Houzz Logo Print
michelle_pether

What plants to use around pool

Michelle Pether
5 anni fa
Ultima modifica:5 anni fa

Hi everyone, we have just completed our backyard renovation and now planting the area. We live in a coastal area and the plants will be in full sun. Planting behind the retaining wall which has a depth of about 40cm so not much space from the existing fenceline.

Need something that won’t have a root system which can damage pool area. Also there is an area at the back of the pool which we need plants with can give some height to hide garden sheds next door. Any help would be so appreciated.

Commenti (19)

• annb1997
    5 anni fa

Some suggestions:

Michelle Pether ha ringraziato annb1997
  • annb1997
    5 anni fa

Also Hibiscus

• julie herbert
    5 anni fa
    And a few more suggestions, waterhousia weeping Lilly pilly, ficus, ornamental pears, I love bamboo but it is really messy and have heard it plays havoc with the filter
    Michelle Pether ha ringraziato julie herbert
  • julie herbert
    5 anni fa
    A creeper could look stylish, Star jasmine, glossy and perfumed
    Michelle Pether ha ringraziato julie herbert
  • Michelle Pether
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Our pool will be magnesium. Thanks everyone for all of your advice really appreciate this . Cheers

• noahcat
    5 anni fa

We have used large pots planted with golden cane palms and diacondra silver falls. Alongside we put in Tropicana lilies.

Michelle Pether ha ringraziato noahcat
  • Deonne Lyness
    5 anni fa

Something to keep in mind is the leaves and/or flowers it will drop. We brought a house with an existing pool and have ripped out most of the plants around the the pool area as they created extra work from the debris they dropped. I just did a google search to find our new plants, but "Red Blood" grevillea was just one we went for.

Michelle Pether ha ringraziato Deonne Lyness
  • gmsa04
    5 anni fa

What about espaliered citrus? Attractive, evergreen and provide fruit.

Michelle Pether ha ringraziato gmsa04
  • Fiona
    5 anni fa
    I agree with La Planta .. Strelitzia Nicolai are great by the pool and will happily grow in a skinny garden ( get them small to plant, they grow very fast and quite big) I’ve got 4 in a tiny garden by the pool and they look tropical and block the neighbours on one side.
    Michelle Pether ha ringraziato Fiona
  • Nacho Dooley
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

What about Cannas? Once established they will withstand the heat from the pool surround and glare off the water. Look for those with variegated foliage so they are still colourful when not flowering. Plant a groundcover like portulaca in front of them (available in many vivid colours) if you have room.

Michelle Pether ha ringraziato Nacho Dooley
  • Gemma
    5 anni fa
    I put these in at the back of pool. Just bought from Bunnings but can’t remember what they’re called. They don’t have much of a root system
    Michelle Pether ha ringraziato Gemma
  • Gemma
    5 anni fa
    Grown a bit now.
  • annb1997
    5 anni fa

The CannaLillies I've had in gardens had very invasive root systems. They spread under the fence to neighbour's garden.

• alecia kanzamar
    5 anni fa

Gemma what are the tiles around your poo?

Michelle Pether ha ringraziato alecia kanzamar
  • alecia kanzamar
    5 anni fa

Pool

• PRO
    Designer Plants Aust.
    5 anni fa

Hi there Michelle,

Have you thought about using artificial Vertical Gardens/Hedges on the fence?

It's crazy how like-like it looks and it is all UV protected to ensure longevity.

We are located in VIC (ship across Aus) and using our product by the pool wont affect it at all!

There's so many designs to choose from and it is extremely easy to install.

If you are still not sure get in touch with us today and we can send you up some samples to show you just how good the product is!

Below are some photos of previous jobs we have done to give you an idea - many more on our Houzz Profile!

Cheers,

Aidan

Designer Plants Australia

• John Walsh
    24 giorni fa

Strelitzia nicolai has been suggested as a good pool side plant - but it's also said they have invasive root systems ? What's the truth ?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".