Houzz Logo Print
shanikamehta

aluminium sash windows

Shan M
5 anni fa
Hi

I have just bought a 3 bed Victorian terraced house that needs complete renovation (including 3m ground floor extension and loft conversion).

I want to replace all the windows (currently awful stained pvc windows). I would love sash windows as they would fit the character of the house but timber is too expensive and not energy efficient.

Aluminium tops uPVc in performance and durability. But I haven’t seen many aluminium sash windows. Would people advise for or against aluminium sash windows.

Also has Anybody been to any showrooms around London (preferably east) or Essex which have these.

Finally do people advise maybe doing sash at the front of the house and maybe just regular aluminium windows at the back. To save money. Or will that look odd. The ground floor extension will have black aluminium bifolding doors across the full width.

Thanks!

Commenti (11)

• E D
    5 anni fa

Yes, timber windows would look good on this lovely house but if not within the budget I can understand you're looking for alternatives, even though with double glazing they are quite energy efficient.

There are some very good looking UPVC sash windows these days. Everest do a good 'heritage' (or similarly named) style and I'm sure other companies do similar. These are still quite expensive but I don't think you shouldn't compromise on quality and looks too much. Otherwise it's probably not worth replacing the windows.

• Jonathan
    5 anni fa
    I can’t help wondering if your house is a little newer than you think as I wonder if there are 1930’s windows on the street. Whatever you decide UPVC can be a stylish option but my preference would be wood
  • Shan M
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thanks guys.
    I need to replace the windows anyway as they are all very stained.
    Some neighbours on the street have sash windows and some have plain pvc windows like mine and the sash windows look far better imo. The area in general has quite a few houses with sash windows
    I might get a quote just for the front of the house to be timber sash windows and the back to be simple aluminium case windows. Or is mix and matching a no no. I really really want to stay away from uPVC!
  • PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    5 anni fa

Hi Shan,

Please take a look at our website for some inspiration and information on window options for your new home. We have a case study section that may also be helpful. If you'd like to visit a local showroom, you can request to do so on the site.

Here is an article that may help you: https://origin-global.com/advice-centre/aluminium-vs-timber-vs-upvc-frames-for-casement-windows

Best of luck with your project.

• PRO
    The Sash Window Workshop
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Personally we would recommend installing timber sash windows into a period property like yours.

Below is an image of a similar looking property we manufactured and installed timber sash windows in:

Feel free to browse more images in the gallery on our website: https://www.sashwindow.com/sash-windows-inspiration

The Sash Window Workshop
    01344 868 668

• PRO
    Weru UK
    5 anni fa

Hello,

Have you come across the Bygone Collection during your research?

They are award winning timber-alternative traditional sash windows. They have all the character of timber with the low maintenance of uPVC.

Here is a link to their website https://www.bygonecollection.co.uk/

Good luck with your project!

• Tani H-S
    5 anni fa
    I don’t think having different windows at the front and back will matter. A lot of buildings have that anyway - especially if it’s more contemporary at the rear.
  • PRO
    Bereco Windows & Doors
    5 anni fa

Gone are the days of timber windows requiring excessive maintenance. Not only are they the only authentic choice in terms of appearance, particularly where sliding sash windows are concerned but research has shown that they have twice the lifespan of uPVC windows. I understand there is a budget to consider but with timber windows being so flexible these days in terms of style options there are price options available to suit more budgets than what people might think. Quite often if on a budget we do find it to be a good option to go for sliding sash on the front and then perhaps a casement window or even a mock sliding sash on the back of the house. We can help you find the right option. For more information have a browse of our website at www.bereco.co.uk.

• Shan M
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    First quote back. Timber sash windows at the front of the house cost 10k more than upvc
    May have to start a crowdfunding page!
  • PRO
    Bereco Windows & Doors
    5 anni fa

I hate to use this platform to be salesy but I would happily provide you a quotation to compare against. Give us a call on 01709 838 188 or enquire at enquiries@berecoretail.co.uk

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".