Houzz Logo Print
mrcubbage

Help with finding a light for my kitchen eating area and other things

cubby14
4 anni fa

Hi all, I am trying to finish up the decorating of my new home. so first of all i am

hoping you can help me to figure out a light fixture for over my new kitchen table . My style is transitional and it has to coordinate with the pendant lights that are over my island. I am attaching some photos of the area and of the adjacent family room so you can see what is going on in there.

Commenti (3,3k)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    l'anno scorso

Hi Cubby so pretty can’t wait to see it in the room!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    l'anno scorso

Cubby how have you been doing? Hope better🫶🏻

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    12 mesi fa

They're predicting end of august for the bench. Things take so long these days.

Home Interiors, thanks for asking I'm doing okay thank you. Just trying to get and stay healthy.

I have been keeping up with you all on the various posts on here. Just a lurker for now I guess. Although I am needing a new rug in my living room so I might be asking for help on that soon.

• dsimber
    11 mesi fa

Hi cubby! Thinking of you and sending positive vibes! Miss you and look forward to your return! ❤️❤️❤️

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa

Bench came in and was damaged so back it went. Now not sure what to do if it is going to be another 4-6 months for a new one. UGH.

It's time though to start looking for a new rug for the living room. I like the way the current one looks but it was a cheap shag rug which is looking rough after the 4 years I've had it. I think I still need something light colored and pretty quiet. Need 9x12.

• Molly
    8 mesi fa

Oh no 😤. Can you share a picture of the living room again?

• kcooz07
    8 mesi fa

cubby, that is so disappointing after the long wait. If it were me, I'd look elsewhere unless they can send a replacement soon.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 mesi fa

That is so awful Cubby. I know you are so disappointed. Sadly, even with quality pieces, the packing, shipping etc. Is really awful. I am having similar problems.

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa

Sure Molly here they are.

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa

I may give up on the bench for now, I have gotten used to it without one. We'll see

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa

Here are a couple of rugs I kind of like.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 mesi fa

Hi Cubby! I know you posted light rugs but I do like the drama and cozy feel these darker rugs bring to the space…oh and so easy to keep looking clean too!

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa

Thanks Julie for those, interesting idea. I'm not sure they feel like me but I will try to keep an open mind.

• nester44
    8 mesi fa

Nice choices, Julie! I especially like the three on the left side of your posting.

• Molly
    8 mesi fa

Cubby I was playing around on this site where you can design your own rug. You have to get quotes on pricing because they are carpets cut to size. There are dealers near you too. The names are in the upper left.

• cubby14 ha ringraziato Molly
  • Theresa Janssen
    8 mesi fa

Like the idea of a custom rug like Molly showed.  I also like the idea of going with a bigger size where all legs of your furniture are on it.  It will make the space feel larger and just more elevated.  Molly's pics show that.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 mesi fa

I think bigger is best too! I had carpet cut and bound from my local carpet store for our master bedroom…any size you want. We picked a durable neutral.

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa

Good idea Molly, I will look through and see what I like. I have to be careful on size as there is a walkway to the master behind the couch and we can't get into that area.

• Theresa Janssen
    8 mesi fa

If you do custom, the walkway can be taken into consideration for sure.  How wide is the walkway?  I'm guessing but an inch or two will probably not be an issue

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    8 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 mesi fa

That's true Theresa. The walkway is 43" from the back of the couch to the window wall.

• Molly
    7 mesi fa

Hi Cubby! Find any rugs for your living room yet?

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

I'm waiting on samples from several places. Thanks for checking in Molly.

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

Hello all, I need an opinion on this rug for my living room. I have a small 2x3 sample of it and I really like it.

All of the other samples I got were very yellow in my space.

• printesa
    7 mesi fa

I think it's really beautiful!

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

printesa thanks for the look and the opinion.

• nester44
    7 mesi fa

I'm not a designer, but it seems like the very prominent pattern of that rug will compete with the pattern/design in the flooring. The other ones Molly suggested earlier have more subtle patterns and their overall appearance was calmer.

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

Nester thanks for the comments. I will certainly keep that in mind as I decide. I did order some samples from the company Molly suggested but wasn't pleased with any of them. I guess I should take the time to go and look at broadloom and having it cut and bound before I fully decide. I just like the bit of interest with the pattern. In person it doesn't seem to compete with the floors which I hope at some point will change but I see what you are saying in the photo.

• glschisler
    7 mesi fa

Cubby, how does it look it you lay the sample so the lines flow the same way as the floor tiles? I don’t think it would be a big deal then. Just a thought.🤔

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

glschisler I had it that was and then realized that the lines would go the long way and I need the biggest size that is available. I don't think it can be turned the other way.

