Houzz Logo Print
webuser_944186815

Mis-match created because KA changed handle design

AJCN
4 anni fa

We are replacing an under counter ice maker which sits right next to our 6 year old stainless steel KitchenAid dishwasher. I'm trying to decide what to do since KA changed their handle design at some point in the past 6 years. Since these 2 appliances sit side by side it would be nice if the handles matched. I could:

- Buy SS KA ice maker, and also buy a separate DW handle, switch out the DW handle to match new ice maker. (Q'n: can the DW handle be switched? I looked up KA instructions on installing a new handle and it doesn't look difficult, but I'm wondering if the dimensions would be the same; the instructions were geared toward replacing with same model handle).

- Buy SS KA ice maker, and wait til my DW breaks and needs to replace, hope that they don't change the handle design again for a while, and live with the mis-match in the meantime. (Q'n: How often do appliance companies change handle designs?)

- Buy a panel-ready KA icemaker instead of SS, have my cabinet pro make the panel, and install a cabinet pull which matches my other pulls in the kitchen, rather than trying to match the DW (Q'n: would the 6 year old SW Pearly White paint match the new paint on the panel, or does paint change slightly in that amount of time?)

- Buy a different brand without a visible handle. (Don't know if the SS surface would match)

TIA!

Commenti (15)

• Shannon_WI
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

You are focusing on something that no one notices. Don’t twist yourself into a pretzel over appliance handles. Appliances do not need to match. Quick - think about your friends’ and relatives‘ kitchens. What do their appliances handles look like?

AJCN ha ringraziato Shannon_WI
  • cpartist
    4 anni fa

No one buys appliances because handles match. They buy the best appliance for their needs. My handles do not match and not one person ever noticed including me.

AJCN ha ringraziato cpartist
  • AJCN
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Thanks for your response, but I definately notice this kind of thing. I could give you a dozen examples right quick from my neightbors, friends and family members of things that just don't go together, but they are not different enough to look intentional.

• M Miller
    4 anni fa

I would do your choice "Buy SS KA ice maker, and wait til my DW breaks and needs to replace, hope that they don't change the handle design again for a while, and live with the mis-match in the meantime."

For your first option, I am not sure you'll be able to find a matching handle for the DW that will also fit the existing handle holes in the DW. For your third option, that will be very expensive--a Kitchenaid panel-ready icemaker is I think about $2000, plus the cost of the new panel--and, as you mentioned, it will be difficult to match a new panel with the existing panels. And your fourth option - sometimes stainless steel finishes don't match exactly even within the same brand because the manufacturer purchases the stainless steel from different suppliers or from a different run and that kind of thing. That subtle difference wouldn't bother most people, but you indicated that would bother you.

AJCN ha ringraziato M Miller
  • M
    4 anni fa

Have you already bought the mismatching ice maker? Can you return it? Can it be converted to a panel-ready model (I know with some appliances, such as Miele, this is an option).

If you are stuck with the stainless steel model, then it doesn't seem to make sense to buy a panel-ready version. Otherwise, I am generally a big fan of panel-ready. Looks much cleaner -- but does come at a premium.

The alternative would be to wait until the DW dies and then buying a panel ready DW. But you might have to wait for a while. Good dishwashers can last for a long time. I am not so big on Kitchenaid as a DW brand; but if it lasted this long, it'll probably last for a few more years.

The advantage with panel ready is that you have a lot more options. You can get something that doesn't have any handles. You can get the handles used for your other cabinets. Or you can buy a matching handle for one of your appliances.

Or, of course, you could always live with it for half a year and see if it still bugs you. I understand all about irrational reactions to things that aren't quite the way you want it. But I also know that some things sound worse, when you think about it than when you have actually seen it and gotten used to it.

• wdccruise
    4 anni fa

Personally I think this is silly, but here's one with no handle so it won't matter what the old or new dishwasher looks like: Whirlpool WUI75X15HZ 15 in. 50 lb. Built-In Ice Maker in Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel

AJCN ha ringraziato wdccruise
  • PRO
    Factory Builder Stores
    4 anni fa

Hi AJCN!

