Houzz Logo Print
greymom

Need help choosing floor stain

greymom
10 anni fa
I've just finished redoing my kitchen and now need to tackle the floor. The cabinets are bamboo and my table/chairs are cherry. The floors are oak and although old are in good shape just need staining. I'd like some ideas as to color/shade of stain. It's a townhouse with an open floor plan so the wood extends throughout.

Commenti (17)

• bookworm202
    10 anni fa
    Light wood flooring!'
  • hparks74
    10 anni fa
    All I can add is. Test test and retest an inconspicuous spot. We just remodeled our 1948 brick post war and the floors were red oak. I used natural color from Olympic. It made them more red. I wish I would of experimented more enforce stinging 1500 sf. All is not lost, I just had to paint my walls a different color to tone my floors. If you placed any portion and decide to go darker your existing floor will absorb differently then your new of same type of wood.
  • hparks74
    10 anni fa
    Opps...that should of said before staining.
  • greymom
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Wow, sorry for what you went through. :( thanks for that tip. I always test when I paint, but wasn't thinking about that. Glad you reminded me.
  • inpdx
    10 anni fa
    No great wisdom on floors, but nice kitchen.
  • greymom
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @inpdx thank you! :)
  • Marlene Daye
    10 anni fa
    The darker the stain the more the dust shows up..just sayin...dust moping would be your new daily chore on your forever to do list....maybe a med dark stain..
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    I agree very dark floors are a major job to keep up.
  • greymom
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    That's my fear with going dark. So I'm thinking towards light. I think bleached might be too light although I do like the look. Guess I've got to start getting samples. LOL seems you're never done. But have to admit I love making it 'my own'. :)
  • shelleyuk
    10 anni fa
    We have had pale floors and the dust shows up just as much, if not more in my opinion.

I would go with dark floors
  • PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    10 anni fa
    why were the floors not done before the kitchen was installed? its a lot easier to sand and stain without finished cabinetry sitting there. that said.. go dark! it will give the space a grounding that will make the rest of it appear nice and light/bright
  • greymom
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @Rococo in a perfect world you're right. But unfortunately my situation made it easier to do the kitchen first. I have a senior mother living with me. Floors mean moving out for a few days so its going to be difficult. Even now I'm trying to figure out how to work it out. But trust me when the floor does get done I'm going to make sure they're careful! :)
  • Marina Gibbons
    10 anni fa
    Go dark.....we had oak floors done two years ago. It is not that hard to keep up. They're just beautiful.
  • howzzjoe
    10 anni fa
    No matter what the color, the dust is still there and undesirable. Use a steam cleaner with microfiber cloth to zip over the floors very quickly once a day. Five minutes. The dust is collected, and everything is sanitized. Very clean, very green. No mess no fuss no chemicals.
  • howzzjoe
    10 anni fa
    What's missing in your picture is contrast, so go dark. That will contrast with the lighter cabinets nicely and be just beautiful.
  • greymom
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".