Houzz Logo Print
suetheron_london

How to frame a built-in bath and walls - dodgy builder advice thanks

Hello. I'd love some advice please. My builder has done the initial framing for a pressed metal bathtub, and looks all wrong. The bathtub is pressed steel, enameled, 1500 (l) x 750 (w) - Bette brand. I'm trying to find standard guidelines for installation

My estimate is that a full tub will weigh over 450kg with water, a potentially heavy person, and the weight of the tub (at least 50kg). So I would think a timber frame on all sides, including the side built to the wall, will be essential. It's an old house with crumbly brick walls. However the builder has just rammed bolts along one side to rest the tub on that, with a full frame on only one side.

Also it's a shower over a bath, so I would think that sheeting over the rim of the bath (ie built into the wall framing) is essential - however he's left it out so that there will be a 10mm gap between bath and wall.

It's poor work all over - the wall sheets are crooked, there are large gaps etc

I'm fuming, and would love some solid Australian Standards to be able to back up what's essential here for the longevity and durability of my bathroom.

Any advice most welcome, thank you

Commenti (13)

• Souzette Lovell
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

the bottom photo shows how some of the frame members don't even touch the ground, and are roughly nailed into the other timber

• Liz
    4 anni fa

No building advice to offer Souzette but I sympathize with your dilemma having experienced dodgy building work. Not knowing what arrangement/contract you have with your builder but suggest you may need to have a chat with him about not being happy with standard of work and see if he is prepared to rectify at his own cost, and if he isn't, then you may need to let him go and look for someone who will meet your needs. Good luck!

• how2girl
    4 anni fa

There is downloadable document here ($92.16) for AS/NZS 2023-1995 which is the current standard.

The document description states:

Full Description

Specifies materials, construction and installation requirements for baths manufactured from cast iron vitreous enamel, pressed steel vitreous enamel, vitreous china, stainless steel, plastic and composite materials.

https://www.techstreet.com/sa/standards/as-nzs-2023-1995?product_id=2047846

• Souzette Lovell
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

hi How2girl, thanks for the link(I love standards!!) however Ive already reviewed that one,and it talks about the manufacture of bathtubs only, not their installation

the search continues...

• how2girl
    4 anni fa

It does seem difficult to find any standards that reference steel bath installation. The Bette.de (German) site has some downloadable files that you can only view with an Autocad viewer but don’t bother with them as they’re just drawings of the baths, not about their installation. Best I can find so far is at the link below. It’s about installing a particular brand of acrylic bath but does note that when installing a steel bath - use a concrete or mortar slurry for support. It would seem that the framing requirements are similar for steel or acrylic.

https://www.plumbingplus.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Bath-Installation-Instructions-Nov-2015.pdf

• Souzette Lovell
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Hi How2Girl, I appreciate your follow up! The Reece document is good - thanks - I wish there was something concrete in the Standards though. Worth notiing is that a shower over the bath needs the same wall-sheeting details as if it was a shower base. Also wall framing in the bathroom needs to be done to AS 1684.2-2010 Residential timber-framed construction - Non-cyclonic areas (Which the James Hardie 'wet area design book' is based on)

Very frustrating that the Australian Standards are not readily available - ie FREE- or at least, latest copies at local libraries. How are we meant to build to standards when they are inaccessible. Another factor in determining the overall quality of the Australian construction industry

Also what I've found frustrating in this instance is that other trades in my small town are unwilling to agree that the work is of very poor quality - there is an unstated 'brotherhood' at work. So Im going to have to engage an independent Building Certifier, probably from out of town. Of course,the cost for this will come off the builder's fees on a pro-rata basis for below-par work

• how2girl
    4 anni fa

Yes, it’s a difficult one, the trades code of silence is unhelpful. No amount of searching has uncovered an AS for this, which is odd, as there surely must be one.

• siriuskey
    4 anni fa

How has he attached the top of the vertical support in your second photo to the wall, there should be a horizontal support to match the other on the left hand long wall. What has he done at the other end. I would be having him add these supports to both end walls

• siriuskey
    4 anni fa

should have mentioned that this would spread the load

• Souzette Lovell
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Hi Siriuskey, very well picked up! The whole bath framing is dodgy. It needs to be supported with bottom bracing and vertical supports all around, as well as hook under the wall where the shower is over the bath. I've engaged a Building Certifier (cost will be borne by the Builder through Fair Trading claim) and we're having a site meeting this Tuesday.

• siriuskey
    4 anni fa

Hope the certifier isn't dodgey as well, they now have a terrible reputation caused by the few that jumped into it seeing an opportunity to make quick money, thankfully that hole is being sealed. Can't you just tell the builder to do it how you want and take some pride in his work, have you asked the plumber what he wants for him to do the best job

• Souzette Lovell
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

hi Siriuskey, no the Builder does not listen. This is the only way to get through to him, and yes we are appealing to his sense of pride and workmanship to give him a chance to improve his work. However to be honest I'd rather him off the job, it's hard to restore faith in a tradesperson once it's gone

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".