Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

House exterior: Benjamin Moore Graphite vs Sherwin Williams Iron Ore?

ostrich
5 anni fa

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide on the exterior colour for my new house, which will be modern looking and has 2 tone stucco. I am looking for a dark charcoal without much undertone (if anything just a tiny bit of blue) with a warm light grey. So far, I have narrowed it down to Benjamin Moore Graphite vs Sherwin Williams Iron Ore. From the sample that I did, I found Iron Ore to be quite a neutral charcoal with not much of an undertone (but it was a small piece only). From the color chip, BM Graphite appears to be even more neutral but a touch darker.

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with these colors for their home exteriors please? I tried to do a search on Google for these colors but did not find much on BM Graphite. If anyone could help here, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you so much!

Commenti (30)

• PRO
    NOMI - Luxury Bathroom Remodel
    5 anni fa

Hello Ostrich,

We haven't used those colors for exterior yet but we found these online, we hope it helps!

Sherwin Williams Iron Ore

BM Graphite

They are both dark, tend to black. Both of them are beautiful options in our opinion.

Good luck!

Joseph & Berry

ostrich ha ringraziato NOMI - Luxury Bathroom Remodel
  • kab2424
    5 anni fa

We just painted our exterior in iron ore (please excuse the multiple unfinished projects also shown in the picture) and I love it! I have also used the color several times throughout the interior of my home and will say that it does end up having a slight blue undertone, especially depending on the sheen, but don't find it overwhelming! Hope this helps, and good luck!

ostrich ha ringraziato kab2424
  • ostrich
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Thank you so much, Berry and Joseph, and byrnes_kate!

Berry and Joseph, I love how that chartreuse foliage looks against the SW Iron Ore background! Just lovely. It's such a "soft black"! I love it.

byrnes_kate, thank you for the pictures! I really love how your house and the cabinets look in SW Iron Ore! In bright sunlight, does the exterior look more gray than black? Or does it always look pretty black regardless of the sunlight intensity please?

Thank you again for the very helpful photos. Keep them coming! :-)

• PRO
    Color Zen
    5 anni fa

Iron Ore is one of my favorite paint colors, it generally looks like a washed black w very little undertone but all lighting is unique. GL!

ostrich ha ringraziato Color Zen
  • ostrich
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

byrnes_kate, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! I love the color scheme, and the contrast between the warm wood ceiling and the Iron Ore cabinets is beautiful. Thank you for the great photos!

Color Zen, thank you! My house has 2 tones for the stucco, and the front facade has a warm, light gray (SW Dorian Gray) stucco and I want to contrast that with a charcoal color. I am trying to decide if the dark stucco should be something as dark as SW Iron Ore, or if it should be something lighter like SW Peppercorn. I worry that the contrast between the lighter and darker stucco may be too much but then after all, it is a modern facade so it may just be OK with the high contrast! Thoughts?

Thanks again!

• k mcc
    3 anni fa

@ostrich what did you end up going with? I'm trying to decide between those two colors right now!

• ostrich
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Kailyn, I ended up using Sherwin Williams Iron Ore and I LOVE IT!

As others pointed out, the color has very little undertone and it's just like a washed, warm black. It is absolutely beautiful with Dorian Gray, as I am using both colors for the exterior.

I think that Benjamin Moore Graphite would probably have more of a bluish undertone, and it looks beautiful too. However, SW Iron Ore works better for my overall color scheme.

I hope this helps!

• k mcc
    3 anni fa

@ostrich So helpful--thanks for sharing! I do love the warmth of the Iron Ore.

• lakebungalow
    3 anni fa

@kab2424 Can you share what white you used for your exterior trim? We are going dark with our exterior and struggling to pick a white trim from the hundreds of whites and off whites that are out there.

• Jessica
    3 anni fa

@kerstabohrman I have the opposite problem.. we’ve decided on our white, struggling to choose our contrasting trim. We are doing Sherwin Williams Alabaster for the white and deciding between sw iron ore, bm graphite, and magnolia blackboard for the trim.

