Houzz Logo Print
wendy_asman

Any suggestions for a concrete-look benchtop?

Wendy Asman
5 anni fa
Ultima modifica:5 anni fa

I'm looking for the rugged concrete look, but it must be easy to clean relatively inexpensive and durable. Please share your thoughts.

Commenti (12)

• PRO
    Proctor Building Solutions
    5 anni fa

Dekton have products that have this or very similar look, very durable and easy to clean, used a lot in domestic and commercial applications due to its scratch and stain resistance, resistance to heat etc.

• Helen Keating
    5 anni fa

If you want concrete 'look' but cheap and easy to clean, then the obvious choice sounds like concrete look laminate. Have you ordered decent sized samples from the manufacturers (Laminex, Nikpol, Formica etc)?

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    5 anni fa

You could try laminate bench top. Its cheaper.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 anni fa

Don't choose a concrete-look benchtop from a photo. Have a look at real-life samples, see how they feel to the touch, and consider how the edge is detailed. Are you building new cabinetwork that has been designed for the extra bench weight if considering a cast option? Or are you replacing an old bench top over existing cabinetwork? Lots of companies, such as Laminex, produce concrete-look laminates which are lightweight (compared to the real thing), cost-effective, and easy to keep clean but aren't as durable as the heavier options such as Dekton and Ceaserstone.

Your choice of edge treatment and a drop-in versus an undermount sink will also affect the installation cost. A lot comes down to your personal preference (especially the touch part) and budget, so do your research.

Concrete and concrete-look benchtops are very much an on-trend fashion item and in 2028 they will seem very 2018 so consider your options for the long term wisely.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · Maggiori informazioni

• Swa Neee
    5 anni fa

Caesarstone cement look benchtop works well for me, just replaced laminate benchtop, so much easier to clean and more durable.

• Robyn Marshall
    5 anni fa
    Ceaserstone "rugged concrete" and "airy concrete" both quite new additions to their range are just gorgeous! Not sure on the price side. To appreciate them you really need to see a big slab.
    Wendy Asman ha ringraziato Robyn Marshall
  • PRO
    Graff Design & Construction
    5 anni fa

Have a look at the Wilsonart high preasure laminate CONCRETE. It looks really good and works well. Have it in my own home as a coffee table top and I love it.

https://www.wilsonart.com.au/laminates/concrete-8170

• bigreader
    5 anni fa
    If you’re bold have a look at DIY concrete benchtops on Pintrest.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 anni fa

With all due respect I am going to disagree with bigreader. Don't look at DIY benchtops unless you are sure that the cabinetwork under the benchtop has been designed and engineered for the additional weight. The most expensive and messiest way to destroy a kitchen is a DIY concrete benchtop over existing cabinetwork. When the concrete pour becomes too heavy for the cabinetwork it collapses and spills wet concrete through the wrecked cabinetwork, then flows on into adjacent rooms. If you don't clean it all up quickly it sets literally like wet concrete. This happened to a client of mine who didn't take my advice not to do it. Some things should be left to the professionals (such as the GFRC guys), and in some areas, you just shouldn't cut corners.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · Maggiori informazioni

• Wendy Asman
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Thanks all. I was considering the Rugged concrete (Cesarstone) however I have read some poor reviews as to staining with the newer "Concrete " range as well as a few customer service issues in regards to chipping ect. I have decided to go with the Concrete Pazzato (Sp?) Essestone for Kitchen Bench, as well as all bathroom vanity benchtops and a more textured , large,concrete stone tile on the floors, throught out the extension/reno. I don't mind if it dates as it is one of the few trends where age and wear and tear is cool.

• theparlourroom
    3 anni fa

Hi Wendy. I was wondering how your benchtop is going. I was considering the caesarstone concrete ones, but the reviews you read make sense to me. Don’t want high maintenance bench tops!! The essastone ones look great. Did you end up going with them? how are they holding up? I’d really appreciate any info you can share with me. Thanks, Deb.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".