Houzz Logo Print
hilaryw12

Help with flooring in hallway and stairs

Hilary Wilde
6 anni fa

I'm after a bit of advice and some opinions too :) We live in an old victorian rectory and I rather optimistically ripped up our carpets and plywood hoping to find a lovely timber floor underneath. Unfortunately it is a mish mash of broken planks, several different types of wood and gaps you could get your hand through. So I need to cover them up. I was looking at timber floors which are lovely however we had them in our previous house and with 3 children and 2 dogs they were terribly scratched and dulled after a few years. I really don't want carpet again as with the kids and dogs it's also a nightmare. Tiles would be too cold (can't put underfloor heating in) so it leads me to LVT. Would it be absolute sacrilege to put them in an old house? I also am not sure how I tie that in with the stairs. If I strip the treads and paint the risers white will it look odd next to the fake wood? Thanks.

Commenti (21)

• Hilary Wilde
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Oh I also forgot to add that I will be continuing the flooring into the living room on the right. Not sure if that's super relevant but thought I'd add it anyway :)

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 anni fa

and you can match the stair case too

Hilary Wilde ha ringraziato ARC Bespoke Interiors
  • E D
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

That's a great, spacious hallway.

Although you dismissed timber, have you considered reclaimed solid wooden flooring? Then the 'lived in' look is part of its charm and would work really well with your home's character methinks.

Could look great with some lovely rugs/ runners.

Hilary Wilde ha ringraziato E D
  • PRO
    Catherine White Interiors
    6 anni fa

This sounds a bit mad, but have you thought of woven vinyl flooring? It is very lovely, you can clean it easily, the one thing I would worry about is claws.. so you'll have to take a view. Might be a tad slippy too, so think about nosing. but it's another option. You can get some interesting nosing details too. Also I don't think LVT is a terrible idea, but as long as you buy one high spec enough, that it has a thick wear layer (clear bit at the top) so that scratches can be buffed out if need be. My favourite Woven Flooring Brand is Bolon. My favourite LVT brand is Amtico. Hope that 's helpful. :)

Hilary Wilde ha ringraziato Catherine White Interiors
  • Hilary Wilde
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks everyone. I do love the look of old wood, our last house was a new build so the floors were new and glossy which meant they did look awful after a couple of years but maybe old bashed up wood would wear better. The only thing is that the floors look a lot better in the picture than in real life! I would probably have to replace about 75% of the boards that are down (the darker ones are the only originals left) though so is that going to be prohibitively expensive?

I haven't heard of woven vinyl flooring, that may be an option for the upper hall (which I thought I might have to carpet). I'll look into that - thank you.

• E D
    6 anni fa

I'm sure you can lay reclaimed wood on top of the floorboards (so a whole new floor) with some adaptive measures. I think that's what floorboards are generally there for.

Might also result in better insulation.

• Hilary Wilde
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Does that mean that I'd have to take the skirting off as I suspect part of the wall would fall off too?
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 anni fa

you just need a floor sanding machines, that will be the great heavy big floor sander and edging sanding machine, and a expert , who can replace the damaged boards,

• Hilary Wilde
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Hmm, the 2 companies that have looked at it have said that the floors are beyond saving. Maybe I need a 3rd opinion...
  • E D
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Possibly aesthetically it's nicer if you remove the skirting but it's perfectly possible to leave the skirting and lay the floor (nearly) up to the skirting boards and finish with some kind of wooden beading, either in the colour of the wood or in the colour of the skirting (which I would prefer).

You will then loose a few cm height of the skirting (the thickness of the new flooring plus underlay).

• dianahartaboyne
    6 anni fa
    The place looks divine, lucky you! I’d go sisal on floor and stairs, hides a multitude of sins and to my eye, looks great with wear and tear of kids and dogs, but I do love a lived in look!
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 anni fa

I am a EXPERT,all i was doing was floor sanding at 1 part of my life,and i currently still doing floor instalations have a look at my project or click on to my website on my houzz page

• Hilary Wilde
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I think I might be a bit far of a trek for you Bespoke Interiors. I'm in the Scottish Highlands.

Diana, sisal does sound lovely, I think though that I do want the wood look. Although lived in is definitely my style
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 anni fa

I have had a lot of sweat dripped in the Scottish Highlands for over 6 mths, in Edinburgh being precisely, if a customer giving me the honour to doing a job for them , we would be greatly take on the contract and travel where necessary, as long as travel and accommodations is covered and the jobs worth while, it should not be any hassle.

• susanglascoed
    6 anni fa
    You could paint the floor, an easy and smart option, then add a large rug or two. It will wear but still looks good if you choose a dark colour - a pale one is pretty hopeless in my experience as the mass of dark edges spoils the effect. If it's a suspended floor, it can be insulated from below in many cases. Or paint and stencil it if you want to be really ambitious......
    Hilary Wilde ha ringraziato susanglascoed
  • litigationlawyer
    6 anni fa
    You don’t necessarily have to take the skirting boards off. We had solid wood floors laid and the fitter under cut the skirting boards just enough to fit it underneath. If you do use beading paint it the same colour as the skirting and it is less obvious and more elegant.
    Hilary Wilde ha ringraziato litigationlawyer
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 anni fa

I would use sisal on stairs and herringbone parquet on floors. The pattern would be forgiving in terms of wear and you could use Bona Traffic varnish which is really tough.

Hilary Wilde ha ringraziato Juliet Docherty
  • Hilary Wilde
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks everyone. Some really useful comments here and further thought to be had. Now to go and get some quotes...

• PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    6 anni fa

Hi Hilary,

We can't help but imagine a beautiful parquet floor in that hallway - we agree with colourhappy about having a durable carpet on the stairs too to add contrast. Hallways in old houses just ask for parquet, and you could go modern or traditional with the colour. Here's some inspiration:

Goodrich Salted Oak · Maggiori informazioni
    Goodrich Salted Oak

Goodrich Coffee Oak · Maggiori informazioni
    Goodrich Coffee Oak

Goodrich Espresso Oak · Maggiori informazioni
    Goodrich Espresso Oak

You can order free samples from our website if you'd like to take a closer look.

Best wishes,

Hannah | Woodpecker Flooring

• PRO
    Ted Todd
    6 anni fa

Hi Hilary,

The floors from our Strada Collection could be the perfect
    option for you as they have been uniquely multi lacquered for a
    scratch-resistant, easy to maintain finish created with busy homes with
    children and pets in mind. See the collection and order free samples
    here: www.tedtodd.co.uk/product-category/strada/

Best wishes,

Fiona

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".