Mismatched handles can be annoying, but it's honestly not something that can be planned for - manufacturers do regularly update handles in new product lines, though they're usually similar in style to older handles. Unfortunately the new handle KitchenAid chose a few years ago is a big departure from their old Architect II handles. They actually still offer 1 dishwasher model with the old handle purely for replacement purposes, but this option doesn't exist in their other appliance lines.

As far as options go, we usually recommend the KitchenAid icemaker over others because it comes with an outstanding warranty (3 years limited parts/labor, when most are usually 1 year, or 2 at best). Icemakers are notoriously finicky, so I'd still recommend the KA model here for that feature. As far as your listed options go:

1. The new KA handles are not made to retrofit on the older product, so I don't think this would be an option for you unless you're willing to have a 3rd party make it work. Even so, I'd recommend against it since this could mess up the integrity of your unit. The "solo" handles that KA currently offers for sale are actually meant for current panel ready models.

2. This would likely be the most cost effective solution, since KA has basically set in to this handle and I'd expect it to stick around another 2-3 years at absolute minimum (I believe the old handle lasted 10+ years, so KA isn't necessarily quick to change).

3. KitchenAid does have a panel ready option for their icemakers, and you would probably save more on the front side, but you'd make up and probably exceed that cost having the panel and hardware ordered. I can't speak to how closely it would match, but keep in mind that these panel sizes aren't always universal. So when it comes time to replace the appliance, this may need mods or a whole new panel to fit the new appliance.

I also know older KA panel ready icemaker models weren't fully integrated, meaning they'd stick out a bit from a standard cabinet depth, so you'll definitely want to check this will work as intended dimension-wise before pulling the trigger on it.

4. There are options available that will have a more neutral handle like the Whirlpool wdccruise linked - that unit is actually very similar to the KitchenAid (Whirlpool owns KA), and I think the ice style is the same. The only thing you'd lose here or with other options is that 3 year warranty, and depending on brand, you may be looking at a different style of ice.

I hope that helps!

AJCN ha ringraziato Factory Builder Stores
  • salex
    4 anni fa

Count me among those who don't think appliance handles need to match. But I know people who are appalled that anyone ever mixes and matches appliance brands and models.

To actually answer your question, I would pick your 3rd option: Install a panel-ready appliance (in this case the icemaker?) and add a handle that matches the rest of your cabinets. That's the option I chose for my DW so that it wouldn't interrupt the aesthetic of my wood cabinets. I love the look of consistent cabinetry finishes and hardware throughout the part of room that I look at the most.

AJCN ha ringraziato salex
  • jillybean103
    4 anni fa

Just bought brand new appliances for the kitchen. All the same SS finish. The sales rep pointed out a mismatch of handles and said it doesn't bother him but he wanted to point it out just in case it bothered me. I have way bigger things to worry about that.

AJCN ha ringraziato jillybean103
  • chispa
    4 anni fa

I think this calls for a whole kitchen gut and remodel which should be done with all paneled appliances, and cabinets, all with push to open feature ... no handles to match for anything!

;-)

• wdccruise
    4 anni fa

"I think this calls for a whole kitchen gut and remodel..."

I disagree. I think this call for demolishing the kitchen and always eating out but only in restaurants where the kitchen is not visible to patrons.

• wilson853
    4 anni fa

Since these appliances aren't separated by any cabinetry I can see how this might bother you. It would be like putting a stainless builtin freezer and refrigerator from different brands next to each other. I think that you should go with the panel-ready KA ice maker and leave the DW as is. FWIW we have had a KA ice maker in our game room bar area for many years without an issue and like the ice better than the cubes from our SZ freezer. I also have various handles throughout my kitchens but none are adjacent to each other which makes it far less noticeable.

• Helen
    4 anni fa

As someone who has been chastised for "trivial" matters, I understand your post.

Given the realities of handles changing and the reality of this detail bothering you, I would opt for panel ready appliance and be done.

I have paneled dishwasher and refrigerator because there would have been too much hulking appliances otherwise. The appliance pulls I bought match each other but not the pulls and knobs for my cabinets but since they are a deliberate innocuous design, I am fine - they are oil rubbed bronze so they match my faucet and blend with my copper sink.

• Jakvis
    4 anni fa

Is it possible to supply the model numbers for the 2 appliances? Depending on the KA handle I believe you can order and cut one to make it fit and have matching handles.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".