Houzz Logo Print
bob_baty

small fruit sales

clan deboye
5 anni fa

I am thinking about attending farmer markets next year. I will have small berries, U of S tart cherries, killarney raspberries some royalty purple and hopefully some saskatoons. I will also look at value added in jams jellies and maybe tart cherry juice. Does anyone have experience is selling these sort of things and what would sell better the jams jellies juice or the raw fruit. I am a total noob to market gardening sales but i have spent a number of years cultivating my miniorchard and want to reap the fruits of my labours LOL .I am pretty sure I will have more fruit than I can sell except for the saskatoons as they are being grown on a heavier soil than they like but they are progressing.

Commenti (2)

• PRO
    Borealis Landscape & Design DBA Skipley Farm
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Skipley Farm grows many small fruits. Jams and Jellies are a waste of time without giant pots and pallet-priced jars.

Went to market for years with some success-mostly to reach out, let peeps know we're here. For us the biggest return is in grapes and apples. After 4 years the Pick-your-own at the farm has made all the difference. With 200 serviceberry, 65 jostaberry, not enough(10) black currant, same with gooseberry(10 plants), a raspberry patch, 200 feet of blackberries, 60 Aronia-a hard sell, 10 Autumn Olive(Amber is tops and ripe now)- and NOT a pest here as it doesn't reseed,

high Elderberry demand and 2 plants is NOT enough, maybe 30 or 40 for the brewers and tincture makers!, 1/2 acre of blueberries-too much weeding for me and mummyberry is a tough constant fungus so overplanting with dwarf apples. Mummyberry is difficult without "cides". Also Kiwiberry (A. arguta), figs and American persimmon hybrids. 1st 3 years only>strawberries for quick cash return. That's it. See layout below.

I set out a business plan 10 years ago and began planting with break-even planned at 7 years. It was 8 years. Pays the mortgage now with apples the biggest return-about $30K on 1 acre of 80 varieties-and not particularly high yielding, 1/3 acre of grapes of 10 seedless table varieties-about $10K. 1 person can operate this with help on weekends for sales>(parking for 60 cars).

Know your customer. Russians love Black Currants, Iranians love Medlar, the Brewers want elder flowers, Gooseberries' demand is from the over 70 age group, Aronia is no one's favorite and needs help as it surpasses all the small fruits in antioxidants and grows anywhere, locals (here) want Italian plums because "everyone had one in their backyard") , Asians like sweet fruit (fugi-type apples).

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".