discordant. That is why neutrals are so hard. So if you want something pale then it has to be from the same colour family as the worktop. Then what happens when it hits the floor tile? So if you go for something like a mid tone colour then its safer. That said, the dark one looks really good with the brick, Avoid anything that looks yellowish or yellowish green and quite a lot of stone colour look like this. It could clash with the cool worktop. I would totally ignore fashion, it's what gets us into a mess all the time, do what looks right. What make of paint are you thinking of?

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

that’s very helpful, thanks! For the dark I was thinking of little greene basalt or f&b railings.

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    4 anni fa

Hi neobule, I think with what you have shown, the dark grey with the white veined tops and brickwork will look fantastic. Also important to get the handle choice right. Dark is in, we are tending to explore more colours and mixing with different textures too. Any scheme is about balance, light or dark and you have plenty of light in the room, with different levels of colour.

For reference maybe have a look on a couple of site that are good for image … DeVol and Tom Howley, as they have used dark/light colour, brickwork etc.

Good luck

• Juliet Docherty
    4 anni fa

Little Greene Basalt is a lovely colour and will look great with that warm cupboard, you could paint the inside of it the same colour so it is repeated. You virtually have it here in this image, these units are Basalt.

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    4 anni fa

Nice one Colour Happy

• sksj1
    4 anni fa

Why not go for a mix? Light on the wall units, dark on the base units?

• E D
    4 anni fa

I was thinking that, sksj1, but it’s hard to actually recommend without seeing the entire room.

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Morning. We don’t have wall units. Just two big cupboards.

• minnie101
    4 anni fa

Lovely kitchen, look forward to the after photos! Another vote for dark, is that railings you've used on that cupboard? Are you keeping the wall cupboard in wood as it looks lovely? Just a thought but wondering what it would look like with shelves going round the corner from the chimney to the tall cupboards (but not with the shelves as close together for your room, I was just being lazy as remembered this from Houzz the other day!)

Monochrome Kitchen, Cannonmills, Edinburgh · Maggiori informazioni

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Hi Minnie, thanks. It was an eBay buy.. my husband remodelled it to fit our space :) yes, the wall cupboard will stay wood and it is railings. I like the idea of shelves. Would you go all the way round, like shown in the picture?

• minnie101
    4 anni fa

Oh wow, fantastic job 👏 Well done said husband! I love the wood cupboard. I thought it was railings, I tried basalt but from memory, although it was a while ago, it was lighter in tone than I expected? Do you have a tester you can show In the room? Yes, I would go the whole way round with shelves and try and balance them between the height of the wood cupboard and tall units.

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

I tried a tester of basalt and it was a bit bluer than railings in the room. Decorator coming on Wednesday so hopefully I will have some after pictures for the weekend. :) I’ll have to look for some shelves then.. maybe wood as well?

• minnie101
    4 anni fa

Yes, it was bluer too! I think I would go for wood, definitely looking forward to the pics!

• Julie C
    4 anni fa

Looking forward to seeing the finishes results. Is the Railings a dark blue?

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Hi Julie! Yes, it is. :)

• E D
    4 anni fa

I think Railings is more black than blue, but yes it does have blue ‘tones’ in it.

• PRO
    Make My Blinds
    4 anni fa

going for black or maybe basalt with the kitchen cupboards is a good option because it then gives more flexibility with the wall colour. You could then go for a white or even a light grey for the walls. Then having that brick wall section also really helps break up the look while keeping it feeling cosy. Maybe add a quality roman blind in the window/windows just to soften it up and add to that cosy feel. (the pic below doesn't have a brick wall section, but shows the theme you could go for) : )

• neobule
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Updates will take a bit longer than expected as no decorator due to Covid19 :(

• Sonia
    4 anni fa

Shame but better safe than sorry.

• PRO
    Warrington + Rose
    4 anni fa

There is a chance that concrete alone or mixed with wood could give it original finish,

www.warringtonandrose.co.uk manufacture and design concrete worktops, so don't hesitate and give us a call to discuss your project

Claire and Garath · Maggiori informazioni

Sophie Mosley · Maggiori informazioni

• jim beggs
    4 anni fa

DON'T BE SILLY ABOUT COLOURS AND MATERIALS - KITCHENS ARE GOING OUT OF FASHION

• E D
    4 anni fa

OKAY, GOT IT. 🤣

• E D
    4 anni fa

Actually, I don’t. 🤷‍♂️

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".