• Shilpa Patel
    3 anni fa

Does anyone have a recommendation for a very deep gray color to go with the modern white dove stucco house? I want to put the deep gray color on the front door and the garage. The trim is going to be black since I have black windows. Any photos or suggestions would help

• Shilpa Patel
    3 anni fa

• emily lesh
    3 anni fa

@ostrich and others, I'm wondering if you did a paint or stain? Would you mind sharing a picture of your exterior? What undertones are you finding in bright light? We are considering Iron Ore for a garage/ barn exterior. We get a lot of direct sun exposure when the sun is shining, but also have a big pine forest behind us. So many great color options to consider!

• ostrich
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Emily, so sorry that I completely missed your post before, and that was 4 months ago!!! I hope it is not too late to respond to you now.

I have stucco exterior, so it is not painted or stained... I love my SW Iron Ore as I found that it is a warm charcoal with very little undertone. Many other charcoal colors look bluish - still beautiful, but just not what I had wanted. Let me see if I can show you a photo. Sorry again for this delay!

• ostrich
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Emily, here it is! I have chosen this photo that was taken in very bright sunlight so that you can see the exact colors! The darker stucco is Sherwin Williams Iron Ore - you see that it does not have any undertone at all! Funnily, the garage door was supposed to be painted in the same color too but it looks bluish here... in reality though, it is not that bluish! LOL!

Just for contrast, the light color stucco is SW Dorian Gray. It is like a warm concrete color. The combination with SW Iron Ore is great!

I hope this helps.

• hayleyfilasky
    2 anni fa

Did anyone land up painting the exterior BM Graphite? I’m leaning towards this color but so nervous it will have a blue undertone.

• Marylee H
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

BM Graphite is a knocked-back, greyed-out, very low Chroma, (near neutral) colour from the Blue Hue Family.

It has very little colour to it at all.

If you do notice any sense of blueness. (possible in certain lighting), it isn’t because it has blue undertones. It would be because it *is* blue.

🌈

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 anni fa

Yep. And its factual notation places it at the end of the Blue hue family over near Purple-Blue. Super dark colors like Graphite from this hue family range tend to read as the most neutral, no discernible hue bias.

• Amy Lynn
    2 anni fa

@haleyfilasky Chris and Julia from Chris Loves Julia blog painted their Idaho house in graphite. If you head to their blog or Instagram, you can see many pictures of Graphite. It is stunning and, to me, doesn't look blue in the photos at all.

• Utente-873037308
    2 anni fa

Im doing the graphite, how do you feel about onyx for trim?

• hayleyfilasky
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

I think onyx will work well. Does your home have siding? I would warm it up with copper lighting or some wood elements.

• Meg Taylor
    l'anno scorso

I know I am late to the party, but I have graphite painted on my tv wall (we have a ton of natural light) in my living room. It looks like charcoal mixed with blue to me. The more black you place next to it, the bluer it will look. For this reason, I switched my sconces to a bronze tone which looks much better next to it. I love the color graphite but if you plan on using the color black, lighting, metal etc, it's not the color for you.

• Stefanie
    8 mesi fa

I am in the process of painting my shed BM Graphite after seeing Chris loves Julia home exterior color. I’m doubting myself now because of how dark it is. Which seems crazy to me becasue I LOVE the look of deep dark charcoal no undertone colors. The photo of Chris loves Julia’s exterior is really a true depiction of the shade. When looking for other examples of exteriors painted in that color I found a photo that sealed the deal for me. However However, it was just a touch lighter in that photo but I just chalked it up to lighting differences in the photos. After painting 2 sides with 1 coat of Graphite I’m realizing that while it may be the same paint color maybe i prefer the lighter look. I’ll post some photos below. I can say for sure that BM Graphite in my opinion shows no underlying tones of blue or brown. Just picked up samples of BM Racoon Fur & Witching Hour. I’m about to paint and then compare. I will upload photos for anyone struggling with finding that ”perfect” gray color you had in your mind. Lol

• hayleyfilasky
    8 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 mesi fa

BM Iron Ore! No undertones.

• Utente-873037308
    8 mesi fa

This is Graphite with Tricorn Black trim.

• Stefanie
    8 mesi fa

Graphite BM

• Stefanie
    8 mesi fa

The photo above from HU-873 is the color I had in mind but on my shed it’s a much deeper shade after 1 coat. Nervous to do another but maybe that will reflect the true color better.

• Stefanie
    8 mesi fa

Raccoon Fur Witching Hour Peppercorn Graphite

• hlesnik29
    2 mesi fa

@haleyfilasky - what color and style is your roof? I love it

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".