Houzz Logo Print
mea5

HELP tile is in not grouted yet. Is the pattern too dark?

mea5
5 anni fa
Gosh, after thinking I picked the perfect tile, I am now wondering if it’s too much contrast against the surrounding tile.

Looking for expert advice or confidence that I made a good choice.

Floor tile is dark, cabinets are dark. Running out of time. Thank you.

Commenti (50)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 anni fa

It makes a nice accent wall... But IMO I just don't think this is the right tile for the inlay. Inlays usually don't have a continuation in the pattern, so it looks like an individual piece. When using tiles with continuation patterns it looks like something is missing.

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thanks for input, and I understand your input, ..... color wise grout will be a little darker and may pull it together??
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Bad idea, badly placed, not needed. If anywhere? on the floor. . Take it out is my advice. And a bit too much going on here...........?

• Laura Mac
    5 anni fa

mea5, is that grouted? Hard to tell by the spacers still in the tiles. If not, what color are you grouting?

So you want confidence? Hahaha don't come to Houzz! Everyone will pick apart your choices. I LOVE your choices, and I don't think the grout is bad (if that is it). What will you do if someone doesn't like it, would you take it down and start over?

If so, have to agree with GN that the tile inlay isn't the right size/feel. I would have just gone with your off-white tiles all the way around, or put that on one entire wall. The inlay is not spaced properly between the tiles (top is about 1" under and then bottom rests about 3" under the bottom, and it needs some trim (pencil of some sort) around it, etc....but it's really cute! It's just one of those personal preferences of mine. Use a different pattern In a niche, yes, on an entire wall, yes, going from ceiling to floor in a vertical row, yes, but not just a rectangle plunked in the middle....but if you love it, that's all that matters!

And dark grout is not my fave agains light tiles.....(again, my personal preference). I'd go with a grout that is the light gray in your white tile.

Again, love all your choices!!! Beautiful.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 anni fa

I agree with Laura, the grout would be to dark, pick a mid tone grout on the lighter tile, you want the tile to stand out, not the grout joints.

• DLM2000-GW
    5 anni fa

If you have the option to take it out, I would. Your concern that it's too much is justified and the pattern as mentioned above is not the best choice for an inlay. The darker grout IMO is going to further add to the visual busy-ness. Sorry - I know that's not what you were hoping for.

On another note, the rug beneath your samples is gorgeous! Would love to know where you found it or who makes it - thanks.

• Sammie J
    5 anni fa

Answering your question, "is there too much contrast", I would say no. Don't do darker grout tho - that will add too much contrast overall. Love your overall choices!

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 anni fa

"mea5, is that grouted? Hard to tell by the spacers still in the tiles."

"So you want confidence? Hahaha don't come to Houzz!"

Title of post - HELP tile is in not grouted yet.

One way to prove a point:)

• mvcanada
    5 anni fa

I love that tile, but I'd put it on the floor if it were mine. I tend to agree it may not have been the best choice for your wall. Is it a niche, or is it just an accent area?

I'm looking at your original picture. Are the small dark grey tiles for the floor?

And the white background piece bottom left, is that your counter for the vanity?

What is the wood look tile for?

I think you need to remove at least one element from your choices there unless its a really large bathroom.

I think I'd make the shower all the same tile. I'd put the pattern on the floor and get rid of the small square grey tiles. But is it a bathtub or a shower? Are those little grey ones for the floor of the shower?

Sorry, I have so many questions. Can you post pictures of the rest of the space and specify which tile is going where? I think that might help others give you good advice on how to proceed.

If you are having doubts yourself, then I think the best thing to do is remove it. If you love it, then go for it, but I don't think you'd be asking if you were really sure it is what you want.

• hummingalong2
    5 anni fa
    Presuming the small grey tiles are the shower floor? It may look better when you see them together. Definitely no dark grout.
  • artistsharonva
    5 anni fa

Dark grout accents the lines & makes space feel smaller. Can't use bleach cleaners either.

• artistsharonva
    5 anni fa

I would take out the square accent.

Maybe you can do a recess area instead

• houseinthewoods18
    5 anni fa

Do you like it? If you like it, then you made a good choice and it’s great. Right? Very pretty tile - I think it looks nice. It makes a statement. But, if you don’t like it, and can afford the expense, then put something else there. But let it be up to you.

• Fori
    5 anni fa

I like it. I'd do a grey that matches the middle tone in the patterned tile. It will be wonderful when it's all put together.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    5 anni fa

I would take it out. I don't feel you need an accent tile. Continue on with what you have as a field tile. The rest looks great.

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    I appreciate the input. I bought through the weekend to make a decision. So sad, I really loved that tile. I am leaning toward removing the tile and keeping it all the same. Less is more. Ironically that patterned tile was the inspiration for everything.

DLM2000-GW, thank you I like the rug too, and it’s thin enough that I use it as a table runner. I do not remember where I bought it, either Home Goods or World Market.
  • DLM2000-GW
    5 anni fa

Oy! Well it was great inspiration because everything else works together beautifully - and that works too, just not the best choice in that location in that configuration.... but the thing is, if you love it and if it will make you smile every time you step into the shower that's all that really matters. I still would not use a dark grout but go for the mid-tone of the pattern tile instead. We area all so much about what's 'perfect or right or fits the rules' here and tend to put less emphasis on what makes someone happy. At the end of the day, it's a shower - YOUR shower - not world peace where we all have a stake in what happens. Life is short. If it's making you sad to lose it then don't.

