Houzz Logo Print
gelato822

Custom build house - bad tile job or am I crazy/too picky??

K WG
5 anni fa

We are building our dream home, and spending a lot of money to do so. So far we are really happy with how everything is turning out, except for the tile. I'm completely new to this and am not sure what is "acceptable," but I know this doesn't look good... All the grout looks messy (holes, uneven, big globs, not wiped down) and the layouts are awkward.

When I asked our builder about it he said the tile guys usually come back at the end and clean up the grout, fill in holes, and grind big patches away. I feel like this is strange... Why would they come back to clean up a job when they could have done it when they were already here? I don't have a lot of knowledge on grout, but does it make sense to put grout over grout to fill in holes and uneven spaces? And why not clean up the big patches when they were there instead of creating more work for them to grind them down later? Could grinding it down weaken the grout? Possibly chip the tiles?

For the master shower, there are places where they have tiny slivers of tile along an edge that just disappear into being filled-in grout. Where the bullnose meets the wall, the tile goes in and out and is no where near aligned or level with the wall. Our builder told me it was because the walls weren't straight.

For the floors, we have rectified porcelain, plank tiles. The grout seems super low in some spots and the corners are really sharp. But I keep questioning myself on all of this because I'm not an expert and maybe I am being too picky?

Here are a few of many, many issues I'm seeing:

Commenti (36)

• PRO
    Nexa Group
    5 anni fa

It does look the job was not done by experienced contractors. Either the tile is not high quality, therefore a lot of variation, or the contractor skills are lacking, and a bit messy...

K WG ha ringraziato Nexa Group
  • Angel 18432
    5 anni fa

Oh my. You are correct. That is a terrible tile job. Probably should all be ripped out and done again by a pro tiler. You are not being too picky. Get the builder in and show him the sloppy workmanship.

K WG ha ringraziato Angel 18432
  • wysmama
    5 anni fa
    I’m no expert either. But even the way the tiles are laid out is a mess. The small skinny pieces butting up to another small skinny piece on the other wall. Crazy. I can see coming back once construction is closer to done to check work and tidy up I guess. But I wouldn’t be thrilled with the tile work if that were my house.
    Sorry.
    K WG ha ringraziato wysmama
  • lindacottonwood
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

While I am not a pro, I am very detail oriented.

We are in the middle of building our house right now and I would

not accept this quality of work.

K WG ha ringraziato lindacottonwood
  • calidesign
    5 anni fa

You're not being too picky. That is not quality tiling. If you're doing a whole house, make sure the contractor uses different tilers for the other areas.

K WG ha ringraziato calidesign
  • Nidnay
    5 anni fa
    Horrible tile job....a complete do over. Looks like a child did it.
    K WG ha ringraziato Nidnay
  • tatts
    5 anni fa

Oh, hell no!

You can't come back and slap 1/16" of grout on top of other grout just to even it out. Well, you can, but it won't last. Grout needs to be applied once and finished properly and set as a unit, the full depth of the seam. How are they going to clean out that corner? Why would they walk away and leave it to set like that when it would be so easy to finish it off while it's wet?

They should not have applied any grout unless they had time to finish it properly, including rinsing.

That's garbage. And that's not a mistake; that is deliberate garbage.

K WG ha ringraziato tatts
  • Angel 18432
    5 anni fa

Well I think we all agree, it's a bad job.

My question is how to proceed next and were you not on the job site to see the tiles

being installed "before" the grouting. It's looks like a lot of work has been done there and

there were already signs it was poor workmanship.

• K WG
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Angel - I try to get over to the job site as much as I can, but they move very fast. I cannot recall seeing the tiles with the spacers, and did not see any of the tile when the grout was still wet. For the tile, they asked me how I wanted the accent tile, which I made a drawing of and also a written description. I thought as long as they know where the accent tile goes and the dimensions of the niches, then they should be able to make a layout for the field tile. I also would have thought that if the niches were in an awkward position in relationship to the dimensions of the tile, that the builder or the tile setters would bring up or fix the issue before tiling. This builder builds luxury homes, so I trusted the work and craftsmanship would be high quality.

• K WG
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

NexaGroup - the tile is high quality, and if we're talking a tear out and retile, it will be very expensive. I don't think it is fair for us to have to pay for it to be done?

• Angel 18432
    5 anni fa

Time to get in touch with builder - i'm sure they will not want to ruin their reputation

if they are a luxury home builder.

• User
    5 anni fa

It’s all a do over. The GC is going to need to replace the tile, and he’s going to want to use the same crew again. Don’t let that happen. Insist that you are able to interview the next tile crew. The GC will have kittens becsuse the labor will be triple what the clueless ones charged. https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

K WG ha ringraziato User
  • PRO
    Nexa Group
    5 anni fa

I would definitely get the GC involved, and they are responsible to replace the tiles, and find a new experienced tile installer to install the new tiles. Don't pay them until you are happy. Request that you be there to check on the tile job as it is happening.

K WG ha ringraziato Nexa Group
  • cpartist
    5 anni fa

If that hack tile job is what they did that shows, I’d be extremely worried about how they waterproofed the shower. Do you have pictures of the waterproofing?

K WG ha ringraziato cpartist
  • cpartist
    5 anni fa

PS. A pro does the job correctly the first time and doesn’t need to come back and “fix” things like you show.

K WG ha ringraziato cpartist
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 anni fa

A "custom" home. ................if you mean a "customized" version of a spec home? Your builder is using the subs for a low end builder box. Because this is not the work level in a true custom build with attention to every single detail.