• btydrvn
    7 mesi fa

I think the rug is very chic..fits well with your setting and your taste…wondering about the flooring..is it possible to darken the white edges of the planks ?..this could remove the conflict ..

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

Thanks btydrvn. I think what you are referring to is the grout, this is tile flooring which I hate but it is throughout my home and $$$$ to remove. I can look into darkening the grout up so it isn't so prominent though.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 mesi fa

Love that rug. Only caveat is if it is two level, the taller level will soil faster and be harder to clean. But it is beautiful.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 mesi fa

Been finding some beautiful things on this website. Thought you might like exploring.
    https://www.ebanista.com/product/marrakesh-alabaster/

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    7 mesi fa

Thanks Flo, I will keep that in mind since it is two levels. I will for sure check that website out thank you.

• btydrvn
    7 mesi fa

Ideally …a stain would work .. just wipe on with a small brush or rag?..

• Molly
    6 mesi fa

Hi Cubby, have you found a rug yet?

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    6 mesi fa

Hi Molly, waiting on hubby to be home. Rug is too heavy to manage by myself. He has been gone for six weeks and will be back for a week tomorrow. Hope to get the rug in place and take some photos to show you all.

• Molly
    6 mesi fa

Glad you found one! That’s a long time to be away, I’m sure you will be happy to see each other. 🙂

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    6 mesi fa

It is a long time to be away and it sounds like this will be ongoing for a couple of years or so since I am not up to moving to Ottawa where his job is. They decided to change it from being remote with some travel to almost full time there and some travel home.

As for the rug, I just hope it turns out to be good since one never knows from a small sample size what it will for sure look like larger.

• cubby14
    Autore originale
    6 mesi fa

Okay here is the rug. I like it. I looked into getting one bound but didn't really find anything I loved for this room and so I just went ahead with this one. It was the right price and although I wish it was bigger it works for now. It is wool and thick and I don't even notice the floor lines being in conflict with the lines on the rug. In person it works fine.

• Molly
    6 mesi fa

Ugh on the job front, hopefully the trips home can become more frequent. Every couple of months is a lot to ask of an employee. I like the rug too. 🙂

cubby14 ha ringraziato Molly
  • kjoy1
    6 mesi fa

Your home is beautiful Cubby. The rug fits right in.

cubby14 ha ringraziato kjoy1
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 mesi fa

My hubby and I commuted between Brussels Belgium and Texas for 3 years. It was before the era of smart phones. We sent emails everyday and had some wonderful times together when I went over exploring most of the British Isles, Europe and a few other places. Fabulous experience. Fond memories. We both had high demand executive positions so we worked hard and then when together played crazy hard!!

cubby14 ha ringraziato Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 mesi fa

Rug looks beautiful. You could scoot the rug more to walkway and pull chair in a bit to have rug have more presence if you wish. Glad you like it. Rugs are so hard aren’t they. Now you just have to find a rhythm of long distance fun. Maybe meet in spots you both would like to explore. Make it fun!

cubby14 ha ringraziato Flo Mangan
  • glschisler
    6 mesi fa

Very nice cubby! Yes, make your new life style fun!

cubby14 ha ringraziato glschisler
  • happyleg
    6 mesi fa

Love that rug that looks cozy!

cubby14 ha ringraziato happyleg
  • DD Deco
    6 mesi fa

Beautiful Cubby! I am sorry to hear about the long distance job - that’s a tough one 😔 If you are still playing around with the LR, then you may want to bring some of that coffee table wood color around the room - perhaps in pillows? love your coffee table btw!

cubby14 ha ringraziato DD Deco
  • cubby14
    Autore originale
    6 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 mesi fa

Thanks everyone, we are going to make this phase of our lives work and if not then we will change something at that point. I do appreciate so much the words of encouragement. Flo, I will try moving the rug over and see what that does with where the blue chair can be. As you know it isn't easy to move a rug that size so any moving of it has to be this week while DH is here.

DD, I agree with you that I might need some more of that color in the room and it is always in the back of my mind. The original plan was to have the doors of the TV console cabinets in that walnut, but they warped so badly that we went back to the ones they came with.

• PRO
    W86 Trading Co., LLC
    il mese scorso

Transitional style homes typically pair well with light fixtures that are sleek, neutral, and modern. Some common choices include chandeliers, semi-flush mounts, or pendant lights, which have a simple and elegant style that can complement different types of home decor. In addition, recessed lighting or cylindrical fixtures are also good options as they provide uniform and soft lighting effects. It is important to choose fixtures that are suitable for the size and purpose of the space, and ensure that they coordinate with the style of other lighting fixtures to create a harmonious visual effect.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".