Thanks for the info on the rug - figures it's not something with a name that I can search for!!

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    A few more pics, the counters are a tobacco, with narrow cabinet on tops in a soft off white. The main shower tile goes under that window, where we are installing a cast iron clawfoot. I originally wanted the patter for a niche, but didn’t want to cover it with ugly shampoo bottles, so we elected for just the focal point and then put the niche where you wont see it. (Not a huge master).
  • mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Hiding niche, tile around tub area, door is being reconstructed to a pocket door into the water closet.
  • mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    PS. @artisthsharonva Thanks for the tip on bleaching dark grout. I am a bleacher!
  • ljk1
    5 anni fa

I would stick with your original plan. Possibly add some kind of frame around the accent tile in the shower. I might think about doing the accent shower tile also on the floor. Find a different spot for that great rug. Very nice

• roarah
    5 anni fa

I like it it is unique.

• DLM2000-GW
    5 anni fa

Mongo!! Haven't seen you in these parts in forever!

mea5 do check on your waterproofing. I know just enough about it to be dangerous so hesitated to say anything. My familiarity is with Portland enclosures but they are like hen's teeth. Mongo is steering you in the right direction to save future headaches.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 anni fa

Please do not ignore Mongo's comment. I would have commented the same. He often saves me typing:) The comment is NOT a criticism. We point these details out to help protect the homeowner. Refer to Wonderboard installation instructions to understand our concerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpzPLIXFkHU

• MongoCT
    5 anni fa

@DLM2000-GW & Creative Tile Eastern CT

Hello, children!

I come and go, been traveling for a bit.

Thanks for the kind words.

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    All thank you for pointing this out. We had a lot of discussions on the waterproofing, I absolutely see the missing waterproofing on the niche. YIKES! I do know that a 4ml PVC plan liner goes around the floor and up the walls (not sure how far), I think there was a waterproofing up the wall. We had to have an inspector come out before the tile was laid, (Where they had to leave water in the floor pan). Also used was the orange schleigter (sp) on the entire floor).

What’s on the floor is not on the wall, but just pointing out additional protection.
  • lizziesma
    5 anni fa

I like all your choices. Finish it and enjoy every shower experience!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 anni fa

I love it - I would not do a darker grout though but I would also not do a matching grout... maybe a slight contrast.

Hang in there....

• artistsharonva
    5 anni fa

Overall, it's coming together nicely.

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    So my decision may have been made easier. The shower wall tile in the lot that I currently have is no longer available. There is one that is close, same color but packed on a different day that is available. That may be fine, but thinking it may be risky since I am not in a situation to mix the new box with the others, since it’s already up.
  • DLM2000-GW
    5 anni fa

Sometimes fate steps in and hands you a decision. Since you love that tile and it was the jumping off point for everything else it's going to work out just fine.

• mark_rachel
    5 anni fa

I honestly think it looks great! I would be hesitant to remove the tile & damage the waterproofing behind it. I would keep it. I would go with light gray grout.

• Fori
    5 anni fa

Good. I like the pattern! You like the pattern!

(But as others mentioned, don't neglect to confirm that the shower is waterproof!)

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 anni fa

I think it looks great, it's unique and not out the box like most installs!

• cindylou62
    5 anni fa

No one goes in your shower but you! If that tile makes you smile, that right there is what is important! i would say go with a light grout and enjoy, you have a great eye, a bit of an artist I presume, keep going with you other ideas in the bath and feel like a princess! Again, no one sees a master bath but the masters!!

• PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    5 anni fa

I think you are asking the question when it is too late, I love your color palette, however they are in the wrong locations. Use light grout on the marble!!!

• Laurie Tillett
    5 anni fa
    If you love tile, bit maybe just not in that location (my thoughts as well), tear it out and make a mirror surround in that tile. It will look like a piece of art!
  • artistsharonva
    5 anni fa

It looks fine as is.

It is probably too late, but I think a stripe to floor to ceiling would be nice

• artistsharonva
    5 anni fa

or possibly the whole back wall

• Laura Mac
    5 anni fa

@Creative Tile Eastern, you were 'italicizing' MY questions that I asked her originally after she first posted I thought her back wall was grouted (the one's w/o the spacers) and she was asking if it's too dark.....that's why I was questioning it....

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thanks again everyone. Thought I would post the finished product. Super happy with the space. Now on to the attached master bedroom.
  • mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    And a few from the “before”.
  • Snaggy
    5 anni fa

Nice ..but I like the first tile

• enduring
    5 anni fa

What a restful room. Many happy hours in your new space! It is lovely!

• Brenda
    5 anni fa

Beautiful! What is the wood look tile on the floor? I really like it.

• Utente-161159613
    5 anni fa

Beautiful!

• mea5
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    @br
  • raromeo
    5 anni fa
    love it! really like the accent tile in the shower. what a beautiful transformation. enjoy soaking in that gorgeous tub!
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 anni fa

Beautiful job! Thank you for posting finished pictures ! And thank you very much for doing something other than white and gray marble in the bathroom!

This is so much nicer

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".