A do over. A worry on the rest of possible issues, you've not even considered or yet found.

If you purchased your own materials he needs to replace. Get ready for the battle.

And who places a hand held in the middle of an accent tile? Mmmm?

Personally, I'd get the do over, re select to a simpler mode. Especially in showers.

K WG ha ringraziato JAN MOYER
  • millworkman
    5 anni fa

Tiling. While. Intoxicated. And seriously I would have HUGE questions about anything else this "builder" did or found accpetable on the entire project if he feels that is ok work that can be fixed at the end.........................................

K WG ha ringraziato millworkman
  • PRO
    ACCENT MASONRY LLC
    5 anni fa

Finish Tile work all about precision. The homeowner is going to have to look at it forever. Not sure if entire area needs reinstall or just certain problem spots. Sorry this happened to you.

K WG ha ringraziato ACCENT MASONRY LLC
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 anni fa

WOW. This makes us sick. Bad for the consumer. Bad for the industry. That is a totally unacceptable job on many levels. You say this is a new build and the contractor told you the walls weren't straight? The first step in a professional tile installation is prepping the walls for flat and straight. No excuse. There are SO many issues with this job. Technically, they have the "right to cure", but sadly, the only cure is a complete tear out and re-do (by a different team). And I'm not being an alarmist here or in the least bit extreme. It all has to come out. Ask for documentation on all aspects of the work. What did you use for the prep? What is the pan system in the shower? How did all aspects of this work conform to industry standards? If they don't know where to find the industry standards, just another indication that you weren't working with a professional. Don't back down on this. This is the kind of work that we see on a site called "tile fails" where the pros can post photos of terrible tile jobs. It isn't worth $2 and will devalue your home (if it even holds up). Make sure you vet the next team for the re-do. Really unfortunate situation. So sorry you are dealing with this. These "contractors" need to be held accountable.

K WG ha ringraziato Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • artemis_ma
    5 anni fa

Total carelessness, or a crew's first day on the job... with a case of Bud.

How often were you able to check on the build during the stages up to now?

K WG ha ringraziato artemis_ma
  • K WG
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

The builder said they couldn’t wipe down the grout because the water wasn‘t hooked up

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 anni fa

Water is a necessary element for any tile job.

K WG ha ringraziato Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • Angel 18432
    5 anni fa

So, they should have brought their own water if they knew what they were doing.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 anni fa

There is no way this should be accepted no respected tile setter would do this . Make the builder eat the redo in a custom home this is beyond unacceptable. But even if not custom this is a redo

K WG ha ringraziato Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    5 anni fa

Do remind the builder that there wasn't any water when they used the thinset to set the tiles, and there also wasn't any water when they mixed the grout. How did they handle the situation then?

K WG ha ringraziato Skippack Tile & Stone
  • millworkman
    5 anni fa

"The builder said they couldn’t wipe down the grout because the water wasn‘t hooked up"

It just gets better.............................

K WG ha ringraziato millworkman
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    5 anni fa

It's about the worst job I have ever seen...all of it everywhere. I would tell them to remove it AND you want you money back...I would take photos now...you can threaten law suit and publicizing these photos with their name. Do not let them do it over. Everything is wrong, placement, level, grout, cutting...everything.

K WG ha ringraziato Barbara Griffith Designs
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 anni fa

How in hell does one cut tile with no WET saw?!

K WG ha ringraziato JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    5 anni fa

This is a really bad job. Looks like a DIY tile job, not professionals. You should get a refund and find a new contractor that can handle the job!

K WG ha ringraziato Pearl Remodeling
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 anni fa

"How in hell does one cut tile with no WET saw?!"

Seeing you asked Jan:)

Snap cutter for the majority is normal, angle grinder, dry cut saw, profile wheels, diamond jigsaw blades, 2",3"4" diamond circular saw blades etc. All cuts get smoothed prior to setting with a rubbing stone or diamond pad whether it's a wet cut or dry.

The saw in this link does not use water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=iQTS244+Dry-Cut+Dustless+Tile+Saw+w/Stand&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwg5-3jerhAhVDKa0KHbIYDxEQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1188&bih=538#imgrc=23I9xgf-dayV5M:

K WG ha ringraziato Creative Tile Eastern CT
  • chispa
    5 anni fa

Wow, it looks like your builder found his tile crews in the day-laborer lot at Home Depot, on his way to the building site.

• K WG
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Update: Our builder has agreed to tear them out and retile! We‘ll insist on a new tiler, and draw things out exactly how we want them.

• Cyndy
    5 anni fa

Great update! I bet the builder won't use that sub again! Can you oversee along the way this time? Catch the goofs as they happen? I hope the new tiler won't make any of course!

K WG ha ringraziato Cyndy
  • wilson853
    5 anni fa

Most importantly make sure to ask ahead of time what waterproofing they will use in order to avoid a failure and mold behind your tile. We used Schluter.

SS-W

K WG ha ringraziato wilson853
  • taconichills
    5 anni fa

Having tile jobs done are gut wrenching. So happy that your builder is making the correct move to remove and replace. Seems like only ten percent of the tile contractors are legitimately good. My builder prepped the tile guy who I had by telling him that I would be doing the bucket test, sliding a 5 gallon bucket across the floor and it should not catch any lips. Also, every morning I had blue tape X marks on tiles that needed to be replaced because he did not use a random of enough color pattern. The fool just grabbed from the same box and went with whatever was in his hand. Could not believe it.

Good luck on round 2!

K WG ha ringraziato taconichills
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".